Protege5: Harder, not Smarter!

Yeah, they are Ace Mantas. 17x7.5 with 43, or -43 offset IIRC. Still rollin on them. Not sure why they were there other than some deal that didn't happen for some reason.
so very strange. I could think of a few reasons how this would have happen, but the 13 miles on the car reason out all of the miles. Unless someone bought the car, took it home, put wheels on it and then had it repossessed due to payment fraud or some crap. Any previous owner should show up on a Carfax report. Possibly the car had damaged wheels upon arrival and the dealership replaced them with aftermarkets to sell sooner rather than wait for OEM's to ship from Japan.

Was no other owner, who knows the reason. I didn't care or question it other than to make sure they were left on it when I left with it.

Update. I stated that the Sport 2.0 bumper was a 40lb reduction. I learned that Brian removed his rear crash guard when he installed the JDM bumper. That would explain the large weight loss and potential hazards. Sorry for any misleading info earlier

All this in the pursuit of better gas mileage???

Ooooooooookk....

It's an interesting problem to tackle, and for these cars I don't think many people have tried. Of course it's not as exciting as building an engine for massive power, but everybody and their retarded uncle has done that...

It's an interesting problem to tackle, and for these cars I don't think many people have tried. Of course it's not as exciting as building an engine for massive power, but everybody and their retarded uncle has done that...

I mean.... For all the money you're investing in all this crap, you could buy quite a few tanks of gas...

I mean.... For all the money you're investing in all this crap, you could buy quite a few tanks of gas...

Weight reduction helps speed, cornering, acceleration, braking, gas mileage...

Aerodynamics....affect mileage, speed...of course its not a total racecar and I'm not hunting for "downforce" with my aero to be mods. But it all helps at the track anyways.

Also think trying an endurance race would be extremely fun someday, wouldn't hurt to have such a nice bonus on mileage for that.

How many miles to a tank are you getting?

Last tank I got 624 when I filled up. 100% city.

Last edited:
Noticed this sound deadening hiding behind sheet metal. Always been annoyed that I couldn't remove it. Then I read about removing spot welds with a drill the other day...(angel)

Mark the center of where you want to drill with a center punch. Make sure your slip bit is not going to slip.

Removed metal pieces.

Now to remove the deadening...my favorite activity for the day. (get the internet sarcasm?)

Pretty much peel off the metal once the welds are drilled. Depending on how carefully you drill you will either need to use a screwdriver to lever it off, or use a dremel to get that last little bit that is hard to get at.

I used a chisel several times, BE CAREFUL if you do or you'll knock a hole very easily, this stuff is pretty thin.
However, if you drilled it "perfectly" you can literally just pull it off and it comes off super easy, got the hang of it by the time I was on the second piece.

I'll paint it up tomorrow. Didn't bother to add up how much weight actually came off, but its quite a bit. Putting me estimation hat on, 10 pounds counting the deadening tar?

Anyhow, now I wont be annoyed by that tar oozing through around the edges making fun at me when I'm making use of the suspiciously large amount of room in the back. (boom06)
Cheers!

Um, is their any rational explanation to automotive obsession? I know that my hobby defies all reason.

Back