Protege5 - How many miles have you gone before changing the timing belt?

Almost to 300k miles on original timing belt and original clutch. I have owned the car since it had 15 miles on it. I have only replaced the front struts and the driver side front brake caliper. Everything else is original

Spark plugs are original? Spark plug wires? Ever changed the transmission fluid?

My car has a little over 123k on it now. When I bought it I was told the belt had been changed before the previous owner bought it at 90k. Was it? I have no receipt of it being done. I thought about popping the valve cover off (gasket could used replaced anyway) and just checking the timing belt, but I am not sure that will tell me much. I am about to bite the bullet and just do it for the sake of not being stranded somewhere if it does decide to go.

Tune up stuff i dont count. Brake pads. Air filter. Has same coil packs and wires. But have changed spark plugs.. And never changed transmission fluid. Its 5 speed. I probably need to check it.

Mine broke at 195k. Rented a dolly from uhaul because it broke about 100 miles from my house and towed it home with my sequoia. $30 later at O'Reilly and all better

Is there any truth to this? I am curious as to why.

Apparently yes... A few people have bent valves.

The tolerance is so tight on our engines that wear over time allows the piston to slap the valves.

It's very rare but it does happen and a lot of parts suppliers now list the FS engine as an interference engine... That's why I changed my T-belt just to find it had already been done.

My car has a little over 123k on it now. When I bought it I was told the belt had been changed before the previous owner bought it at 90k. Was it? I have no receipt of it being done. I thought about popping the valve cover off (gasket could used replaced anyway) and just checking the timing belt, but I am not sure that will tell me much.

If the belt says, for example, "Made in USA," that would tell you it's been changed. I believe briansmobile1 on YouTube has a video on figuring out if your timing belt has been changed. Check it out..

ok so i pulled my valve cover to check the timing belt 0,o it is not OEM from japan. it is a gates. and it looks to not have been on there very long. not very glossy and the numbers look like it was just printed. lol i go out of town a lot and my cousin some times uses my car. and so i was like hey man. you changed the belt in my car or what. he laughed and said yeah. he drove it when it was at around 120k miles and the belt broke and he fixed it without telling me. and then again around 240k OR so he had it changed again just cus he knows im lazy.. lol i called him a dbag cus i was on here bragging about how awesome my car was for making it close to 300k miles with same timing belt... he did say the clutch he never had changed so that is pretty good to make it almost 300k. It is getting pretty weak though

Holy sh*t, I need a cousin like that. Buy a nice clutch kit and leave it next to the car the next time you go out of town. Also, a rear engine mount. Wait... Make that two - I'll drop my car off beforehand. :D

Holy sh*t, I need a cousin like that. Buy a nice clutch kit and leave it next to the car the next time you go out of town. Also, a rear engine mount. Wait... Make that two - I'll drop my car off beforehand. :D

Right? I think my throw out bearing is going out and I need a new tranny installed. Might as well do it all at once. They should do a road trip all over the country helping fellow mazdas in need on working on cars.

This should be good for a laugh here.I had it changed about 2 months ago at about 94k. The mechanic said it looked to be in good shape.I'm putting on new struts in a few days when they show up from Rock auto.That will finish the suspension and it will all be new. I have zero rust still and the car seems to be running better as time goes on.I run the piss out of her and she laughs at me. The Florida sun is starting to put a beatdown on the pussy magnet yellow paint job though.

Almost to 300k miles on original timing belt and original clutch. I have owned the car since it had 15 miles on it. I have only replaced the front struts and the driver side front brake caliper. Everything else is original

Dang- that is something... I just had my timing belt changed to keep me sleeping at night... and my mechanic showed it to me and he said, " well it looks new but it is a little stretched" ... sh*t it looked perfect to me. 14 year old car but only 100K miles ... probably could have saved the money and continued to another 100k

I changed my timing belt at about 102K when the water pump went out...it's all right there, and the timing belt was due soon, so I just did both.

I'm at 125k on my car and bought it with about 105k. The previous owner had a lot of scheduled maintenance done at the dealer which showed up on Carfax. However, I saw no sign of the t-belt having been done. I changed the valve cover when I got the car and the belt didn't look worn at all so either it was never changed or it was changed at an independent shop that doesn't report to Carfax. I might do it next summer for the peace of mind but otherwise I'm not worried about it.

Just bought mine at 67k miles but it's an 02 so it's 15 years old. Pretty sure it has the original belt.

in the manual there's no specific time interval for Timing belt change, all it says is 105k miles. Is it urgent I change mine right now or can it wait a year or so? or can I actually wait to 105k. from the looks of this thread looks like people have gone high miles with their original belt (someone even said 300k miles? that can't be right!)

If you plan on high revving the motor, 15 years is a long time. If you're just putting around town you may make it longer...but at this point you can't really compare someone making it 300k within a few years of purchasing the car with 300k 15 years later.

Back