Race Gas??

fgafd2007

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3 Black Injen CAI,Turbo Xs turbo back, Forge BP
So this might be a stupid question...... Has anyone tried using any fuel higher then 93. I have been told that you cannot run race gas (c16) in these cars. I have a TBE w/o cats so I should be fine there. I just didn't know about the ecu, motor etc. I ran C16 and meth in my Evo with a ecu flash and staight exhaust, different cars but had to ask.

Thanks for any help!!

I have run 110 unleaded from the track before. It works fine. You really dont get anything from it though. The car doesnt get any faster. What it will do is help reduce your knock and allow you to run more boost safely.

Cool.. Was that Sunoco? How about leaded race fuel?

large amounts of leaded fuel trash cats and 02 sensors and increases emissions

other than that it doesnt do much harm or otherwise help beyond a certain point for a street application

I believe route 66 raceway uses torco fuel. I dont see a need for leaded fuel. It aint the 70's anymore.

lead was a cheap additive in gasoline that boosted its octane
unfortunatly lead is also harmful

I thought lead was added to protect the non-hardened valve seats in old cars, not as an octane booster. Whatever the reason, these days it's lead substitute and it does not belong in your MS3 or just about any car less than 30 years old. I agree with everything true-boost said. It won't add power, but rather allow you to run more timing or boost before detonating. I can't imagine any reason a stock MS3 would need it though.

i mix about 4 gallons of 100 octane in with each tank of 91 octane (we dont have 93 here) to reduce the knock. it doesn't make the car any faster, i dont think. but it certainly runs 100x better.

Leaded race gas is excellent stuff and not a 30 yr old left over.....try finding unleaded with an octane rating over 100. It's a tough find. Leaded, on the other hand, commonly available in 110, 116.....and I've run ALOT of unleaded race gas through a forced 4 banger at the track compared to leaded race gas, with it's greater octane-leaded just works better. Much more knock resistant, much more consistant performance, you can really bring in the advance and get some excellent dyno/timeslips. And regardless of performance, leaded race gas fumes coming out of your exhaust is one of the finest scents known to man(headbang). It is bad for cats and O2 sensors but since half the forums are running catless dp and it's not instant death to O2 sensors. It takes a while to coat them and reduce their accuracy.

I agree with everything true-boost said. It won't add power, but rather allow you to run more timing or boost before detonating. I can't imagine any reason a stock MS3 would need it though.

More timing and or boost would raise power. The way this car likes to detonate, I'd think the factory ecu would LOVE race gas so it can really take advantage of those detonation threshholds that makes it jump maps. The ECU could really bring that timing that always triggers the knock sensor and induces retard. I think that would be worth some hp/tq. Granted, I haven't tried it so it's all speculation on my end.

And regardless of performance, leaded race gas fumes coming out of your exhaust is one of the finest scents known to man(headbang). It is bad for cats and O2 sensors but since half the forums are running catless dp and it's not instant death to O2 sensors. It takes a while to coat them and reduce their accuracy.

To each his own.
I guess I you could say I'm over that race gas smell, and then some. Been there, smelt that.

Back