question about ssafc

neroxix

:
Mazdaspeed Protege' 2003.5
I ordered my ssafc and it is supposed to be coming in by this weekend, with that being said I wanted to gather up the parts that I need to install it. I plan to go the soldering way since I solder very frequently. One of the questions I have is about the vacuum line. What size is it? And what size of the vacuum T connector should I purchase? Also will I need extra wiring? I will be mounting it in my glove box like most members on here.
I have the 10mm socket to disassemble the ecu but would it be easier with a wrench? Thanks for reading.

I don't recall the vac line size, I want to say 3mm. You shouldn't need any extra wires and a socket would work best for removing the ECU.

so I just got my ssafc in today and I must say, its a bit larger than what I expected. It feels pretty heavy and nicely built. Looking forward to installing this whenever I get the car back.
Another question is how do I know what pin is what number? Is there a diagram that has all of the pins on the ecu numbered? Or is it numbered on the ecu itself? Thanks hornsfan you've been extremely helpful on all of my posts.

You are welcome that's why we are here. The pins should have tiny numbers on the back of the connector itself or you can easily find a diagram online the ECU is a Ford ECU and the layout of the # of pins should be the same. I used the instructions to find which wire by the color, then verified I had the correct wire by checking which pin it goes to.

Ok that helps a bunch. I actually work as a tech for electronics so i was wondering if it were numbered on the board itself which it seems like it is.
Updated news about the car, it has a bad wastegate. I noticed it would not get the full 7psi that it should be getting, but im new to the turboed engines and just thought maybe just a bad vacuum line somewhere. Also when i would boost it would go to around 5psi max and then drop to around 3psi. Does that sound like a bad wastegate or should i check into another shop for a second opinion? I'm kind of tight on money after the purchase of the ssafc is why i am asking.
Also would the Wastegate replacement be an easy job for me to do? I plan on getting a CAI soon but didn't really look up too much info on the installation as of yet. I read that it is connected near the turbo and i think I have seen it before but not 100% sure on how to go about changing it. Guess my question is, should I just change it whenever i install the Injen CAI? would that make it easier since ill be replacing a lot of the piping anyways? Or is the wastegate in a totally different location? Another question is if I would happen to replace the wastegate, which type of wastegate should i buy (brand wise)? I plan to run at max 10psi once money and time is not an issue. Also what are the average dyno or butt dyno numbers that you can run at 10psi with basic bolt ons (not forged)? Just curious.

You can check the wga by blowing into the vacuum line, if it holds air it should be functioning. If air passes through the diaphragm is torn and it needs to be replaced. They are relatively easy to replace even with the turbo installed, it is one of the first things many owners have to replace. ATPturbo.com is the place to get a wga, make sure it is for a gt25 turbo. It will run about 9psi but that shouldn't be a problem, otherwise you can get a Forge which is adjustable (I have one and it spikes pretty bad and can be unpredictable) or an OEM which is over $300 and exactly like the ATP just runs 6-7psi. Ballpark whp would be around 200-215 depending on tune and mods with a bolt on MSP running ~10lbs.

So the wastegate actuator is what opens and closes right? And the diaphragm is the saucer looking thing?
Does the actuator need to be adjusted if i get one from atpturbo.com? Im just new to all this turbo stuff and with work being so busy lately, i havent had time to research a lot of the info.

The diaphragm is inside the wastegate actuator. The wastegate is a flap inside the turbo and the actuator outside the turbo uses a vacuum line to open the wastegate.

Back