Protege5 - How many miles have you gone before changing the timing belt?

i changed mine at 125k but one of the other belts broke the day before i took it in lol. so i just had them replace all the belts it cost around $400

from what i have read, belt snapping at higher speed means it is more likely to bend a valve. there are some who have had it happen at idle with no problems.

im driving mine till it breaks... then i get a new car!

Yes, the engine is mechanically a non-interferance motor. You can take the tbelt off and crank on the motor till the battery dies and there will no damage done. It is when the belt breaks at normal driving conditions is when valves are bent. The pressure of the bottom end still spinning and compressing air and the valves not allowing air to evacuate fast enough is when valves are bent. But on another note...its not just the condition of the tbelt you have to be worried about. The forgetten tensioner pulleys have oil seals they like to give out wit no warning. I started to get a chirping noise from the tbelt side of the engine. I did my tbelt at 117k and the seals on the backside of the pulleys were starting to give out.

bsuhsc's timing belt lasted 163k miles until the teeth came off.

5070450516_fa94779db0_z.jpg

I just changed mine at 122,000. I was amazed at how good it looked. Kinda made me feel bad spending money on a new one.

Changed mine out a couple weeks ago 156000 km's I still feel bad about paying almost 1/5th the cost of the car for a belt and pump change.

im up to 196,000 miles and havent replaced anythign in my car exept for oil n stuch ... cluch still first one ... timeing belt... all of that ... probably gonna go out soon (boom06)

150k and still "ticking"...i was going to do it this past summer but had too much fun modding and driving the msm...i guess i'll do it next summer or when it breaks?

I guess I don't see the point in waiting. Then it's a tow bill on top of it and an unscheduled repair.

i bought my p5 this summer with 121000 miles i'm up to 136000 now and getting kinda nervous. the last thing i want is to be out on a trip in the middle of no where and have the belt go. I want to buy a belt and water pump so that I can get this done some weekend. when i did my mx-3 it took almost 2 days, this time i have a compressor and some air tools so maybe it will go faster... will i have to replace my valve cover gasket when i do this?

yes do the valve cover, water pump, tensioner with new spring and the idler. best way to go and then you dont kick yourself later when something goes and you have to peel it all off again. I skipped doing the water pump when I did mine at 124k km and now I am kicking myself because it is leaking.

I did my first timing belt at 106k and again recently at 137k. I hydrolocked it though and did a full rebuild the block so i figured a new timing belt would work.

1000 dollars later my FS runs great again. bearings, pistons, rings, rods, oil pump, water pump, all gaskets etc changed along with new clutch and axles. The driveline hopefully should get me another 137k before I get rid of this car.

EDIT: wow I got an old skool sig with the marquee mod list....hmm

I'm only at 74K on my '02, but a 9 year old rubber belt... no way I trust it. I plan to change it this month. I'm going to get the whole kit including belts, tensioners, water pump, gaskets and seals, etc.

Back