Ractive Header Thoughts After Install (Pics)

i just won a forza header off ebay. its basically the same as a obx. hopefully should be here next week. :) yay.

batmang said:
i just won a forza header off ebay. its basically the same as a obx. hopefully should be here next week. :) yay.
Dido. Mine will be here and installed on Wednesday. I'll post pics and thoughts.

flat_black said:
Brian, chances are the reason you aren't getting a CEL is the turbo; You're probably both running leaner as well as the fact that the turbo probably burns off some of the fuel as it passes through the exhaust turbine, due to the temperature; If your first O2 sensor is before the turbo, and the second is after, that is. But that's just my guess. =)
My A/F ratio is maintained by an Extra Injector Controller and I'm not interested in getting into an internet battle over this entire CEL/No CEL thing or the reasons for it. Suffice to say, I have designed and built a turbo kit from scratch and have more than likely spent more time under my hood and in tech manuals than I should have invested. But Blowing up my car was never the reason for starting my project.

Given a choice of getting a hole made for the second O2 sensor and placing it in the exaust flow path or fooling the computer into thinking everything is Hunkey Dorey.... Ummm a no brainer man. Get the bung and slap that O2 into it. My opinion.

Yipe, I wasn't trying to offend or anything at all. =) I like your turbo setup quite a bit, but was not trying to start a fight about CEL's for sure; As long as you're happy! I was just offering up a possible reason for your lack of a CEL... Who knows, it could be because the car is just running perfectly fine, even catalizing the fuel some other way, other than the primary cat, but I think the reason I gave was a viable option, for sure. But then again, if I don't know for certain; My car has no turbo, and I've never played with your car, so I digress; I'm glad you've made the decision to keep both sensors, as that surely keeps the car running properly.

Brian MP5T said:
My A/F ratio is maintained by an Extra Injector Controller and I'm not interested in getting into an internet battle over this entire CEL/No CEL thing or the reasons for it. Suffice to say, I have designed and built a turbo kit from scratch and have more than likely spent more time under my hood and in tech manuals than I should have invested. But Blowing up my car was never the reason for starting my project.

Given a choice of getting a hole made for the second O2 sensor and placing it in the exaust flow path or fooling the computer into thinking everything is Hunkey Dorey.... Ummm a no brainer man. Get the bung and slap that O2 into it. My opinion.

Cool Man,

I just have this problem with cars and shortcuts. My fiance calls my car "The Mistress"

The O2 Eliminator IMO is a shortcut. Mazda has two O2 sensors for a reason, that reason is stated higer in the thread. If the first one fails it will start sending false data. The second sensor would show up diferent and the ECU would trigger a CEL. My only concern was for this rare peoblem occuring to anyone that is running this "eliminator" or running with only one O2 sensor. You are taking a risk that IMO could end up with you putting $3000.00 on the table for a new engine. Turbo or Not, running lean is a problem that depending on how lean, can kill a piston in 60 Miles of normal driving. No Worries man, I just get a little heated when it comes to taking the easy way versus the proper way.

Later...Brian

(spin)​

flat_black said:
Yipe, I wasn't trying to offend or anything at all. =) I like your turbo setup quite a bit, but was not trying to start a fight about CEL's for sure; As long as you're happy! I was just offering up a possible reason for your lack of a CEL... Who knows, it could be because the car is just running perfectly fine, even catalizing the fuel some other way, other than the primary cat, but I think the reason I gave was a viable option, for sure. But then again, if I don't know for certain; My car has no turbo, and I've never played with your car, so I digress; I'm glad you've made the decision to keep both sensors, as that surely keeps the car running properly.

Brian MP5T said:
I just have this problem with cars and shortcuts. My fiance calls my car "The Mistress"

The O2 Eliminator IMO is a shortcut. Mazda has two O2 sensors for a reason, that reason is stated higer in the thread. If the first one fails it will start sending false data. The second sensor would show up diferent and the ECU would trigger a CEL. My only concern was for this rare peoblem occuring to anyone that is running this "eliminator" or running with only one O2 sensor. You are taking a risk that IMO could end up with you putting $3000.00 on the table for a new engine. Turbo or Not, running lean is a problem that depending on how lean, can kill a piston in 60 Miles of normal driving. No Worries man, I just get a little heated when it comes to taking the easy way versus the proper way.

Later...Brian.
I agree with your suggestion of putting a second bung in and extending the 2nd O2 sensor to behind the second cat.

But what i'd like your opinion on, what about someone with an exhaust with no cats? Running that eliminator would fix the CEL still, but i'm a little worried now about that problem you stated above, all because of installing a new header.

never had a problem i ran like that for thousands of miles...but i had no cats, but i did have a bung..letting your o2 sensor hang around like youre trying to air out its balls is a great way to ruin an expensive part should you ever go back to stock. the bung is worth it simply to know that its secured and safe.

Where did you get the bung, i've never looked at it up close to see if its just something standard at a hardware or automotive store.

my header came with it already welded in..not to flame, but thats why the "generic" headers for our cars can be a b****...

Matthew, so you ran no cats but both o2 sensors hooked up with no CEL elim and didn't get a cel? Maybe i missed something.

The Forza header i have coming has the o2 sensor bung along with the EGR, but it only removes the first cat, so both o2 sensors should read the same, and throw a CEL.

Although removing all cats makes logical sense to allow more air to pass through the engine and make more power...modern engines require backpressure to help the valves seat properly. I would recomend then that if you are after more performance with a N/A car, a high flow cat is your answer. If you were turbocharged the backpressure is more than kept by the exaust turbine itself and any restricter past the Downpipe, would add to a lag time. The Bung was made by the same man who made me my header. The O2 sensor has the same thread as a spark plug. He charged me $15.00 for two, all he did was make one larger threaded metal tube, cut it in half and we drilled the hole (Manifold and DP), welded this to it and the O2 sensor threaded in like it was made to go there.

Later...Brian

SilentSno said:
I agree with your suggestion of putting a second bung in and extending the 2nd O2 sensor to behind the second cat.

But what i'd like your opinion on, what about someone with an exhaust with no cats? Running that eliminator would fix the CEL still, but i'm a little worried now about that problem you stated above, all because of installing a new header.

Brian MP5T said:
Although removing all cats makes logical sense to allow more air to pass through the engine and make more power...modern engines require backpressure to help the valves seat properly. I would recomend then that if you are after more performance with a N/A car, a high flow cat is your answer. If you were turbocharged the backpressure is more than kept by the exaust turbine itself and any restricter past the Downpipe, would add to a lag time. The Bung was made by the same man who made me my header. The O2 sensor has the same thread as a spark plug. He charged me $15.00 for two, all he did was make one larger threaded metal tube, cut it in half and we drilled the hole (Manifold and DP), welded this to it and the O2 sensor threaded in like it was made to go there.
Later...Brian
Brian, thanks! I think once i get set to remove the second cat with a mid pipe I'll get a High flow cat.

umm.. about the valves resealing.. the valves are pulled up and sealed with the valve spring, if there was backpressure wouldn't it try and push the valves down/open? a vaccume in your exhaust manifold will force the valves shut? i thought the only reason to have back pressure was for velocity of exhaust,

theoretically you want super velocity going out and zero back pressure

Attachments

• Valves.jpg
    Valves.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 113
pr5owner said:
umm.. about the valves resealing.. the valves are pulled up and sealed with the valve spring, if there was backpressure wouldn't it try and push the valves down/open? a vaccume in your exhaust manifold will force the valves shut? i thought the only reason to have back pressure was for velocity of exhaust,

theoretically you want super velocity going out and zero back pressure
I could be wrong on my reason.(mswerd)

There was a negative to no backpressure. I'll admit that my theory is shot out the window...Ummm. I'll read up and get back with a better solution.
(flame2)​

Back