Rattling after installing SRI

Pesty

:
White 2003.5 Proteg5
found a pretty decent deal on an e-bay SRI (https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned))

Install went smooth, no problems there, so seems like a pretty good find for $35 shipped.

Only issue I noticed is a little bit of vibration, rattling, something of those sorts in the throttle of all things. It's most noticeable at take-off from a dead stop at low RPM's right when letting off the clutch, and only really in the gas pedal, although I can feel it a little bit throughout the revs when the engine is actually under load (not really with the clutch engaged).

I double checked everything and all is tight. Only thing I'm seeing is that the first tube where it goes into the throttle body is barely touching the end of the master cylinder. Could the vibration from the intake touching master cylinder be getting transfered all the way through the throttle cable, could it be something else, or am I just going crazy?

Anyone else experienced this issue? If this is the case, any thoughts on how to get rid of it? I was thinking maybe a little Dynamat or some thermal insulating tape around the pipe.

Thoughts or suggestions would be greatly apriciated.

Pretzellogic said:
It's a reoccurring problem.

Search the forums. It's been addressed.

yea, I kinda figured as much, but I hadn't seen anyone else who was feeling it in the petal. I figured there may be an audible rattle from it rubbing on the MC, but feeling it in the throttle just kinda threw me off. I'll try to track down some self adhesive foam of some sort and see if that gets rid of it. Not really even an annoyance, just odd sounds and un-explained feelings get me concerned.

Pesty said:
Anyone else experienced this issue? If this is the case, any thoughts on how to get rid of it? I was thinking maybe a little Dynamat or some thermal insulating tape around the pipe.

Thoughts or suggestions would be greatly apriciated.

What I did was cram the rubber sleeve down past the little stop ear deals on the throttle body to get an extra 1/2 " or so of space between the pipe & brake line off master cylinder. I even ended up cutting notches in the sleeve around the ears on the throttle body so it fit better. Something will end up with a hole if you let it keep rubbing then you would have unfiltered air going in or brake fluid leak. You can also play with the angle the pipe comes out of the other end of the sleeve a very little bit as well to help. Between both of those I got enough to keep it from rubbing or rattling.

Yup, intake is rubbing the master cylinder. 2 fixes. Cut and inch off of the piece that connects to the throttle body. Or, adjust the brackets so it does not rub. I did the latter, been fine since.

Yo man, come out to a meet. Its for sure your master cylindar and intake. Fix it quick, it could destroy your MC.

I had the same problem w/ an EBAY cold air intake. I did not have any rubbing in the engine bay, but my filter was actually tapping a piece of metal inside of the wheel well when the car was idling and when I would begin rolling, because of the engine vibration. The piece of metal I'm talking about is right behind the foglights, so you have to pull down that plastic piece that covers the bottom of the driver side wheel well (just under the filter). It was tapping the corner of it, so I just bent it w/ my hands and the problem was gone.

Back