Problems: Turbo kit& MPI Piggyback

Well Everyone I installed the MPI Tuner and my cars still have the same problems. I would start the damn thing and it bucks and shakes and idles rough if it idles at all....I have been at it for hours and have come up with a map that would actually keep the car from stalling. But it reminds me of my old rx7 that was choking and I'm funked with the scent of gas??????????

Do I need a FPR? I thought the MPI eliminated the need for 1???? The car actually feels like it has a Clog Catalytic Converter...

Is there things that I might have overlooked that would be causing it to run like this??????

Jeremy

Take off your engine cover and look at the coil packs. Take notice of any blisters at all.

Actually, I just rembered there is no cover on the P5... so just examine the coil packs.(silly)

If your car does not stays on for more than 5 seconds when cold idle, its probably your O2 sensor...I bet 10 to 1 it is that.
If not....a big leak.

Yeah, do like 505 said, and let us know about your coil packs 1st. I had this issue, and it turned out I had fried a coil pack.

Aren't we past the point of frying coils yet? I know I went through my fair share, but we have a solution.

Seems to be that you either lost spark (as already suggested), or your fuel is way off. Do you have a wideband or anything to help with tuning. You could just be real lean at idle. My car behaved like that when I was too lean at idle. I know others have said their car likes to idle lean, but mine likes it better to idle rich.

Coils should be ok...just disconect one harness while the car is on...you will notice a missfire.

If after a few minutes, (car hot) IDLE is ok...then is you O2 open circuit or something related to it.

Ig,

Are you saying that he should disconnect the 1st O2 sensor plug, and wait for the idle to get steady? If that happens, would that be the 2nd O2 taking over?

LinuxRacr said:
Ig,

Are you saying that he should disconnect the 1st O2 sensor plug, and wait for the idle to get steady? If that happens, would that be the 2nd O2 taking over?
No, I was telling him to disconect the Coils to test them, or disconect the wire that goes to the plugs (only 2 available to reach easy, 1 and 4)

Was I was trying to say is...when the car behaves like that (during cold IDLE engine will stall in a matter of seconds, restart and same and when engine gets hot IDLE will be ok) ITS A LEAK or THE 1st O2 Sensor has an open circuit or bad 1st O2 sensor.

Disconect the O2 sensor and if its the problem, in cold idle the car should behave the same, it will stall in a matter of seconds, then when hot, it will IDLE fine.

You should also check the MPI tunner, thats how I knew my O2 sensor was bad, while driving around, the graph that indicates A/F was steady 14.7 ALL THE TIME.

This is interesting, because this was happening to me a week ago, then after uploading my last map, the car was ok. Looks like the previous map was a bit corrupted or some value entered wrong or the sensors where bad after my blown engine (water and oil everywhere) and even the clutch was bad. Thank GOD the turbo was fine and the car as of today is going good and the clutch is clamping again after 3 weeks of tunning.

Last edited:
O.k Guys......

Linux: I think it might be my coil( It has a crack and it looked like it was getting hot by the bubbling plastic)...but what would cause it to do that.....I rechecked all my connections and came up with 1 problem that might have caused that.....#19 on the install of the MPI says to use the red turbo module wire with the red/white wire..I used this wire correctly..I found it where Chas said he did his....but at the end of the instructions it says This is the only 12 volt key on source that you can use for the BLUE????wire in the turbo module. IS this where I messed up????I only have the red wire connected.

IGDRASIL: I couldnt open the files that you sent me....I copied it to a cd and then tryed to install it to my laptop but it didnt work...also I have an extra O2 sensor that I will be using it this one I know is good. I just ahve to extend the wires and run it away from the turbo again..

Beavis: I will be checking the spark plugs...also what # plugs are you guys running??? I also have a AEM UEGO Wideband...I have to get the bung in the exhaust to run the wideband.. I actually had to add a 10 on the maps all the way around to get the car to idle. but the A/f said itwas running 14.7 constantly like Igdrasil said..

ITS BECAUSE OF YOU GUYS THAT I GOT THIS MPI TUNER>>>> Tons of KNowledge and there is no other piggyback out there that has members sharing there experiences so that other dont BLOW something up...hahahah

Once again thanks

Jeremy

Last edited:
Could be that they cant be read-only files? I dont know...I will take snapshots of my screens.

About the coils....I think your wiring is a bit wrong, maybe you tapped the wrong red/white wire.

People...a bit off topic, I have a question.

Do any of you have ever experienced that when cranking the engine, the starter turns normal, but the engine in one of those cranks it tries to turn counter wise AND THEN it turns normal and starts?

The blue from the Turbo Module goes to the fuel pump wire (red w/ white) under the console.

The red Turbo Module wire goes to pin 80.

That will keep you from frying coils while the key is on but engine not running. post a screen shot of your map.

Dude be care fuly you didn't tap the white wire w/ red tracer..it's easily confused..

YOU NEED THE RED WIRE WITH WHITE TRACER!

Chas

supa saiyan pr5 said:
...I think it might be my coil( It has a crack and it looked like it was getting hot by the bubbling plastic)...

Bingo! Coil fried. Replace that coil and your car will run fine. If it is blistered at all, and cracked, it is more than likely a goner.

BTW, if you have a newer version of the Turbo Module, you won't have a blue wire coming out of it. I will be connected internally.

Bigg tim & Linux: I dont have a blue wire coming from the Turbo Module????Its a red wire...
Acidbg: I know the two wires are side by side but I tapped into the red/white one...

I wonder how much a new coil is???anyone know...The Mazda dealer locally are fart heads.

Can it have happened before I even installed the MPI Tuner??? Im sure it was acting like that just before I installed the Unit...

Jeremy

Back