Question about the Flash

jmv

:
2003 MSP #1475
Just curious about how this works... I know mazda made the re-flash for the MSP, and i know that the reflash is really not a good thing if you plan on doing some modding, because its not reversable. Well, i don't know if my car has been flashed or not, since i'm not the original owner... and its going to be going into the dealer for warranty replacement of the sub soon.

Is there any chance that A) they would check to see if it had been flashed, and flash it if it hasn't been, without asking or saying anything to me, and B) any chance i could ask them to check to see if it has been flashed or not, and if it hasn't, ask them not to do it??

Thanks

jmv said:
Just curious about how this works... I know mazda made the re-flash for the MSP, and i know that the reflash is really not a good thing if you plan on doing some modding, because its not reversable. Well, i don't know if my car has been flashed or not, since i'm not the original owner... and its going to be going into the dealer for warranty replacement of the sub soon.

Is there any chance that A) they would check to see if it had been flashed, and flash it if it hasn't been, without asking or saying anything to me, and B) any chance i could ask them to check to see if it has been flashed or not, and if it hasn't, ask them not to do it??

Thanks
those are very good questions. ....I blew my o2 sensor, the tech guy (my sisters husband) plugged the car ecu into the computer and it said there was "new software" or "new updates" (whatever it said) ....it's standard procedure for them to do whatever updates mazda puts out... so I dont know if they'll NOT do it - even if you ask them not to...

my own brother in law wouldnt even NOT flash the car, even though I told him I didnt want it done...
on a side note: I told him about the "flash" he said: wtfru talking about? what's a flash ? I dont think they call them "flashes" I think they call them "ecu updates" or something...

(this is the second time today i've told this story)

Last edited:
Yea if they hook up the WDS to your car for a CEL they will flash your car no matter what. It happened to me. Look for a sticker under your hood for an authorized Mazda Modification for PCM recalibration. That and I noticed the midrange power and the air/fuel ratios changed on my wideband.

Another interesting tib-bit. My friends MSP is an 03, mine is a 03.5. Both have been flashed. The 03 doesn't hesitate about 75% of the time through the rpm range at WOT. Mine, however, does hesitate 100% of the time around 3300rpms at WOT. Would my CAI and FMIC be causing this difference in behavior? I am half tempted to swap ECUs and see what happens.

If you ask them not to do it, I don't see why they would. They might question why you wouldn't want it done though.

I just wondered if maybe they would do it anyway, since thats what they're probably supposed to do. I guess they could argue that the car isn't coverable under warranty if i don't let them do the flash. Wouldn't really make sense, i just want to try and make sure its not done to my car if it hasn't been done already.

And also.... would there be any reason for them to hook the car up to the computer that shows it has a software update available, if all they're doing is checking my sub (which is blown) to see if it is in fact not working (which its not)??

livelyjay said:
..... Would my CAI and FMIC be causing this difference in behavior? I am half tempted to swap ECUs and see what happens....

You're gettin plenty of cool air in, now let it out. Buy an exhaust!

Back