Radio stays on after key turned off and removed?

MD5

:
06 Carbon Gray Touring 5
It's happened a couple of times this week on me. I'll turn off the ignition, remove the key, and the radio keeps playing. I have to actually turn it off.

Nothing else is staying on, just the radio.

Anyone else have this happen?

Matt

Does it turn off when you open your door. Alot of cars radios stay on after the key is removed from the ignition until you actually open the door. May possibly be this, but Im not familiar with the 5. Good Luck.

Sound and windows would remain operative on o4 Mazda6 for a specific time period. Would deactivate when door was opened. Didn't work for sunroof, though.

I put about 8k miles on it and never did the radio stay on after the key was turned off and removed until this week. It has only done it twice, but it was spooky. Like the radio had a mind of its own.

Matt

MD5 said:
I put about 8k miles on it and never did the radio stay on after the key was turned off and removed until this week. It has only done it twice, but it was spooky. Like the radio had a mind of its own.

Matt

Probably a software glitch. Newer cars run on a lot of software, so they can have glitches/crashes like your computer.

Are you able to open and/or close the windows after removing the key, but before opening the door? If so, then it was probably supposed to work on the radio anyway.

^^^ yeah I was gonna say the same thing... FWIU, the problem is that the key will remove after shutting off the car, but in fact, the key was not turned the entire way to the off position. Therefore it creates the situation where the key will unlock and be removable, but the car's computer still thinks that it's turned onto Accessory.

If it happens again, reinsert the key and make certain it's turned the entire way to 'OFF' and see if that fixes the problem. If you find this to be an issue, print out that TSB that Mazdadude linked to, and take your car into a dealership at your convenience (it's not a critical problem). Explain your problem and have the TSB handy if they have no clue what you're talking about.

Does anyone know if this is a feature that can be controlled (on-off) with the dealer's programming tool? My POS Chevy Astro work van does this, and it's a nice feature.

I know this is an old ass thread, but I just picked up a used 06 5 sport and noticed this problem intermittently. Just found out it's most likely because I have a power inverter plugged into the 12v outlet. Just in case anyone else has this problem...

Funny that this got bumped up recently. This has just started happening in my 2006. Unfortunately it isn't intermittent - it's every time I turn off the car. I do not have anything plugged into my accessory port right now, so that's not the issue. Looks like I'll have to visit the dealer with that TSB...

I've noticed this happen on mine and it does it when certain items are plugged into the rear 12vdc outlet. Specifically when I plug in my rechargable flashlight in the rear outlet. I guess it backfeeds into the circuit keeping it activated when the ignition is off. I can go back and unplug it and everything turns off again.

Thanks for the link!

Husband says it started when he unplugged the portable xm radio that had been plugged in forever, hmmmm. It does do the chime thing periodically too.

ok now this thread is super old

Im having the same issues i believe and im hoping over the past 5 years you have solved the problem. my radio stays on after i turn the car off and never shuts off until i disconnect the battery, but when i reconnect the battery the radio just turns back on. what did you end up doing?

It's happened a couple of times this week on me. I'll turn off the ignition, remove the key, and the radio keeps playing. I have to actually turn it off.

Nothing else is staying on, just the radio.

Anyone else have this happen?

Matt

figured it out

I had a sub installed a while back and recently took it out but left the wires still hooked up. the power wire was touching the radio wire and feeding power back to the radio. issue solved!

Im having the same issues i believe and im hoping over the past 5 years you have solved the problem. my radio stays on after i turn the car off and never shuts off until i disconnect the battery, but when i reconnect the battery the radio just turns back on. what did you end up doing?

Back