Rattle

CIQMan07

:
Mazda 6 GT, Soul Red
I have had my Mazda6 GT for a month now with a little over 1600 miles. I still love the car, but I have noticed a rattle creep up. The rattle I'm almost positive is the outside door covering the SD card slot for the navigation. I believe it it the bottom hinges rattling. It seems to happen on rough roads and when I push on the door it stops. I just went out and tapped around the area (especially on the end of the dash if you have the door open) and sure enough it rattled, but if I held the door in a bit it doesn't (hold in down by hinges). Not sure if it's something I need to take to the dealer or try to find a fix myself (felt pads or something). Anyone else have this issue? Did you fix/have it fixed? I know it is minor, but a brand new car that rattles is kind of annoying.

Interestingly, I believe I have the same issue. I have just over 2000 miles. I just haven't had the time to investigate. I know there's a TSB for a rattle in/around the glove box but haven't seen anything about this one. Please update if you find a solution. I hate bringing the car to a dealership if there's a simple solution.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't be of much help.

-Moto

Thanks for the reply.

I have heard about the TSB for a rattle around the glove box which thankfully I don't have. I did some more searching on this and nothing so far on the SD slot door. I had some sticky backed Velcro pads around the house so I took the "fuzzier" pad and left the backing on it and just laid it in place and closed the door. I didn't want to stick anything down without knowing if it would work or not, it didn't. I decided to e-mail Mazda (I had a couple of other questions and just included this as well). I will let you know what they come back with.

Heard back from Mazda. They recommended that I take it to the dealer. I'll probably just wait until my first oil change. We will see.

Update: I had another rattle crop up around a few hundred miles ago. It sounds like its coming from the base of the windshield where the dashboard meets the glass. Over frost heaves or similar bumps it makes a tapping noise. It sounds like it is similar to a CX-5 TSB. I took it to the dealer this weekend and they had to call Mazda. I heard back today from them and Mazda believes it is something with the steering column. I don't agree, but I'm taking it in next Monday for a few days so they can look at it. I think I'm going to print out the CX-5 TSB that sounds more like what I have and give it to them. We shall see. They are also going to look into the SD card slot cover. I will update next week.

I got my car back today! Good news and bad news. Good news, they fixed the SD card cover at least as far as I can tell. Bad news, the tapping noise coming from the edge of the windshield is still there. It is better and doesn't happen as often, but it still does. They said a speaker grille was out of place. That might of been some of it, but obviously not all. They also said they adjusted something in the steering column (another rattle they said). I'm kind of disappointed, but it's better than before. I'm going to live with it unless it gets worse.

Do you know what they did for the SD door... mine does that...
I also get a noise when I'm driving over some roads if my steering is set low, I just adjust it a tad higher and it goes away.

For the SD card cover they said they adjusted it and installed foam tape on latch. It fits tighter, but it still seems to rattle. If I open it and push it in slightly it will stop. I'll have to try something on my own I guess.

What did your noise sound like? Mine is a tapping or clicking noise. To me it sounds like it's coming from the center of the dashboard, but if this is a similar sound to what you have I might have to try adjusting the steering column.

I don't know if I'm being too picky (like the wife says :p), but it kinda sucks paying that much for a car and it to have rattles.

For the SD card cover they said they adjusted it and installed foam tape on latch. It fits tighter, but it still seems to rattle. If I open it and push it in slightly it will stop. I'll have to try something on my own I guess.

What did your noise sound like? Mine is a tapping or clicking noise. To me it sounds like it's coming from the center of the dashboard, but if this is a similar sound to what you have I might have to try adjusting the steering column.

I don't know if I'm being too picky (like the wife says :p), but it kinda sucks paying that much for a car and it to have rattles.

I put some felt tape around it and that seems to have helped it... mine was a little tapping.

my biggest issue is a resonance like rattle at low speed (less than 20mph) on some roads... sounds like the whole dash and/or the steering is rattling.

Of course, my issue is my poor car was t-boned, and had so much bodywork ($15K worth), I'm sure the dealer is going to balk on any rattle repairs.
(The car right now is in the body shop for some fixes to the repair). When I brought it up, they said it wasn't accident related. since they think it's on the drivers side, and the damage was on the passenger side.

I've had my 2014 mazda 6 for 5 full month nite and 5,500 miles. No rattle from SD slot, but when hitting a particular bump/pothole there is a rattle on a spot somewhere deep behind and somewhat above A/C controls. At least it sounds to me that thatiswhere it's coming from. Not every bump/ pothole causes it, but the rattle is definitely there

Last edited:
Also, where do you guys look up service bulletins?? Anyone press share this info

I put some felt tape around it and that seems to have helped it... mine was a little tapping.

my biggest issue is a resonance like rattle at low speed (less than 20mph) on some roads... sounds like the whole dash and/or the steering is rattling.

Of course, my issue is my poor car was t-boned, and had so much bodywork ($15K worth), I'm sure the dealer is going to balk on any rattle repairs.
(The car right now is in the body shop for some fixes to the repair). When I brought it up, they said it wasn't accident related. since they think it's on the drivers side, and the damage was on the passenger side.

Sorry to hear you were t-boned, good thing you are ok!

I've had my 2014 mazda 6 for 5 full month nite and 5,500 miles. No rattle from SD slot, but when hitting a particular bump/pothole there is a rattle on a spot somewhere deep behind and somewhat above A/C controls. At least it sounds to me that thatiswhere it's coming from. Not every bump/ pothole causes it, but the rattle is definitely there

The rattle I have is weird. It seems to occur mostly on bumps where both wheels go over it at the same time, like railroad tracks, frost heaves, or expansion joints, bumps similar to that. Sometimes it occurs when I barely feel the bump, but there is the rattle. The sound is more of a Tick or Tap. It also happens sometimes when I accelerate from a stop or accelerating from slowing but not fully stopping. It has gotten cold here and it seems to be less or non-existent (at least in the morning), but as the day heats up and the sun hits the dash it seems to do it more. I'm not sure anymore if it is coming from where the dash meets the windshield. I'm trying different things to see if I can pin-point it.

As for the service bulletins, you can Google "Sky-active TSB's" or in the main "2014 Mazda6 Forum" down at the bottom there is a sticky for all the sky-active TSB's.

Last edited:
My '09 Honda Fit Sport did that from day one until it was totaled 18 months and 30K later. Several attempts to correct it along the way, I ultimately surrendered to the fact that it was a design flaw in the car, and therefore not going away. Perhaps it's the same situation here, especially if the issue is reported to be widespread.

The rattle I have is weird. It seems to occur mostly on bumps where both wheels go over it at the same time, like railroad tracks, frost heaves, or expansion joints, bumps similar to that. Sometimes it occurs when I barely feel the bump, but there is the rattle. The sound is more of a Tick or Tap. It also happens sometimes when I accelerate from a stop or accelerating from slowing but not fully stopping. It has gotten cold here and it seems to be less or non-existent (at least in the morning), but as the day heats up and the sun hits the dash it seems to do it more. I'm not sure anymore if it is coming from where the dash meets the windshield. I'm trying different things to see if I can pin-point it.

As for the service bulletins, you can Google "Sky-active TSB's" or in the main "2014 Mazda6 Forum" down at the bottom there is a sticky for all the sky-active TSB's.

Thanks for the info on how to locate TSBs. As to the rattle - sounds just like my situation. Two wheel over the bump at the same time - Tick, a bump I barely feel - tick. Mine sounds like coming from the inside of the dashboard - above climate controls but below NAV, inside the dash. On a hot day (I'm in LA), when my car is parked outside (I use sunshade to protect dash somewhat), just lurching forward from the parking spot - Tick. The colder the car the less likely Tick to occur. But with bumps and frost heaves - Tick.

Also, I have been listening to my car better, and I can see how the structure react to bump/frost heaves/potholes impacts - mind you, I'm careful with my baby - I can feel frame rail underneath my feet shudder on certain occasion; I can hear quarter panel and B-pillar reverberate when I hit a frost heave with one wheel. Also, when making a turn at 15 or so MPH, and the pavement underneath is not perfect that Tick in dash is guaranteed.

Oh well...

Thanks for the info on how to locate TSBs. As to the rattle - sounds just like my situation. Two wheel over the bump at the same time - Tick, a bump I barely feel - tick. Mine sounds like coming from the inside of the dashboard - above climate controls but below NAV, inside the dash. On a hot day (I'm in LA), when my car is parked outside (I use sunshade to protect dash somewhat), just lurching forward from the parking spot - Tick. The colder the car the less likely Tick to occur. But with bumps and frost heaves - Tick.

Also, I have been listening to my car better, and I can see how the structure react to bump/frost heaves/potholes impacts - mind you, I'm careful with my baby - I can feel frame rail underneath my feet shudder on certain occasion; I can hear quarter panel and B-pillar reverberate when I hit a frost heave with one wheel. Also, when making a turn at 15 or so MPH, and the pavement underneath is not perfect that Tick in dash is guaranteed.

Oh well...

Sounds exactly like what I am experiencing! It has been relatively cold here until mid this week and it barely happens (when cold), but once it sits out in the parking lot heating up and I drive it home after work it does it at least once usually more. Mine was built in May (don't know if that is important). Are you going to take it to the dealer? I'm going back and forth on to take it again soon or just wait until I get an oil change. If you do and they find a fix please let me know and I will do the same.

rattle

Sounds exactly like what I am experiencing! It has been relatively cold here until mid this week and it barely happens (when cold), but once it sits out in the parking lot heating up and I drive it home after work it does it at least once usually more. Mine was built in May (don't know if that is important). Are you going to take it to the dealer? I'm going back and forth on to take it again soon or just wait until I get an oil change. If you do and they find a fix please let me know and I will do the same.

I had a rattle that I swore was coming from the right side area near where the windshield glass meets the dash. It was driving me crazy. However, the passenger couldn't hear it, but when they did, they thought it was coming from my side. My wife finally figured out the problem. It was a pair of reading glasses that I had put in the sunglass holder, which doesn't have anything except a little felt padding. Drove me crazy, and I felt stupid when she figured it out.

I had a rattle that I swore was coming from the right side area near where the windshield glass meets the dash. It was driving me crazy. However, the passenger couldn't hear it, but when they did, they thought it was coming from my side. My wife finally figured out the problem. It was a pair of reading glasses that I had put in the sunglass holder, which doesn't have anything except a little felt padding. Drove me crazy, and I felt stupid when she figured it out.

Everyone that has heard it thought it was coming more from the drivers side as well. However I do know it is not the sunglass holder because it will happen when I'm wearing my sunglasses and nothing is in the holder. I wish it were that simple though (argh). Thanks for the heads-up though!

Back