Question About Fog Lights

I was wondering if any one know how to like reconnect the fog lights so that I don't have to turn on my headlight to be able to use them. I just want to put on my side marker and be able to use them. so any idea guys?

Please help.

power wire goes from your headlight switch to the fog light switch than to your fogs. thats why the fogs only turn on when your lights are on and turn off when you hit high beems or when you dont have your headlights on. so you would have to bypass all that by running a power source diectly to the switch. ohh and by the way its illegal in the US to have only your fog lights on. hints why the factory always wire up fogs to only work when head lights are on.

There is a how-to in here somewhere for that. I agree that after dark headlights are a must but WTF sense does it make to not be able to run driving/fogs with parking lights during early morning or dusk when lots of people have just parking lights on? It isn't against the law for just parking lights during those hours so why should it be against the law during those same hours to use parking & driving/fogs? The factory is not liable for paying your ticket either way so I don't believe dictating automatically how I use my car & it's features is the car makers business but I'm sure there are plenty of folks that like & need that extra governing touch that will disagree. I'm sure somehow that it is some dumbass safety thing & if so why not manditorily make all cars have auto lighting where ambient light controls what lights come on & just do away with all lighting controls period?

Last edited:
overdrivex said:
ohh and by the way its illegal in the US to have only your fog lights on.
ive seen ppl drive around with their parking lights and fogs turned on, and ive seen people drive around with only fogs on (even though this probably IS illegal) pakring lights and fogs on together isnt illegal because there are many cars from chevy and chrysler that do this

I simply want independent control of the features of my vehicle. What I do with them is my resonsibility.

overdrivex said:
ohh and by the way its illegal in the US to have only your fog lights on. hints why the factory always wire up fogs to only work when head lights are on.

That would be the incorrect answer. There are a helluva lot of cars that come from the factory that allow you to operate the fogs independently from the headlights. My 300M is one example, same thing with a just about every benz I've seen.

HOWEVER
If you live in the state of VA, it is illegal to have more than 6 driving lights (lows, highs and fogs) on at once, that's just a 'by-the-by' for anyone in VA.

*edit*
to the original poster, welcome - search is your friend. click the search link, and type in "fog light mod".

Last edited:
overdrivex said:
power wire goes from your headlight switch to the fog light switch than to your fogs. thats why the fogs only turn on when your lights are on and turn off when you hit high beems or when you dont have your headlights on. so you would have to bypass all that by running a power source diectly to the switch. ohh and by the way its illegal in the US to have only your fog lights on. hints why the factory always wire up fogs to only work when head lights are on.

NO you don't, i'm glad both of you know how to use the search function...
Thanks for finding the link evilmonkey, i was busy typing this response when you posted it :)

.paul said:
HOWEVER
If you live in the state of VA, it is illegal to have more than 6 driving lights (lows, highs and fogs) on at once, that's just a 'by-the-by' for anyone in VA.

Is there a mod that allows use of highs & lows @ the same time? Did a search but couldn't find it......on any car or truck forum. & would you need a high output alternator for that?

I'm just saying b/c I found out personally.

On my old accord I had a set of Hella FF75 auxilary lights that didn't automatically turn off when you put on the high-beams. I almost didn't pass state inspection because the aux. lights didn't go off.

Yes you'd need a high output alternator to do something like that. I never drove around with all six lights on so whatever.

when you take a defensive driving and you get to that part you will see it stated in the defensive driving course

.paul said:
I'm just saying b/c I found out personally.

On my old accord I had a set of Hella FF75 auxilary lights that didn't automatically turn off when you put on the high-beams. I almost didn't pass state inspection because the aux. lights didn't go off.

Yes you'd need a high output alternator to do something like that. I never drove around with all six lights on so whatever.

Hmm... so I guess my International Scout II set up with fog lights, driving lights, and a set of off-road floods on the push bar wired in to come on with the high beams wouldn't have gone over well in VA then?

God bless Texas, and my condolences to the relatives of anyone foolish enough to flash their brights at me. :D

Pesty said:
Hmm... so I guess my International Scout II set up with fog lights, driving lights, and a set of off-road floods on the push bar wired in to come on with the high beams wouldn't have gone over well in VA then?

God bless Texas, and my condolences to the relatives of anyone foolish enough to flash their brights at me. :D
lol id like to see that, thats gotta be insane

Hey well thank you to all your guys help I'll use the search more often now I'm new on this forum sorry. But thank you alot. and especially you evilmonkey. thank you alot.

Back