variable intermittent wipers

f16joe

:
Model CX-5 Touring
There does not seem to be a great deal of sensitivity adjustment with the rain sensing intermittent wipers. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity? It seems that even at is lowest setting, any amount of moisture on the windshield activates the wipers. thank you

My 2014 CX-5 is the same, as is my OH's 2015 Mazda 3, and a formerly owned 2015 Mazda 6.
I've switched mine off and use the standard variable intermittent settings now.

Yep, it's the way they are. They err on the side of caution (sometimes over-sensitive).

As mentioned you can switch the system over to typical intermittent type if you would like.

I leave wipers off. Use manual / on-time wipe as required when the moisture is really light. When it starts raining enough I turn them on in auto mode and leave sensitivity at the lowest setting. I also treat my windshield with Aquapel.

Please read the sticky before posting in the how-to section

I'm finding the opposite with my '17. Rain accumulates on the windshield and the wipers don't come on. I have them on Auto, but I actually turned off the rain-sensitive wipers to go manual intermittent. Maybe Mazda went the opposite direction with the new model?

There does not seem to be a great deal of sensitivity adjustment with the rain sensing intermittent wipers. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity? It seems that even at is lowest setting, any amount of moisture on the windshield activates the wipers. thank you

You know how to adjust the sensitivity, but then ask how to adjust it?

(uhm)

Yeah, the sensor is cheap ass s***. Sometimes over sensitive, other times asleep at the wheel. Useless in snow.

I turned it off and use the regular intermittent controls.

Yeah, the sensor is cheap ass s***. Sometimes over sensitive, other times asleep at the wheel.

FYI, the CX-5's sensor works better than my Audi's did. If the sensor watched the entire 3-5 square foot area in front of the driver, it might work better. I bet it would cost thousands more to do that...

I'm finding the opposite with my '17. Rain accumulates on the windshield and the wipers don't come on. I have them on Auto, but I actually turned off the rain-sensitive wipers to go manual intermittent. Maybe Mazda went the opposite direction with the new model?

I had a Gen 2 Mazda 3 and there is definitely a broader range of sensitivity adjustment than previous generation Mazda models (assuming rain sensors are similar across the range).

In my Gen 2 Mazda 3 it was like they went full tilt if I sneezed at the car in the wrong direction.

FYI, the CX-5's sensor works better than my Audi's did. If the sensor watched the entire 3-5 square foot area in front of the driver, it might work better. I bet it would cost thousands more to do that...

Mine sux ass. Totally dangerous. I'd often drive off without any vision waiting for the windshield to clear. GF would get pissed and force me to clear the windshield.

Other times a light mist would send them into hyper wiper mode.

Others on this forum will concur it sux.

Last edited:
It's a Mazda thing.

On occasion early in the morning when humidity is high, condensation will cause the auto wipers to come on my Mazda6 no matter how less sensitive I put the switch on.

Seems the sensors behind the rear view mirror attached to the windscreen is the issue.

Was hoping the Mazda system was better than expressed here.
My VW is also inconsistent. Sometimes all it needs is to be shut off and reset to slow and turned back on... but not always.
Also, when it's working well, I'll park in garage and turn off engine after the wipers are settled to "no swipe". Next rainy day, the wipers engage nicely, but not always.

My VW is also inconsistent. Sometimes all it needs is to be shut off and reset to slow and turned back on... but not always.
Also, when it's working well, I'll park in garage and turn off engine after the wipers are settled to "no swipe". Next rainy day, the wipers engage nicely, but not always.
It's generally fine

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

These systems are built by third party suppliers. It's entirely possible to have the exact same tech across manufacturers. Would not surprise me if VW and Mazda use the same thing.

These systems are built by third party suppliers. It's entirely possible to have the exact same tech across manufacturers. Would not surprise me if VW and Mazda use the same thing.

If all else fails, just put the stalk into low and high speeds (wink)

Yeah not much you can do on this for our CX-5. The supposed sensitivity adjustment seems useless and most of time it's too sensitive. My old 2001.5 VW Passat is similar, but my 2000 BMW 528i has way better rain-sensing wiper system and the sensitivity adjustment is as precise as it can be! Apparently the more expensive components and better design do make difference.

Yeah not much you can do on this for our CX-5. The supposed sensitivity adjustment seems useless and most of time it's too sensitive. My old 2001.5 VW Passat is similar, but my 2000 BMW 528i has way better rain-sensing wiper system and the sensitivity adjustment is as precise as it can be! Apparently the more expensive components and better design do make difference.

All has to do with the sensors/camera just behind the windscreen and the control units interpretation

All has to do with the sensors/camera just behind the windscreen and the control units interpretation
The rain sensor on the top-center windshield for auto-wiper system also works as light sensor for auto headlights on CX-5. Rain sensor for auto-wipers usually is an infrared sensor not a camera. Strangely CX-5's rain-sensing wipers only work in the rain, not for snow on the windshield like other rain-sensing wiper systems I've experienced. (uhm)

The rain sensor on the top-center windshield for auto-wiper system also works as light sensor for auto headlights on CX-5. Rain sensor for auto-wipers usually is an infrared sensor not a camera.

Thought it was one of them (sensor instead of camera). Thanks for clarifying

Strangely CX-5's rain-sensing wipers only work in the rain, not for snow on the windshield like other rain-sensing wiper systems I've experienced. (uhm)

Maybe Mazda wanted it to just work as per it's name - rain-sensing wipers (scratch)

The rain sensor on the top-center windshield for auto-wiper system also works as light sensor for auto headlights on CX-5. Rain sensor for auto-wipers usually is an infrared sensor not a camera. Strangely CX-5's rain-sensing wipers only work in the rain, not for snow on the windshield like other rain-sensing wiper systems I've experienced. (uhm)

Most rain sensors thrown off by snow. Here's a thread complaining about this in an Acura forum: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/2-general-discussions/9612-rain-sensing-wipers-not-very-good-snow.html

It's because the sensor needs liquid water on the windshield. Now, the snow may (or may not) melt somewhat... but in really cold conditions I could see it not functioning well. Of course that's why its called the rain sensor and doesn't say snow anywhere :)

A camera w/ processing could fix this.

Back