Questions from the st00p!d n00b

st00p!d_n00b

:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
I am pretty sure that this forum is like all others and that you guys are pretty harsh on noobies. So I ask this question in hopes that inbetween the bashings I will receive an answer.

I have a 2003 MSP. and It's 100% bone stock, I have done little research on my car mostly because I don't trust alot of people out there to give me straight answers. I want to know what is the best way to improve HP with the small amount of cash I will have to put into the engine.

If anyone is or wsa in the same boat I am in and has some answers I would love to hear them...

Thanks

best bang for your buck would be apexr1's 2.5" catless downpipe. otherwise an intake will be a good second choice

i say, intake/mbc would do nicely, just keep boost levels at 9-10, and uhh... you could also buy a n1 muffler and go to a custom shop to have them make you a s-back exaust, if you are lucky they could do a whole turbo back...

bah, i spit on MBC intake combo. That's what I have on my car, and boosting 8-9 psi has done s***. Exhaust is the real chokepoint on the car. Get a bigger downpipe first, then get a BC and intake. You will feel a MUCH bigger difference that way.

damnit guess i can finally use this. should say mod but eh..
(admin)

t3ase said:
If anyone starts bashing, they will be dealt with immediately. Subscribing to watch.

I say get a manual boost controller and a boost gauge to go with. Raise it to about 9 psi (safe) and you should feel a nice change :) I don't care what anybody says, i saw i difference. It's the best thing you can do if you don't have too much cash available. Maybe a mechanical mbc cause it's cheaper and it does the same exact thing as an electronic boost controller. Look into Joe P's MBC's they're pretty inexpensive.

Last edited:
id say exhaust, boost guage, mbc, and colder plugs first. At least get rid of the cats or go with a higher flowing one. Should be able to do all that for under 500$

**** an intake on this car, its one of the last things id do. Or if you want, do like I did and saw off the lower half of the box and throw in a K&N filter. Works fine and I probably hit fuel cut less than someone with a CAI.

btw, your city has a badass skatepark

mspeed101 said:
I would like to know this as well. I am thinking about purchasing this for my msp since it says it is compatible but is it?
Aside from the point that is specifically says it will fit the MSP, the intake manifold is not any different, the throttle body is not any different than any other 2.0 FS-DE out there...it will fit.

id say wait till turfburn makes his spacers. He was going to address a couple fitment issues from the outlaw engineering ones, and youd also be supporting a forum member.

Emode said:
id say wait till turfburn makes his spacers. He was going to address a couple fitment issues from the outlaw engineering ones, and youd also be supporting a forum member.
What material is he planning on using?
Will it slow heat transfer? (shrug)

.. Intake, free up the exhaust, front-mount intercooler, hard pipes, boost gauge, boost controller.

Too bad I don't even have all that, though, ha. (rofl)

The cheapest mod is FREE! Just remove everything in your interior except for your front seat, then remove the power steering hardware and the A/C hardware, and your set.

But, you probably don't want to go this route correct? Then the best mod, not necessarily the cheapest, is free up the exhaust, then the boost controller.

Back