Question about wheels.

DeXX

There's a few things I wanted to know.

Will any 5-lug patterned wheel (or most) fit the P5?

What do you think are the MAX dimensions that would fit on a lowered car without rubbing? (Body modifications r ok :))

I am trying to look at the dimensions and I really want to try and mold the fenders a bit to fit 19's with a very thin tire, but I'm not sure if it's even possible. Please give me your feedback.

bolt pattern: 5 x 114.3
offset: stock is +50

if you're getting 17's with 205/40/17 rubber at +40 offset, then it shouldn't rub if you didn't lower you car.

if you're getting 17's with 205/40/17 rubber AND you lowered your car, get an offset of at least +45 or greater.

if you're getting 18's with 215/30/18 rubber, get at least +42 offset if you didn't lower you car.

if you're getting 18's with 215/30/18 rubber AND lowered you car, get at least +45 offset or greater.

dunno about 19's though... i'd imagine that they would need the largest offset without rubber the fender and the inner fender wall. would probably need to roll the fenders in the rear too.

the smartest thing would be to test your set if you can.

Last edited:
ChopstickHero said:

if you're getting 18's with 215/30/18 rubber AND lowered you car, get at least +45 offset or greater.

+48 are preferable over +45 but wheel choices in that offset are very limited.

Kahn performance wheel offset

I have a question, "chopstickhero" said if you get 18's w/ 215/30/18 rubber and lowered you car, get at least +45 offset or greater.

I want to put "Kahn RSR 18x7.5 5x114.3" But the only offsets for that wheel is available in from edgeracing.com is:
17x7 5x114.3 offset: +35
18x7.5 5x114.3 offset: +37
18x8 5x114.3 offset: +40
18x9.5 5x114.3 offset: +45

I talked to the the service guy at edgeracing.com and he told me that +37 is perfect even if I would like to lower my car, and would make it flush. I am confused, because he says one thing, and you say another??

Re: Kahn performance wheel offset

jhanson9 said:
I have a question, "chopstickhero" said if you get 18's w/ 215/30/18 rubber and lowered you car, get at least +45 offset or greater.

I want to put "Kahn RSR 18x7.5 5x114.3" But the only offsets for that wheel is available in from edgeracing.com is:
17x7 5x114.3 offset: +35
18x7.5 5x114.3 offset: +37

I talked to the the service guy at edgeracing.com and he told me that +37 is perfect even if I would like to lower my car, and would make it flush. I am confused, because he says one thing, and you say another??

the guy at edgerracing.com is saying GO FOR IT because HE is going to get your money! AND just what do you do when HE is wrong? I tell you what you are going to do...YOU are going to be stuck with some VERY expensive stuff that you can't use. and he will most likely scratch his head and say...hmm I THOUGHT they would fit...OH WELL.... :{D

here is some information from an EXPERT....a guy that has his own suspension tuning shop which also sells wheels and tires....he has actually tried nearly every wheel/tire combination ACTUALLY ON our cars....and if you have ANY doubt as to whether or not YOUR specific application will work or not....give them a call...Richie will gladly find the CORRECT answer for you....BTW...he is a Protege owner and KNOWS our cars. This fitment guide covers both the sedan AND the P-5

THE MATRIX: 3rd Generation Proto's

Mazda Protege5 fitment guide

215/40/17; 215/35/18
-------------
7.0" +45 and higher
7.5" +48 and higher

205/40/17
-------------
7.0" +42 and higher; Barely making it
7.5" +48 or higher, the +45 still worries me with this width on a 205.

Mazda Protege Sedan
----------------------------
Can run 2 to 3 mm less offset than the Wagon. Appears to have a little more room under the fender. As we've got no problems with wheelguuruu's 19's at all.

BEWARE OF THE PASSENGER SIDE. IT will be the first to rub. hehe. Not as much negative adjustment on that side, even with camber bolts. Based on left hand drive. hehe.

Hope this helps everyone. Please feel free to call us as we will be stocking the real good ones, quality, appearance, weight, perfect fitment. Plus you'll get your forum/club deal and the sanctity of mind that the fitment has my blessing.

Be weary of the "local tire shop" as many have not done real time fitments prior to your consultation. Not even the manufacturers who create the fitment guide for the dealers have test fitted everything. It's based on patterns with fitments in the industry. Unfortunately, our cars veer off that line just slightly but enough to be very annoying and bad when you just bought wheels that you were told fit only to have them rub.

We are a tuning shop and therefore specialize in certain performance oriented vehicles. Therefore do multiple fitments on the same vehicles with different wheels and so forth. We weigh them loaded and unloaded, tires and wheels. It's some good info to base your decisions on.

Thanks, Rishie

Automotive R & D
1626 Pomona Ave.
San Jose, CA. 95110
408-947-0505

Tire, Wheel, and Suspension Experts

what about

Hey what if I bought the:

What would the 8 or 9.5 increase do to my car, would it rub, because it's too fat??

unless you JACK THE CAR UP so that the wheels can stick out from the sides of the car...you are going to have a problem.....

our cars will not handle wheels that wide PROPERLY.

I called tire rack, and there people said +38 offset would be fine. He was saying good luck on trying to find some 18 x 7.5 with anything greater than a +40 offset. Which I found true, I can't find a rim with 18 x 7.5 with a +45 to +48 offset.

Re: reply

jhanson9 said:
I called tire rack, and there people said +38 offset would be fine. He was saying good luck on trying to find some 18 x 7.5 with anything greater than a +40 offset. Which I found true, I can't find a rim with 18 x 7.5 with a +45 to +48 offset.

like I mentioned before....Richie has a shop and has personally done the actual fitment in person...on his own car, and on MANY customers cars....on PROTEGES...both MP3's and P-5s....

the guy at tire rack is in the same place as the other guy...they want your money......do yourself a favor and after you decide on a specific wheel you would like to get...give Richie a call, tell him where you heard about him....he WILL verify for you personally if the wheel you want will work on our cars....and he can and will also verify for you if its available in an offset that truely works for our cars..

on top of all that...he may be able to make you a really good deal on them too.....after all...whats it gonna cost you for the assurance that they will work? a couple bucks for a long distance phone call? worth it when you are talking about spending many hundreds of dollars for a set of wheels, don't ya think?

Please.....all I am trying to do is help you get as much information as possible before you possible make a mistake and end up with a set of wheels that look nice...but possible don't fit your car properly.

SirNuke

What's Richie's phone #? I checked the thread up and down...I may have missed it but I don't see it. I'd like to give him a call about some wheels I want for my P5. Thanks!

Let me resurrect this thread from the dead. According to this fitment guide, what an informative thread this is btw, the wheels I have should fit w/out rubbing issues. I have 17x7 with 48 offset. That is, IF the numbers on the back of the wheel mean what I think they mean. One spoke says 17x7, and the spoke right next to it says something like ET 48. Now, according to the fitment guide, and if my assumption is correct, I should not rub. However, I do have issues in the rear. I am on Eibach Pro Kit springs w/ stock struts. I attribute the rubbing to sagging struts. Anyone else care to chime in??

Tasty said:
Let me resurrect this thread from the dead. According to this fitment guide, what an informative thread this is btw, the wheels I have should fit w/out rubbing issues. I have 17x7 with 48 offset. That is, IF the numbers on the back of the wheel mean what I think they mean. One spoke says 17x7, and the spoke right next to it says something like ET 48. Now, according to the fitment guide, and if my assumption is correct, I should not rub. However, I do have issues in the rear. I am on Eibach Pro Kit springs w/ stock struts. I attribute the rubbing to sagging struts. Anyone else care to chime in??

What's the width of your tires?

Tasty said:
205/40/17

Hmm couldn't tell you then! I'm running 17"x7" with 45 offest and a 205/40 tire, lowered with eibach and no rubbing!? Wish I could help, sorry!

Yeah, it's weird. Only thing I can guess is the struts are pretty well fried and they aren't keeping the car from bounding too low when I hit bumps...hence the rubbing. I'm currently shopping exhaust and struts.

yeah, you should be able to run a 215/40 with a 17x7 +48. something seems wrong if your rubbing. are you rubbing on the strut or the fender? if it's the fender, then the offset isn't 48.

Back