Quick pic/review of my Sky Blue CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech package

Few (other) things about "CR-V vs CX-5" (i dont own any but have tested both recently)

- CR-V lcd screen (used by camera and stuff) is small and far into the dashboard, uncomfortably so for me. Mazda's is MUCH better.

- CR-V folding seats, one thing they always want to showcase is not without faults: they got stuck when salesperson tried to fold them (extended headrests i guess). When folded, i expected the seats to fold really flat, alas, they're just like any other, lay at an angle.

- CR-V armrest/center console .... this is more of a curiosity rather than a pro/con. They went for "van-like" solution - a small folding armrest attached to the chair (hehe, try to spot it on the official photos, sure they are not proud of that solution) , independent of center console.

- base CR-V comes with 16in steel wheels.... i'm not sure if there's any other crossover still offering steels...

I was able to get 32 mpg on my test loop (25 miles of moderately hilly highway, driving 65mph on cruise control with ECON on)

CR-V is a worthy contender...i'm leaning towards CX-5 at the moment. (comaring CR-V LX to Touring CX-5 --> base honda is missing stuff i want: BT and camera)

Kvetcha, thanks for the picture. Hope you have time for more. It shows what (I'm assuming is) a quality camera can do.

Kvetcha, thanks for the picture. Hope you have time for more. It shows what (I'm assuming is) a quality camera can do.

It was my iPhone 4, actually. :)

I have a DSLR I'll try and get some shots with after we wash the poor thing down. It's living outdoors under the tree line right now, so there's pollen and debris galore.

Some of the dealers out there should get some iPhones. It would greatly improve their on-line pictures. The blue really pops in your picture.

correct
not sure about Australian specs, but EU specs have a knob next to the handbrake to control the nav, phone etc... for Canada and US, we do not have that knob but instead two larger cupholders
all we get is a touch screen to control most of the functions

correct
not sure about Australian specs, but EU specs have a knob next to the handbrake to control the nav, phone etc... for Canada and US, we do not have that knob but instead two larger cupholders
all we get is a touch screen to control most of the functions

It's strictly a European spec item. It is missing from all Asian, Australian and North American vehicles.

I too was torn between the CRV and the CX 5. I read reviews from Car & Driver and Edmund's, till my eyes dried up. The next day I went to test drive the two vehicles armed with the previous days homework and an open mind. The reviews I read really favored the CX5 and I took my time in comparing what I was seeing in person to that which I had read and found in almost all cases that the reviews remained true to their claims. I drove ( and purchased ) the 2014 CX5 with the 2.5 and if there was an issue with power before I feel certain that it has been remedied. All and all the CX5 won me over in just about every category but I must say that the CRV is more than a worthy opponent. The fact is that I believe you could not make a bad choice between the two. I feel that for many, the purchase decision could boil down to which vehicle wins the eye candy test.

Back