Racing Beat exhaust...

Treystoys

He guys and gals...first post here...nice site by the way!

Just wondering if any of you have the RB cat back, or have seen or heard it. I'm looking for a pretty low key set up, I got rid of my money pit Tacoma to buy this for future family chores and such ;o) Anyhow, I miss the exhaust note, but don't want anything too loud or Honda sounding. The RB looks like a good choice. Any input on this, or other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Prices paid for your exhausts would be cool too.

Later

I see you're looking for a cat-back system but here's somethin neat I found out about exhaust. If it's just that racing rumble sound you're after, a rear section exhaust kit (aka axle-back) is a much less expensive alternative to the pricey cat-backs.

When I went searching for an exhaust setup, I tried the usual suspects - Bassani, Flowmaster, Team Moon, etc. In addition to finding out most of the big names don't make exhaust for imports (except Team Moon, from those few I named) I discovered that cat back systems in general are crazy expensive - sometimes $1000 or more!

I finally settled on a rear section made by PRO1. It's nothing more than a performance version of the stock rear section. Same shape, but a slightly larger pipe and a smaller, yet tuned, resonator. Facing outwards is a 4" wide outlet. The whole structure is made from stainless steel, and the resonator is polished to perfection. As for sound, let's just say that I've impressed a lot of people who are very knowledgeable of these things. I would say it's the best sound I've ever heard from a 2.0L engine. I paid $300 for the rear section... it would have cost me another $500 for the entire cat-back system.

Last edited:
Interesting, I just learned something new! Curious what sort of performance advantages/gains are you looking at with a cat-back versus the axle-back versus the stock?

I'd much rather save $500 but not if the $500 is actually 'worthy.'

Welcome to the forum I have posted on the forum alot about the Racing Beat so the Search button is a good option. Just to let you know though you can find a good price on a cat back through protege5online.com. I just looked and it was $439. I have heard great things about the JIC SUS Titanium exhaust you can obtain a price on this through ARD MP5, just shoot him a PM through your USER CP at the top of the page. Auto RND is his company and they are a good source for all that is protege also.

Regarding performance, the best way to think of any car is this - it's one gigantic vaccuum tube, open at the front end AND at the rear end. As you can imagine, the bigger the tube is the more air you can move in a given amount of time. That's what a complete exhaust overhaul gives you... a bigger front end (intake), a bigger mid section (cat-back), and a bigger rear end (rear-section, or axle-back).

Now here's where the arguments begin. Some would say that in order to gain performance, you need to expand everything.. as in all three of the above-mentioned parts. Others (like myself) feel that any upgrade is a step in the right direction, if done in the proper sequence. For example, when tackling my exhaust upgrades, I started at the rear. Why? Because if I started at the front, with an air intake upgrade, driving would've been similar to stuffing a watermelon through a hole the size of a lemon. Rather, I found it much more sensible to make the watermelon sized hole first, and ease lemons through that until I could afford the intake upgrade.

Make sense? :D

makes perfect sense. However, seeing you've decided to go with the axle-back first... have you priced out the full thing to be less using the piece-and-go system?

While I'm in no position to buy any sort of aftermarket accessories for a one-week old protege5, this added information will certainly encourage to make the right decision when it comes.

Thanks!

Bosal makes an awesome cat back system for the P5s that Im currently selling for 380.00 shipped in the states. The Bosal system is a full cat back with a slightly larger dimater pipe than stock. This will give you a little power increase (Ive seen some numbers say 6 or 7HP gains). The Bosal is probably the loudest on the market but its still not as loud as most hondas. Or at least it isnt as high pitched as most hondas. And if you dont like the loudness, they have silencers available to add to your muffler for about 40.00. RB is a great system that is a little less loud & a little more expensive (usually about 480.00 or so shipped give or take) The JIC is an awesome system but it runs in the 700.00 range (but its about half the weight of the Bosal & RB systems) So, for the money/power gain you are best off going with a full cat back Bosal for 380.00 than some axle back for 300.00 (and if you want just an axle back, stick with the Mazdaspeed you get from your dealer or the HKS). But I think you would be best off with the Bosal cat back if you want to keep it cheaper. Ive got one on my P5 & like it. And its not as loud as my Toyo T100 with a Borla exhaust (so that may give you a little comparison with your Taco)

Does Pro1 have a website or something to have a look at that exhaust?

Thanks for the input guys...the Bosal looks like a nice deal, but the set up wouldn't work with the reciever hitch on the car. I'm gonna need a more conventional design muffler. The pics are very helpful, if I'd have never seen the underside picture I'd have never known. The exhaust is going to be a wedding gift from my fiance, so the $400-500 price range is what I'm looking at.

Treystoys said:
Thanks for the input guys...the Bosal looks like a nice deal, but the set up wouldn't work with the reciever hitch on the car. I'm gonna need a more conventional design muffler. The pics are very helpful, if I'd have never seen the underside picture I'd have never known. The exhaust is going to be a wedding gift from my fiance, so the $400-500 price range is what I'm looking at.

hello Trey and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to our Club. There are TWO BIG fridge'S in the corner with anything you can think of in them...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. (stash)

make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!! (stash)

do you have a reciever hitch on the car now? if it works with the STOCK exhaust...it will work with the bosal...and the bosal muffler is actually a bit smaller than the stock muffler...and it uses the same attachment points and hangers as the stock exhaust.....

I also have the bosal on my car and love it. Its has a nice low growel to it....the only comparison I can make it its sound is an old british sports car....SO, I bet the bosal WILL work for you....

ahhhh....I hope you are only planning on using that reciever hitch for a bike rack or a motorcycle type/size trailer...certainly you aren't planning on pulling anything of size with your car......

Thanks for the welcome there Mr Nuke...fortunately, I should be ok with the harder stuff in the fridge ;o)...I only look and act like I'm 18, reality has added another 10 well, almost 11 years on to me, so 28 knocking on 29! Oh well...yes, the reciever is on there now(nightmare install by the way ;o), I just looked again at the Pr5online site, and then at my car, and although the Bosal may fit, I'd put money on it that the muffler body will be resting on the underside of the hitch. Thats why I was saying that a more conventional set up is what I'm gonna need. The muffler itself needs to be where the stocker is, or close, and just have a tail pipe with a tip sticking out.

As far as towing duties, your right, its a limited one, but after I got rid of my truck, I had to go this route. I have a 4x8 utility trailer, it weighs about 380lbs, and its duties are weekly trips through the neighborhood to mom and dads house and to little brothers house for grass cutting duties, and the real reason I did it was for my other hobby, my highly modded out Z400 4 wheeler. The hole rig looks pretty awesome in tow with the bright blue P5 pulling the bright yellow bike. The car does a very good job of towing, I was quite surprised actually.

Well, thanks again guys this is a great site, nice to have it in the favorites. Its actually the same set up as the z400central.com site I belong to for the bike.

Later

Welcome The Racing Beat is very Quiet , the tone is low and there is a small WHP gain maybe 4WHP , I can tell the diff . It is heavy . Total gain with CAI and exhaust was 8.5 WHP. :D

You're right, the Bosal does sit back a little further (and closer) than the stock. Its almost at the rear bumper. So you may have some problems. Dont know that Ive ever sold a Bosal cat back to anyone with a hitch (but Ive sold more Bosals than any exhaust...so you would think I have..just its never been brought up). If I remember correctly, the Thermal muffler has a pretty long tail pipe exit so the muffler sits forward a bit more. I think the RB sits pretty far back to so you may have some issues there. I'll try to check into it.

I love my Team Moon Exhaust, and I only paid 339.95 dollars for it--that's including shipping. Charlie can also make the whole ehxaust in stainless steel for 575 which ain't a bad deal too. The tone is nice and low and round...beautiful!

Karl

Back