CX-5 Turbo: Any Valid Data on Power Mods?

Was this dyno ever performed? Would love to see results.
Yes the car has been on the dyno a few times. DRtuned just released tuning support over the weekend and I'm not sure what the forum rules are for posting to a vendors site but I'll post the link to my video. This first release is to change drivability, this is for the people that don't want to increase peak boost but want the car to feel and perform better and he has labeled it an OEM+ tune. The next release will be chasing peak horsepower and pushing more boost, timing, etc. Cliffnotes are 18 peak whp and 33 lb ft torque at peaks and 50-60 whp and lb ft under the curve at various points. The car pulls to redline, turbo spools much quicker and in my opinion is how the car should have come from the factory.

Edited the post for the relevant product link. Disclaimer I am not trying to push or sell one way or the other just relay the info.

Last edited:
Just to clarify WRT posting a vendor's site, it's perfectly fine to post it if it's for informational purposes. If the post appears to be promoting the sale of the product, or leans more towards an advertisement for the vendor or brand, then a moderator may message you to ask to revise the post.

Great results on the available tune so far! Glad to see more support for the 2.5T.

I’m keeping a close eye to this thread. I am very interested in seeing what this thing is capable of, in capable hands of course!

This is a 91 oct tune. I get it for WOT operation.

How would DRtuned work if kept below 4000 RPM and staying out of WOT on 87 oct?

I like the low end power gains and not interested in running WOT. Is there a chance for detonation?

For safety, you need to keep intake air as cold as possible, so bigger intercooler (air to air). Do NOT use a 'cold air intake' that pulls air from the engine compartment. Honestly, the stock intake probably flows more than enough.

Yes, what the MAF tells you is simply the airflow going through the system. With an increase in boost pressure and the MAF readings following it that shows the air is being used. The factory system flows pretty well, we'll run into turbo sizing issues before anything really becomes a major bottleneck.
I'd like to get your thoughts on the BMS intake. Most are naturally skeptical of claimed power increases from intakes, but they have posted Dyno gains.

Also this tuning solution looks really nice. Especially after the JB4 price increase.

Note that most every “dyno test” is performed with the hood open, guaranteeing that the coldest air available goes into the intake. With the hood closed all the air going into many intakes goes through the radiator first, so it’s much hotter. Dyno tests may not mimic real-world results - but they do work well to sell aftermarket parts.

Of course I don’t know how BMS runs their testing, but I do know that tuners I’ve purchased from them in the past lived up to their claims based on my butt dyno and track times. Cold air intakes, I’m not so sure.

Note that most every “dyno test” is performed with the hood open, guaranteeing that the coldest air available goes into the intake. With the hood closed all the air going into many intakes goes through the radiator first, so it’s much hotter. Dyno tests may not mimic real-world results - but they do work well to sell aftermarket parts.

Of course I don’t know how BMS runs their testing, but I do know that tuners I’ve purchased from them in the past lived up to their claims based on my butt dyno and track times. Cold air intakes, I’m not so sure.
2 points:

I don't operate at WOT often, if ever. Partial throttle comparisons to an OEM intake to a CAI would be meaningful. Wot dyno sells CAIs.

1 In my other life, 2500 Dodge turbo 5.9 Cimmins, I've roared tested, same stretch of Interstate, cruise control, same speed, within an hour of each test. The OEM beat the CAI!

2. Filter media and practical speed determine filtration. CAI filter have short pleasts and not as many as an OEM filter. My partial throttle tests show no gain or a loss. It's not worth shortening the lige of an expensive engine for marginal gains unless its a race car...

They also posted the graphs on the website.

I'd like to get your thoughts on the BMS intake. Most are naturally skeptical of claimed power increases from intakes, but they have posted Dyno gains.

Also this tuning solution looks really nice. Especially after the JB4 price increase.
I'm not sure about the BMS system but the one that puts the filter out of the engine bay would likely be the best for heatsoak and cooler air. I ran the Corksport TIP and SRI on my car until recently. It had a very annoying harmonica like sound that I hated. I swapped the SRI with the factory airbox and a higher flow AFE panel filter and use the Corksport TIP. The harmonica noise is gone (as are the BOV noises) and am also seeing higher MAF readings than with the SRI and vs stock.

I'm not sure about the BMS system but the one that puts the filter out of the engine bay would likely be the best for heatsoak and cooler air. I ran the Corksport TIP and SRI on my car until recently. It had a very annoying harmonica like sound that I hated. I swapped the SRI with the factory airbox and a higher flow AFE panel filter and use the Corksport TIP. The harmonica noise is gone (as are the BOV noises) and am also seeing higher MAF readings than with the SRI and vs stock.
I remember seeing that video. Interesting. I do want the BOV noises though 😁

@AL Cx5 how has your tune been?
I'm on my first tune from DRTuned.

I'm happy with this tune. It works just like the OEM tune but has a nice pickup in power to 5k rpm. Wish the Ecu would allow it to spin to 7k. Lol

We drove 800 miles to view the eclipse loaded with camping gear. The return was a lot of stop and go due to traffic, heavy rain and road construction. We averaged 31 mpg over the trip. One tank was 33 mpg. For a turbo, under these conditions I was pleased. I think I got one tank of old, sub par 93 Oct. Fuel efficiency dropped on this tank.

I'm used to big displacement, torque engines, like a Cummins turbo charged 5.9 and such. The CX 5 T is much more sensitive to weight, rain than my other vehicles. This is not bad, just another observation.

David is very methodical and careful with adding power. After the starter tune, I submitted a log per his detailed instructions. He then will email a revised tune, hopefully adding more power. He is responsive and sticks to his schedule. All good.

In sport mode it moves out nicely in first and second. Not a Dodge Hell Cat acceleration but quick. I passed one car on a 2 lane highway on our trip. Even loaded it passed effortless with plenty of power to spare, without down shifting.

The software is not user friendly but with enough persistence it works. I'm use to HP Tuners and Holley efi. Mazda Edit is like stepping back in time 15 years or more.

I like that my wife drives the car and it's tame. I wouldn't let her drive some of my other cars. The tunes brought the on power quickly.

We are taking it on a 1200 mile trip next week. It will be interesting to see how it does with less weight and lighter wheels.

I would do it again.

Last edited:
I'm on my first tune from DRTuned.

I'm happy with this tune. It works just like the OEM tune but has a nice pickup in power to 5k rpm. Wish the Ecu would allow it to spin to 7k. Lol

We drove 800 miles to view the eclipse loaded with camping gear. The return was a lot of stop and go due to traffic, heavy rain and road construction. We averaged 31 mpg over the trip. One tank was 33 mpg. For a turbo, under these conditions I was pleased. I think I got one tank of old, sub par 93 Oct. Fuel efficiency dropped on this tank.

I used to big displacement, torquy engines, like a Cummis turbo charged 5.9 and such. The CX 5 T is much more sensitive to weight, rain than my other vehicles. This not bad, just another observation.

David is very methodical and careful with adding power. After the starter tune, I submitted a log per his detailed instructions. He then will email a revised tune, hopefully adding more power. He is responsive and sticks to his schedule. All good.

In sport mode it moves out nicely in first and second. Not a Dodge Hell Cat acceleration but quick. I passed one car on a 2 lane highway on our trip. Even loaded it passed effortless with plenty of power to spare, without down shifting.

The software is not user friendly but with enough persistence it works. I'm use to HP Tuners and Holley efi. Mazda Edit is like stepping in time at back in time 15 years or more.

I like that my wife drives the car and it's tame. I wouldnt let her drive some of my other cars. The tunes brought the on power quickly.

We are takimg it on a 1200 mile trip next week. It will be interesting to see how it does with less weight and lighter wheels.

I would do it again.

Nice report. It's on my list after springs, wheels & tires, and TIP.
Who's TIP are you going to use? CS?

I'm waiting for your review and if it increases turbo noise into the cabin and fuel efficiency, FE.

I would like to see CS post stock vs CS TIP at several partial throttle positions. Like 20%, 40%, 60% throttle.

Since I don't race the CX 5, WOT is mostly meaningless to me. I can count on 2 hands how many times it's been to WOT. And 4 of those were to logging per DRTuned instructions.

We have done a lot of testing changing TIP and air filter box on our 5.9 Cummins. Like CS the vender posted WOT gains. My testing and FE records confirmed the stock TIP worked better over a wide range of partial throttle. Folks started putting their OE TIP and filter box back in their trucks and confirmed my tests.

One thing we discovered, adding turning vanes in the intakes 90 degree elbows increased FE at partial throttle. I was following another members lead. I was surprised to see gains with turning vanes. This is on my list on the CX 5. I'll post up if it works or not.

Another gain on the Cummins was to add a back flow damper to the air filter box. It opens gradually as engine load/boost increases. Our air filter box has a "filter minder" pressure drop gauge. Before adding this feature, the gauge would show it was under enough vacuum, indicating the filter was getting dirty. With the mod, the gauge has not moved off of zero between filter changes, 10k mi.

I haven't look at the air box in detail to see how hard it would be to add this mod.

Last edited:
Who's TIP are you going to use? CS?

I'm waiting for your review and if it increases turbo noise into the cabin and fuel efficiency, FE.

I would like to see CS post stock vs CS TIP at several partial throttle positions. Like 20%, 40%, 60% throttle.

Since I don't race the CX 5, WOT is mostly meaningless to me. I can count on 2 hands how many times it's been to WOT. And 4 of those were to logging per DRTuned instructions.
CS. But as with most mods that increase airflow, they also decrease velocity. So I would expect (and CS graphs appear to show) a reduction in power below 2200 rpm.

1000019831.jpg

Me, I think we have enough on tap that I'm not worried about it. But I think the TIP with a tune could open up some big gains over the entire powerband.

I might recommend you skip the TIP. As with most mods that increase airflow, they also decrease velocity. So I would expect (and CS graphs appear to show) a reduction in power below 2200 rpm.

View attachment 327508

Me, I think we have enough on tap that I'm not worried about it.
I've looked at this WOT dyno graph.

The lose of low end power at WOT will be amplified at partial throttle. At WOT, CS TIP takes a big jump in power above 2200 rpm. Assuming boost is coming on this exponentially increasing volume.

It would be faulse to assume at partial throttle this TIP increases power at 2200 rpm.

I'll call CS and see what they say how this works at partial throttle. Also our runer might have partial throttle logs...

Last edited:
Back