rare violent and rough engine starts....

Happened to us this morning as the temp outside was 40 degrees (4.4 C for those in Europe) went up to 2,500 RPM for 2 seconds down to 1,500 for another two seconds then back up to 2,000 before leveling out. Let's see what happens in below freezing temps.

Did the same thing ^^ to me this morning.
Im a bit worried for next winter, -20/-28 is common, here in my neighborhood.

Happened to me for the second time today. Sounds like the engine is stumbling and will stall out for about 5 seconds then resumes the normal high rpm startup before settling down. It actually sounds like an old car that runs on after turning off the ignition. And it's only 5 degrees C. It gets down to -30 here. Pretty worried about winter if it does this before the temps even get to 0.
I'd like to hear from someone about the reflash and if it helped as well.

Happened to us this morning as the temp outside was 40 degrees (4.4 C for those in Europe) went up to 2,500 RPM for 2 seconds down to 1,500 for another two seconds then back up to 2,000 before leveling out. Let's see what happens in below freezing temps.

Mine did something similar last night for the first time in 2,300 miles, although it was actually fairly warm out (50ish F). It zoomed higher up in RPMs than usual upon starting, but did settle down after a few seconds to the normal startup revs, then calmed down as usual a few seconds after that. No stumbling, just an odd surge in RPMs being higher than usual (even for a startup) for the first few seconds.

I've otherwise started it a dozen-ish times now in near-freezing temps (low 30s F) without issue.

Just like you katmar, after that one episode it hasn't happened again. I tried to go out and record it the next couple of days as temps by me went down to about 36-37 but the car started up as usual without any abnormal RPM surges. Somehow I don't think this will be a near major issue.

Mine did it the other morning, the rpms dropped way low to the point i thought it was going to stall, then they jumped up and down to 2k and then leveled off to the normal starting procedure. The weird flucations lasted about 3-5 seconds. This was a attached garage kept car starting up in the morning.

Sad to say this just happened to me this am as well. My car is garage kept. About 5 celcius outside. Engine had same symptoms as a wet ignition. Stumbled. Threatened to stall. Then normal high rpm and back to normal again. At 4500 kilometers now. Weird. If there is no light or engine code. The modern day tech won't know what to look for. Will wait and see what happens. I will hook up my data reader and check for a soft code later.

i've noticed the same thing up here in my part of the woods. i dont think the cx5 likes cold weather. when its around 40 or below, it doesnt sound like it wants to start

I've had this happen about a dozen times now. Going to start recording my start up s with phone incase it happens again. It's odd , always start s just sounds terrible when it happens to hesitate.

I've had this happen about a dozen times now. Going to start recording my start up s with phone incase it happens again. It's odd , always start s just sounds terrible when it happens to hesitate.

Happened to me again this morning. -5C outside, car in the garage. Since you're in Canada too I imagine you are also concerned with what will happen to our cars at -30C. I wonder what legal recourse we may have if it turns out our $35,000 cars can only be driven 6 months out of the year?

For those of you with this problem... does it seem to run OK after the rough start once it does get going? Any drivability problems once it's warmed up?

For those of you with this problem... does it seem to run OK after the rough start once it does get going? Any drivability problems once it's warmed up?

Yes it runs ok after the rough start, no driveability problems once warmed up.

I've only experienced this issue 2 times in 10K miles, outside temperatures were in the 40-55 (F) degree range. It lasted no more than 5 seconds each time.
Otherwise I get the usual and expected cold start noise for the first 10-30 seconds.

I still want to hear back from agintech, his dealer did a reflash that was supposed to address the problem.

Last edited:
Has happened to me as well.

I have an audio recording of it, but I don't know how to attach it here.

I'm in touch with my dealer about it. They have mentioned the reflash as well. They said the reflash will take a bit less than an hour to do.

P

Happened to me again this morning. -5C outside, car in the garage. Since you're in Canada too I imagine you are also concerned with what will happen to our cars at -30C. I wonder what legal recourse we may have if it turns out our $35,000 cars can only be driven 6 months out of the year?

Are you always this dramatic?

I think it's funny that so many people get so wound up about a little glitch in the programming of the cold-start routine. I've had a few sub-freezing cold starts here and there has been nothing unusual except it does seem sometimes the cold start fast idle varies a little from start to start. Sometimes it idles up to 2000 rpm's, sometimes (on even colder mornings) it only idles to 1500 rpms. The manual says it's normal for the cold engine to idle high for a short period to speed warm-up.

Not in my wildest fantasy would I think this would impact my ability to use the car in winter weather!

Are you always this dramatic?

I think it's funny that so many people get so wound up about a little glitch in the programming of the cold-start routine. I've had a few sub-freezing cold starts here and there has been nothing unusual except it does seem sometimes the cold start fast idle varies a little from start to start. Sometimes it idles up to 2000 rpm's, sometimes (on even colder mornings) it only idles to 1500 rpms. The manual says it's normal for the cold engine to idle high for a short period to speed warm-up.

Not in my wildest fantasy would I think this would impact my ability to use the car in winter weather!

Well, it sounds as if you are obviously not having the issue that some of us are where the car is sputtering and almost dies on initial startup when the temps get to 0C. I don't think it is too over dramatic to be a bit concerned about how it will perform in -35C starts when it is already acting up at 0C.

Last edited:
I was being 'intentionally' over dramatic about only being able to drive the car 6 months out of the year, yes. I didn't think the exaggeration would be taken so literal.
If I lived in California though, I wouldn't be as concerned with it either. But, I live in Canada. Our winter climates differ ever so slightly.(sarcasm)
I will obviously be contacting my dealer about a reflash as well and hope it helps.

Last edited:
Well, it sounds as if you are obviously not having the issue that some of us are where the car is sputtering and almost dies on initial startup when the temps get to 0C. I don't think it is too over dramatic to be a bit concerned about how it will perform in -35C starts when it is already acting up at 0C.

Don't worry about MikeM the guy gets incredibly angry if you don't think like him. He thinks that if he doesn't have issues no one should and if you do you are not intelligent! (braindead and don't ever tell him fuelly is not 100% accurate, if you do you are apparently a caveman who never seen a car in his life. But it is ok with MikeM if you expect two different manufacturers of a product to have the same exact look, feel, features as each other (lol2) Some people forget why forums are around, a lot of these things are new to people.

You're 100% right with your concern Nodnerb and I hope this does not pose a major problem for you in the future. Hope to hear good things when temps dip lower up in Canada.

I was being 'intentionally' over dramatic about only being able to drive the car 6 months out of the year, yes. I didn't think the exaggeration would be taken so literal.
If I lived in California though, I wouldn't be as concerned with it either. But, I live in Canada. Our winter climates differ ever so slightly.(sarcasm)
I will obviously be contacting my dealer about a reflash as well and hope it helps.

Yes, we know. Dramatically looking to legal recourse when a warranty-covered issue comes up hopefully shouldn't be take literally, waste of time.

If you notice my location (it's not listed as a huge region like United States or Canada), it's northern California which includes many of the high Sierra ski resorts with subzero temperatures and some of the largest annual snowfall totals in North America, it's not mild climate San Diego for example. As far as I can tell by your profile you live in balmy Victoria so why the drama...

Agreed, reflash should be tried, it worked for agingtech. I am concerned and want it fixed.

Last edited:
Back