Protege5 - Show us your rust!

ill look into my options on what to replace them with, i will however need to buy some new drill bits, and drill out the remainder of the bolts that are still rusted into my frame lol

I got a small set of dewalt cobalt bits for pretty cheap at homedepot, they drill through those rusty bolts like butter. I'd advise against the Canadian Tire brand cobalt bits, they're absolute garbage compared to the dewalt ones. It's a good thing they have a lifetime warranty because I seem to need a new one each time I drill through some metal.

well heres my cars only rust :) its 98.9% rust free. just got some surface cancer under the battery P11-27-10_14.03[1].jpgP11-27-10_14.03.jpg..and no rust anywhere else including passenger side strut tower (breakn)(stoned)

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I think I just won.

This is on the passenger-side in the front:
UBN8c.jpg

The "metal" is flakier and less structurally sound than a croissant.
w3BLe.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, there's a protege sedan at the train station I go to with completely rusted-out A-pillars, it looks sooo gross. You don't see that very often.

Do you think you'll have to remove the windshield to fix that?

so weird, i have no rust on my wheel arches...my drivers door at the weep holes (didn't do much weeping though) and on my hatch on the underside around the weep holes there.

Here are some pics for you guys...

6147127200_1dc00aa635_z.jpg

6146551107_6e12033713_z.jpg

6147088584_333f5d82ae_z.jpg

Those bolts in the rear bumper are actually holding the corners in place.

Damn, you've got me beat on fender rust.

Interestingly, I have the exact same spot of rust under the side skirt as seen in the bottom-left of this pic:

I haven't resorted to bolts to hold in the bumper yet, I found a spot where I could zip-tie the corners in place...

ahhh y put more money in that thing :( what cuzes that to happend anyways? and wouldnt u wanna get it fixed right wen u see a bubble?!?!

ahhh y put more money in that thing :( what cuzes that to happend anyways? and wouldnt u wanna get it fixed right wen u see a bubble?!?!

Please proofread before submitting a post, that sentence was surprisingly hard to read.

I think most of us fixed some rust, but at some point it becomes a losing battle, I can think of 10+ places that need fixing on my car and they all cropped up at roughly the same time. At some point you just say "**** it" and just live with it.

I have a big can of POR-15 on its way, my plan is to get rid of as much rust as possible and seal everything using it. It ain't gunna look pretty but it should slow down the cancer.

Back