Rattle

Sounds exactly like what I am experiencing! It has been relatively cold here until mid this week and it barely happens (when cold), but once it sits out in the parking lot heating up and I drive it home after work it does it at least once usually more. Mine was built in May (don't know if that is important). Are you going to take it to the dealer? I'm going back and forth on to take it again soon or just wait until I get an oil change. If you do and they find a fix please let me know and I will do the same.

I think this is a futile attempt taking it to the dealer, and saying: "rattle somewhere there, on certain occasions - fix it". I looked at SkyActiv TSBs, most of them are for CX5, and quiet a few deal with different kin if rattles. You can look through them yourself. Most of the fixes that the factory comes up with through those TSB involve some elaborate maneuverings, for example:

1. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B25LTCZZu_VucmxhVHRoVW1yUk0/image?pagenumber=1&w=800

or, more complex:

2. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY4-KaDJV-WTNUTEJuZm1LVU0/edit?usp=drive_web

SO, CONCLUSION: unless there is a TSB for our Mazda 6 for that rattle somewhere in the dash, when the car warms up, NO WAY the dealer will know how to fix it. Dealer mechanics are more nuts and bolts guys, they are not engineers to trouble shoot problems like the ones on the links above, on their own. It has to be done by factory engineers

One more, very interesting, and most similar to you and mine issue:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY4-KaDJV-X1lldXVyMHhhVFU/edit?usp=drive_web

I have also looked at these TSB's. I have taken my car to the dealer for this problem already (they didn't fix it obviously) and I even printed this TSB for the rattle noise by windshield and gave it to them as reference. I don't think they even paid attention to it. They rode with me and heard the noise and contacted Mazda corp. before taking my car for a couple days. Mazda seemed to think it was something with the steering column. They said they fixed a rattle on the steering column and found a speaker grille on the dash out of place. However it was not the rattle I was concerned with.

While I agree it is probably a crap shoot, obviously something is wrong and we shouldn't be hearing a sound like that. I will try to troubleshoot it on my own and maybe mention something again when I call for an oil change.

Last edited:
I have also looked at these TSB's. I have taken my car to the dealer for this problem already (they didn't fix it obviously) and I even printed this TSB for the rattle noise by windshield and gave it to them as reference. I don't think they even paid attention to it. They rode with me and heard the noise and contacted Mazda corp. before taking my car for a couple days. Mazda seemed to think it was something with the steering column. They said they fixed a rattle on the steering column and found a speaker grille on the dash out of place. However it was not the rattle I was concerned with.

While I agree it is probably a crap shoot, obviously something is wrong and we shouldn't be hearing a sound like that. I will try to troubleshoot it on my own and maybe mention something again when I call for an oil change.

It is very good that you mentioned this problem to the dealer, and even left them your car for a couple of days to "figure it out". I think this is how the factory comes out with TSBs - when they see a log of complaints, all pertaining to a similar issue.

I just had a first service done 3 weeks ago, but did not mention dashboard rattle, but now that I think about it, I will next time I'm in. I'll add to the log, and speed up TSB release by my limited available means:)

I have another problem though: squeaky/clunky brakes at ultra-low speeds, when I reverse tiny bit, then go forward tiny bit, than reverse again - like when pulling out from a tight parking spot. Sometimes the clunk is very obvious and loud... 5,600 miles on the odo, and the car is somewhat babied and not abused

It is very good that you mentioned this problem to the dealer, and even left them your car for a couple of days to "figure it out". I think this is how the factory comes out with TSBs - when they see a log of complaints, all pertaining to a similar issue.

I just had a first service done 3 weeks ago, but did not mention dashboard rattle, but now that I think about it, I will next time I'm in. I'll add to the log, and speed up TSB release by my limited available means:)

I have another problem though: squeaky/clunky brakes at ultra-low speeds, when I reverse tiny bit, then go forward tiny bit, than reverse again - like when pulling out from a tight parking spot. Sometimes the clunk is very obvious and loud... 5,600 miles on the odo, and the car is somewhat babied and not abused

Sounds good. :)

Interesting about the brakes. Not sure if I have that, but I'll keep my ears open.

Guys, I have been lately experiencing some rattle in my passenger door side, initially I thought this is coming from the outside mirror but now I've realised this is indeed creeping up from the passenger door. But hey, this rattle is only there when the speakers/woofers(BOSE) are on, that is when the music is playing nice and crisp. Are the woofers/speakers overpowering the door setup? Or is it due to something internal that's causing this?

Guys, I have been lately experiencing some rattle in my passenger door side, initially I thought this is coming from the outside mirror but now I've realised this is indeed creeping up from the passenger door. But hey, this rattle is only there when the speakers/woofers(BOSE) are on, that is when the music is playing nice and crisp. Are the woofers/speakers overpowering the door setup? Or is it due to something internal that's causing this?

I have this type of rattle every time. You just have something in the passenger door storage compartment:) easy fix for me: remove water bottle, keys, lighter, even 3 UPS receipts, or whatever else might be in there:)

yes, I do have some stuff in the glove box, but nothing in the door storage units. I'll try to get everything out and check it out once. This did come to my mind but then the rattle was just in the doors.

Latest posts

Back