Project: "Last RX-7" by Herblenny

oct 4th, 2012

their gt-k 1050!!!!

photo14.jpg

woah!

I'm currently putting the car together for SEMA and I can't upload all the stuff that's going on..

I'll make this short and share 2-3 pics.. including the render done by amazing artist and designer, Greg Thompson. He did an amazing job rendering the car with few pics I sent him and list of goodies I was going to put on. Just amazing work!! Since its so close to SEMA, I'll share the render to give you guys an idea what it will look like (exterior).

PHILSOHN_fd3sDBA-1.jpg

Hint of couple of parts..

RX7_SEMA_2012_1.jpg

Goolsby_RX7_2.jpg

I'll update the full car on my way to SEMA..

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier, but what v-mount setup are you running and are you relocating the A/C or taking it out entirely?

Now that it's really coming together...I'm really diggin' the color combo combined with the matte surfaces and freshly fabbed parts...More shots of the engine bay por favor!

Great concept rendering as well...It would be very cool to see one done with your Cosmo!

Love it! Can't wait to see it in person!!!

Awesome! Let me know when you might be coming by. Send me a PM as I'll be walking around.. Its at the North Lobby.

If I win the lottery, I will pay you too much money for this car, or to build an identical twin

LOL! Let me know when you win the lottery :) Building an identical one will be a tough task.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier, but what v-mount setup are you running and are you relocating the A/C or taking it out entirely?

V mount is custom set up by my friend Walker Morgan from MPFab.com. He's an amazing fabricator and I am super happy with his work. AC has been taken out.

Now that it's really coming together...I'm really diggin' the color combo combined with the matte surfaces and freshly fabbed parts...More shots of the engine bay por favor!

Great concept rendering as well...It would be very cool to see one done with your Cosmo!

Thanks Antoine! Hopefully next couple of years I'll re-do the Cosmo.

Here are some updated pics as I get ready for SEMA Las Vegas.

FEED_Fender_RX7.jpg

150574_10151126962533927_1385569030_n.jpg

26648_10151126022208927_1006286080_n.jpg

More pics coming once the car is set up at SEMA.... I just unloaded yesterday..

Last edited:
I wish I could go to SEMA. You better bring back a bunch of pics! It looks amazing, I can't wait to see the full body.

So Phil, You've built FD's before. How hard are some of these parts to find? Do the prices skyrocket? Is there still a great market for FD's or are the pickin's slim like with Protege's?

So Phil, You've built FD's before. How hard are some of these parts to find? Do the prices skyrocket? Is there still a great market for FD's or are the pickin's slim like with Protege's?

Well seeing how Phil here has some one of a kind digital dash, I'm sure some of the parts are just plain not available lol.

And that little front clip sneak peak is SUCH a tease! >:[

So...it appears that Mazda is closing the books on the RX-8 by making 1,000 RX-8 Spirit R's

Also, Mazda plans to redesign and re-release the FD in 2017 with improvements. The car should be lighter (weight should be similar to an AE86) and they are looking at started with an N/A 300HP motor, possibly leaning towards turbo models later. The redesigned FD will most likely use the 16x Rotary engine unveiled in 2007.

Key among Yamamoto's powertrain requirements was throttle responsiveness and linearity of power delivery.
He told TMR that the stepped power delivery of the FD RX-7's sequential twin-turbochargers was not ideal for a sports car and that a larger single turbocharger would result in too much throttle lag. Therefore, a naturally-aspirated rotary is the best solution.
But while 220kW might sound low compared to many other modern sports cars, Yamamoto says that the new RX-7 will be light enough to make the most of its power.
While he was coy about the RX-7's target weight, he said it "would definitely be lighter" than the 1310kg FD RX-7, and "probably around the weight of the Toyota 86" (1250kg).

Yamamoto says that the RX-7 will be a premium product, and will likely wear a pricetag that's higher than cars like the 370Z.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/55336/mazda-rx-7-returning-in-2017-yamamoto

Last edited:
I am glad that I was able to see this car in person. I wish I was able to meet up with Phil, but I was only there for 1 day so I had to make sure to get everything done. I did stare at it for a good 10 mins. If it wasnt for my friends I probably would have stayed before getting kicked out at 5pm. lol

IMG_6378.jpg

IMG_6377.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back