Protege5: Harder, not Smarter!

haters-gonna-hate-7.jpg

60mpgs sound impressive... although very boring ;)

I've enjoyed bragging about 35mpgs a few times in my 120k miles with as much power as I have... but it's the 8mpg romps that keep my love for the p5 and with a 2 mile commute to work no biggie!

My next mod suggestion for you would be the relocation mod and get a shorter commute to work :)

Removed my sunroof...or is it moonroof? lol

Building one out of lexan, will post up pictures when I'm totally finished. Ran out of time today =/

Weighed the bracketry and the moonroof on my official bathroom scales. 30 pounds replaced with 0.3 pounds of lexan?

551290_10150628560076806_107382671805_9500808_364623262_n.jpg

Last edited:
Heres the pics of the lexan moonroof install.

Not bad for my first try with lexan I think.

The Slave.

Did a 1 inch border and painted it on the bottom edge with black testors acrylic paint (for models)
Used clear silicone to waterproof the edges from the inside.

Cheers!

i actually really like the lexan there... personally, i hate sun/moon roofs. i cant drive with them open (i feel like someone is watching me and i get nervous)

i'd do that as well... but i dont really care about weight too much considering i just finished adding sound deadening.
then again my highest mpg has been 21..... i might need to pic up some tips from you >.<

i actually really like the lexan there... personally, i hate sun/moon roofs. i cant drive with them open (i feel like someone is watching me and i get nervous)

i'd do that as well... but i dont really care about weight too much considering i just finished adding sound deadening.
then again my highest mpg has been 21..... i might need to pic up some tips from you >.<

Haha yea I dont like the moonroofs at all. I got some black plastic I can stick up under it if its ever too bright having it open all the time. :)

imag0243a.jpg

Currently how it looks.
imag0244b.jpg

imag0245zc.jpg

Before I snapped on the wheel and ziptied on my mazda registration details case (filled with emergency backup zipties!)

this is awesome! subbin! i got 43.5MPG with the mods listed below. my best tank is 548.5 and i still had 0.6 gallons left lol

The danglin' manual is crackin me up

Agreed, hilarious.

Awesome thread and pretty sweet goals. Glad to see you're in Bellingham, it makes sense that someone from Bham would be super into hypermiling a P5 HAHAHA.

Agreed, hilarious.

Awesome thread and pretty sweet goals. Glad to see you're in Bellingham, it makes sense that someone from Bham would be super into hypermiling a P5 HAHAHA.

Hahaha yes...wait....your that black p5 I see all around eh? :D I see it all the time when I'm at a restaurant or something. Always make a point of yelling "p5!"

And yes, I love my ziptied manual case, lol people get a good laugh out of it. Not uncommon to see 2-3 ppl standing around my car looking at it XD

this is awesome! subbin! i got 43.5MPG with the mods listed below. my best tank is 548.5 and i still had 0.6 gallons left lol

Nice! Full interior and everything?

Last edited:
She will never be anywhere near 60mpg unless you're building a boat tail for it and changing the gearing...but she looks fun regardless! :) I really want to do something about this whole 65mph and 3000rpm garbage. My other car is 75mph and 2500rpm. :( Finally broke 30mpg for this tank...almost all freeway driving @ 65mph. Car has under 90k miles and the tires are @ 45psi. 404.3 miles on 13.5xx gallons. Wewt! Now I can start with a few little mods to increase mpg a little. I'm hoping with the springs, grille block (maybe...summers are hot), intake and 5th gear swap I can get closer to 34mpg for a good tank average. We'll see I guess.

For a more accurate idea of what it takes to double your fuel mileage, check out www.aerocivic.com. This guy can get over 800 miles from an 11-gal tank! A header, springs and an intake aren't going to raise your fuel economy by 50%.

Last edited:
That's awesome. Look into lightweight wheels also. You can get 16-18 lbs wheels. I know carbon fiber wheels exist. I'm not sure if they are super light or more for looks. I would suggest going up to 17's. More surface area will help out the slightest bit on mpg. If you up the ratio from your central hub to the outside surface that meets the ground, a larger circumference will cover more land with the same amount of work.

16" Rota Slipstreams are light and cheap, I've used them on several cars.

15x6.5 11.9 lbs
16x7 14.5 lbs

Under 400 a set.

She will never be anywhere near 60mpg unless you're building a boat tail for it and changing the gearing...but she looks fun regardless! :) I really want to do something about this whole 65mph and 3000rpm garbage. My other car is 75mph and 2500rpm. :( Finally broke 30mpg for this tank...almost all freeway driving @ 65mph. Car has under 90k miles and the tires are @ 45psi. 404.3 miles on 13.5xx gallons. Wewt! Now I can start with a few little mods to increase mpg a little. I'm hoping with the springs, grille block (maybe...summers are hot), intake and 5th gear swap I can get closer to 34mpg for a good tank average. We'll see I guess.

For a more accurate idea of what it takes to double your fuel mileage, check out www.aerocivic.com. This guy can get over 800 miles from an 11-gal tank! A header, springs and an intake aren't going to raise your fuel economy by 50%.

A lower RPM at cruising speed doesn't always help like people think. The cruising RPM at highway speed is typically set so that you're within the peak torque curve, therefore being more efficient. If you're lugging the engine around at a low rpm that it can't handle, you're sucking down more fuel.

Haha yeah that's probably me, driving like an ayass. I always point out P5's or call out "P5!" when I see 'em around town too. If I ever have someone in my car or if I'm ever with someone they just shake their heads haha.

I really like your car though dude, cool stuff with the weight reduction and huge MPG's.

We need to get our NW P5 brothas together for a BBQ or meet at Boomer's sometime in the near future on a nice day.

She will never be anywhere near 60mpg
I gotta have dreams amirite? (loser)
16" Rota Slipstreams are light and cheap, I've used them on several cars.

15x6.5 11.9 lbs
16x7 14.5 lbs

Under 400 a set.

Yea those are the exact ones I've been eyeballing lately.

Haha yeah that's probably me, driving like an ayass. I always point out P5's or call out "P5!" when I see 'em around town too. If I ever have someone in my car or if I'm ever with someone they just shake their heads haha.

I really like your car though dude, cool stuff with the weight reduction and huge MPG's.

We need to get our NW P5 brothas together for a BBQ or meet at Boomer's sometime in the near future on a nice day.

Dude that would be aweeeeesome! I took her down to Nissanfest 2012 last week, several thousand cars...only saw one other mazda the entire time, a MS3, reppin the mazda's haha.

In other news: New corksport intake/exhaust cams + 9:1 wiseco pistons + eagle rods and a full set of ARP studs incoming for when the summer months get warmer.

Sitting with the other wagons I could find.

Last edited:
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiick, glad to hear about the new parts. I'm not THAT mechanically inclined but I could definitely give you a hand with installing sometime. You have a garage or use someone else's around here?

Back