Rain sensing wiper sensitivity question

:
CX5
If the rain sensing wiper option is selected, does that override/disable the intermittent interval sensitivity option? In other words, adjusting the intermittent interval sensitivity setting has no effect if RSW is selected, or does it impact the sensitivity of the rain sensor?

Once you set your wiper to rain-sensing, the adjustment becomes the sensitivity of rain droplets which changes the wipe interval. But CX-5's rain-sensing wiper seems to have its own mind and the sensitivity adjustment is almost useless.

Once you set your wiper to rain-sensing, the adjustment becomes the sensitivity of rain droplets which changes the wipe interval. But CX-5's rain-sensing wiper seems to have its own mind and the sensitivity adjustment is almost useless.

Thanks. It works well, but that has been my experience too.

If the rain sensing wiper option is selected, does that override/disable the intermittent interval sensitivity option? In other words, adjusting the intermittent interval sensitivity setting has no effect if RSW is selected, or does it impact the sensitivity of the rain sensor?

Here's the info from the manual:

image.png

Basically adjusting the sensitivity is changing the response time

I disabled it in the end. I find that the old way of having manual control of the intermittent wipers works better than the rain sensor.

Owned 2 Mazda vehicles including current model CX5 and I've had no issues with mine.

I found that wherever I set the sensitivity, it would wipe too frequently with little rain, and not frequently enough with heavier rain. I'm happy doing it the old fashioned way (2thumbs)

Question related to this. I know the auto headlights are supposed to come on with the auto wipers if it thinks they*re needed, but I like to go by *wipers on headlights on* and they rarely ever come on by that so I just manually do it. But gf*s 2014 Altima has them automatically come on whenever the wipers come on, not just when it thinks they*re needed. Anyone else have issues with this and/or a solution other than manual on?

Not that its a huge inconvenience but Id like it to work like its supposed to. And I usually have the auto high beams on so whenever I manually turn on the headlights I end up temporarily blinding people...

Wipers won't come on when lights are on. They only come on when the sensors detect rain/showers etc aka water

Not all the time. The light sensor has primary control.

I agree.

In Florida it rains often with the sun out and the light will not come on. A good way to test it is to start the car outside (in the day light) and toss water on the windshield.

Here in NJ the law is if wipers are on, the headlights need to be on too. It would be nice if the auto wipers turned on the headlights when it started raining, but I do not think they do.

But, it seems the DRL are the the headlights on low beam? So lights are always on anyway?

Here's the info from the manual:

image.png

Basically adjusting the sensitivity is changing the response time

I think the manual and the control is counter-intuitive as it could be read that the larger the black block the longer the interval would be with the longest at the bottom and the shortest as the black blocks taper towards the top?

I think the manual and the control is counter-intuitive as it could be read that the larger the black block the longer the interval would be with the longest at the bottom and the shortest as the black blocks taper towards the top?
This confuses me too. Especially there*s not much changes on wipe interval when I adjust the sensibility to either direction.

My 2001.5 VW Passat has similar issue on rain-sensing wipers, but the rain-sending wipers on my 2000 BMW 528i are as precise as they can be with sensibility adjustment.

Not all the time. The light sensor has primary control.

In the rainy part of the world I live in the unwritten rule is headlights on when its raining. Usually I go to manual in these cases because I also want the led fog lights on to increase my visibility to others and you cannot turn them on in auto mode.

Id like to see Mazda Change this.

Possibly but after a while you get used to it.

In the rainy part of the world I live in the unwritten rule is headlights on when it*s raining. Usually I go to manual in these cases because I also want the led fog lights on to increase my visibility to others and you cannot turn them on in auto mode.

I*d like to see Mazda Change this.

It's the same here when there is inclement weather. Fog lights are also allowed to be turned on.

Back