Protege5 HID Conversion Question

njaremka

Wiggity-Wack-O-Tack
Contributor
:
2012 Mini R55
for those of you with HID conversions, what bulb did you use on you low beam? H7? how did you get the bulb clip tohold the HID into the housing? from the stock set-up, it looks like the clip won't hold the bulb without the adapter.

It'll hold the HID bulb though somehow.. it did with my helios kit, I didn't need to use the adapters (not that you could anway with the wires coming out of the HID bulbs).

some of the picture of H7 hid bulbs had a little "adapter" (for lack of a better word) ring on the back of the base. is that what your has? i'm refering to an actual ring, not the grommet.

image003.jpg
take a look at the attached picture - this bulb looks like it will work out fine. but, i have seen some that don't appear to have that "adapter ring" thingie

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 145
mine doesn't have the adapter .. I can check and confirm that today but yeah.. that adapter pictured looks just like the factory adapter on the H7 halogen bulbs that mazda uses... just without the two spades coming out of it.

The only thing I don't like about my helios kit is that there's so many boxes to mount.. two ballasts, two ignitors..

I have a different kit but with mine I just got some spacer washers from home depot. I had to use about 9 or 10 on each blub to fill in that space, but it works fine.

the HID's i bought from Protephile...i guess had the little adaptor that you showed pictures of.....only thing is....to get the little clip to fit around the Bulb and be able to have it latch around the little gold latch...i had to lossen the screw that holds the gold latch onto the bulb housing, so it gave more play while it was lossened, i could get the clip to be latched....then just tightened the screw back down a little bit.

honestly.....its more of a headache it you put the bulb on with the headlights attached to the car....i recently swapped out my headlights with black housing lights....and with the headlights off the car...it was so much easier to put the bulbs in, then trying to do it with the headlights on the car

yeah, i have some protege5 headlights waiting to be installed into my ES - thats why i posted this

Back