Quick Question regarding Ignition Coil!

warrior86

Hopefully this isnt too confusing and sorry if my wording is off, but trying to explain it the best I could.
I added pictures to make things a bit more clear.

Car: 2003 Mazda Protege5; 2.0 Liter 4 Cylinder

This is my mom's car and she got a code that references a few different items, once of which was the ignition coils. I did some research and some people say it is common on these cars that they go bad and need changing. Luckily it is around the tune up time for my moms car so I will be doing spark plugs, ignition coil, pcv valve, wiper blades, stuff like that. But regarding the ignition coils. I was planning on buying the full coil (need two of them for this car) See the part I am talking about in the picture attached that is labeled (Picture 1).

However, I bought a package since I needed the other 2 coil boots ( I believe they are called) that have wires coming off them (See Picture 2) that connect to the main ignition coil piece (Again, Picture 1), but they came with 2 extra pieces which is what makes up the lower half of the main ignition coil.

I was just wondering if in the scheme of things when it comes to ignition coil giving problems, does the upper half of them where the wire harnesses are located go bad, or the 2 extra pieces they included in the package I got which just need to be swapped out go bad more? This way it will save me like $60 from having to buy the entire thing, instead of me just replacing the bottom portion.

In Picture 3, it shows in the red circle how it connects the top and bottom part, with the spring in the middle, so it doesnt look like a big deal at all.

Would be awesome to have any feedback. Thanks a bunch.

Picture1
Picture1.jpg

Picture2
Picture2.jpg

Picture3
Picture3.jpg

no one knows? I'm changing this out in like 2 hours. If anyone has any input, please let me know!

Appreciate any help.

The coil pack is what goes bad. The part the wires plug into. Basically because this is a tip mounted coil, one of the wires for each coil pack is just made up of the rubber plug boot and the spring. Replace the coil pack and the boot/spring assembly. Looks like you will have an extra boot and spring for each of the coil packs you bought.

Back