rare violent and rough engine starts....

I'm not quite sure what a lack of oil sound is. lol But the oil level is fine but obviously all in the bottom of the pan at cold start up.
It didn't rev up quite as high as it normally does then the idle dropped like it does when acting up, it tried to recover but died out. It really sounds like if I were to give it a bit of gas it would have kept running.

Did you contact the dealer on the issue?

I plan to. Working now. Unfortunately my dealer is across the city from me and they will have to at least keep it a few days to get some cold starts in.

Have an appt with Mazda on the 24th to do a reflash. They said they hadn't heard of it but then called me back and said that there is in fact a reflash for this issue. Unfortunately the 24th is the earliest I can get it done.

Nodnerb - Thanks for prelim report, looking forward to your later feedback after reflash.

Your incident was unusual, since it actually stalled once.

Like to hear longer term follow up report from those w/reflash.

Well i got the reflash today. The guy said that it wasnt to fix this specific issue though. He said it was a general reflash of the pcm from mazda that 'may' fix it. But i guess it fixes something. I wish there was a list of what it addresses. We'll see how it goes. But for anyone going in for any service you might as well ask for the most recent reflash no matter what you are there for.

Very snowy and blizzardy day here though. Got a much needed wash from mazda and some time in the snow. Was leaving everyone spinning at the stop lights with the cx5 and winter tires. :)

Last edited:
I had same problem took it in two weeks ago they replaced spark plugs and has not happened since they installed new spark plugs---not sure why originals would be bad.

I've had my 3rd incident in just over 10K miles recently, my next oil change is serveral months from now so I will wait. So far we've had only one poster actually have the dealer do some kind of reflash/update.

I'm up to my 4th relatively minor incident of this kind in 11K miles, cool morning around 50 degrees F. Lasted a couple seconds this time, with what sounded like a single backfire.

Update: When I took the vehicle in earlier this year, they only ran a diagnostics check and told me they couldn't do anything. That said, I haven't had a recurrence in a long time. Seems to be working fine with no problems.

Codyzoom-Thanks for report, sound like no reflash by your dealer service.

I'll wait 'til my next oil change and mention it then (and see if they do reflash).

It's no big deal (only happened 4 times). I never drive off until the 30 second cold engine drill subsides.

I'm up to my 4th relatively minor incident of this kind in 11K miles, cool morning around 50 degrees F. Lasted a couple seconds this time, with what sounded like a single backfire.

When it happens has the car been sitting for longer than when it does not happen?

Hello everyone!
I from Russia, the city of Petrozavodsk (North-West)
At us also as well as at you car Mazda CX-5 is on sale
Cost $40000. At us in Russia also the problem that the car is not got from the first, happens and from the second does not start to work. Our engineers official dillers yet have not found the decision of a problem.

Our forum for discussion:
http://cx-5.ru/forums/topic/921/page __ st __ 1540

Video of a problem:
http://youtu.be/mOV4M8W-AHY

It is necessary to write the letter to Japan.
The general efforts a problem we shall more quickly solve.

I am sorry for bad language, translated a computer.
Respectfully, Ilya

Last edited:
At us in Russia also the problem that the car is not got from the first, happens and from the second does not start to work. Our engineers official dillers yet have not found the decision of a problem.

First step: Download error codes from OBD port

First step: Download error codes from OBD port
This was done immediately. The result is the error exists.
Does not help and the change of gas stations, as well as fuels 95 or 98.
This behavior is observed only at temperatures of zero and below.
CX-5 car owners in Russia don't know that already do.
We have winter temperatures are very low and the car runs frequently from the second, third, fourth, fifth time. The computer does not fix the errors, deviations from the official supplier of computer software were found.
Might you have any suggestions to solve the problem?

Got the re-flash done 2 weeks ago. So far no issues.

Me too, so far. And it has been getting down into the -20s C lately. But it was sporadic so I'm not gonna count it fixed for a while yet. I'm told the reflash isn't specifically for this issue, but that it 'may' address it.

Back