Protune!

moll88

:
08.5 mazdaspeed
What's up everyone I haven't posted on here in a while so I wanted to give everyone a little heads up I am getting a pro tune done by jeff Evans of Evans tuning on the 30th of this month to show the gains of a proper tune I dynoed te other day on a mustang dyno to get a base and my numbers were 275 hp and 293tq that was at 15psi of boost and temp outside was 76f, I was only hitting 15psi because of my leaky fmic core don't buy ebay ones waste of ur time and money!

My modds are :
3" catless ATP downpipe
3" vibrant dp back exhaust
Cpe nano sri
Rpmc tip
Hks ssqv3 -VTA
Forge WG blue spring
PG fmic with blacked out mitisumoto core
Trz dogbone rmm
Jb shifter plate and bushings
Acessport stage. 2 sri+ fmic
Ptp hpfp internals
Ngk step colder iridium plugs
Wr catchcan
Stock turbo!
And mazdaspeed6 motor- first one went zoom zoom boom!

So I'll keep everyone on here posted on the gains I receive from the tune!

holy crap, just googled directions to that place and its only 38 mins from where I live, how much did they charge if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks guys I'll post up the dynos later today and it was 500$ plus tax so it came to 530$ even, he is an awesome guy, when he was tuning he was in the zone haha car is so much smoother no knock and it feels like a diff monster!

Why VTA? Although the effect will not show up on a single gear run on a dyno, it sure ain't good for real world operation and typically results in the ECU chasing the AFR fluctuations and slightly detuning the engine when you use the car as a daily driver.

Your numbers are great, but are you just building a dyno queen or do you not care about the air fuel mismatch that takes place right after each shift?

Edit: The dyno sheet for the MS3 you posted seems to be reporting the estmiated flywheel hp and torque rather than whp and torque. Is that so? What kind of dyno are they using. 290/340 does not seem so good if it's flywheel estimated. That would put you down at about 260 whp or so. What am I missing?

Last edited:
It was a dynopack dyno your front wheels come off and the dyno bolts up , and I went VTA simply because the hks in recirc mode is not good for the valve, now I am tuned to run VTA so there is no af mismatch it was street tuned along with the dyno

I think they call that type of dyno "Dynapack." To interpret the data you need to see the full chart, which has a sidebar on the right side. The sidebar tells the story. And it needs to be SAE corrected for whp and not flywheel hp and torque. Otherwise the operator can make changes to the graph. And yes, the operator can make an estimate for driveline loss, enter that in the database (it would be shown in the sidebar) and you end up with an inflated number for flywheel power rather than whp.

Could you get and post the full chart with the sidebar? That would help us understand what kind of power you are putting down and whether the Protune really helped you.

Here's a representative example of the full chart from a run on that type of dyno. The circled area at the top shows the SAE correction mode. Note how that is different from yours which shows flywheel power. The circled area to the right is the side bar I was talking about. This chart is not on an MS3. I just post it to show you what a full chart should look like. You can get hoodwinked by the dyno operator on a Dynapack machine if you are not careful.

Attachments

• 13bredyno2.jpg
    13bredyno2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I think they call that type of dyno "Dynapack." To interpret the data you need to see the full chart, which has a sidebar on the right side. The sidebar tells the story. And it needs to be SAE corrected for whp and not flywheel hp and torque. Otherwise the operator can make changes to the graph. And yes, the operator can make an estimate for driveline loss, enter that in the database (it would be shown in the sidebar) and you end up with an inflated number for flywheel power rather than whp.

Could you get and post the full chart with the sidebar? That would help us understand what kind of power you are putting down and whether the Protune really helped you.

Here's a representative example of the full chart from a run on that type of dyno. The circled area at the top shows the SAE correction mode. Note how that is different from yours which shows flywheel power. The circled area to the right is the side bar I was talking about. This chart is not on an MS3. I just post it to show you what a full chart should look like. You can get hoodwinked by the dyno operator on a Dynapack machine if you are not careful.

If you look at the dyno graphs again you'll see the "comparison" mode graph shows SAE correction at the very top of the graph (I never touch the correction factor) and the "split" screen mode shows the TCF at 1.00. The TCF is where you can correct for drivetrain loss, etc and can be the "fudge" factor that some operators can change to add a % correction factor to the power/torque. 1.00 is no correction, 0.90 would be -10% lower, 1.1 would be 10% higher, etc. The dyno displays "flywheel torque" as "torque" its just a labeling thing with the dyno, keeping in mind the dyno is manufactured in New Zealand. We have 2 in house dynapack dynos both 2wd and 4wd, our newer 4wd PC shows "torque/power" and our older 2wd version displays "flywheel torque/power". Both read the same, again its just a software labeling thing that was done on the older models.

To all others on the board, we have done a few 3's and 6's so far with good results. We are located in Mt Bethel, PA which is right off of route 80. We are literally a few miles away from the NJ border. If anyone else is interested in having a pro tune done feel free to email or give us a call. www.evans-tuning.com

Thanks for the clarification. Could you post up the whole chart with the sidebar please? Other Dynapack dyno chart's I've seen do not say "Flywheel Torque" or "Flywheel Power" unless a correction factor was added. I'd just like to see the run data, if that's o.k..

Back