Premium gas

if that is an issue then do not buy a mazdaspeed

you cannot run a mazdaspeed with anything less than 91

haha V4 engine. Never heard of one. V is the shape of the engine. There is also H and L.
There is:
3 cylinders
Inline-3 or Straight-3 (L)

4 cylinders
Inline-4
Flat-4 or Horizontally Opposed-4 (H)
***v4***
5 cylinders
Inline-5

6 cylinders
V6
Inline-6
Flat-6

8 cylinders
V8
Inline-8
Flat-8

10 cylinders
V10

12 cylinders
V12

16 cylinders
W12
W16

there are v4s

If that's your situation I would not get one. They actaully cost a pretty penny to maintain, between the synthetic oil, premium gas, and random stuff that Mazda failed to properly design right.

I am not cheap, i am poor.
If I get a Mazdaspeed, i will barely afford the car.
I would probably have about $50 after the monthly payment and insurance and I drive 210 miles per week so premium gas is an issue.

I have seen 96 in Philly at Sunoco.

And Premium gas is 50 cents more expensive than regular and 20 more than mid grade.

Race gas is around 5 @ gallon in central ohio. Well.. More north a little in the bellville/mansfield area. Used to be 4.25 back when I raced dirtbikes! Lol

I know its expensive to maintain. I currently have an older Protege. But the msp is one of my favorite cars. And I have been waiting 4 years to get a nicer, newer car and build up my credit. And it has to be a foreign turbocharged car. GTI is more expensive to maintain and does not handle as well as msp so I went with msp as my choice.

Subaru cars are mostly V-4's. My buddy has a 08 STI and its got one in it. I think even the outbacks have it. I dont personally like the idea of a V-4 but if you are running AWD i guess its a must...

damn wish we had V4s lol but oh well, ive heard that they are more of a pain to deal with... but the more torque is worth it id think

yea lol, the subie motor is definately not a v4, it is a flat-4 or 'boxer' engine

the best to describe it would be an H-4...but not sure if thats what they actually call it or not lol

Subaru cars are mostly V-4's. My buddy has a 08 STI and its got one in it. I think even the outbacks have it. I dont personally like the idea of a V-4 but if you are running AWD i guess its a must...

Subaru uses Flat-4 engines or Horizontally opposed, which is the same type of engine that Porsche uses. Porsche uses Flat-6 engines in the 911 and Boxster and Cayman.
They are not V4 engines.
Flat engines are also known as Boxer engines.

IC motors come in all shapes and configurations. There are: horizontally opposed, V, Inline, Rotary, Radial, Gas Turbine, H, W, F,Y, and I types (amongst even more obscure others). These motors come in everything from 1 to over twenty cylinders, or in some cases none at all. Most of the time when a letter is used to designate a configuration it is referring to the layout of the cylinders in relation to the crank case, but in many older motors it is referring to the layout of the valves. Im not even going to get started on cycles, and strokes.

Gas is gas, the Octane level in gas is best thought of as a representation of knock resistance, running lower than recommended will result in the computer trying to compensate, and eventually knock (and sooner or later a popped motor, especially in a Protege). Meanwhile using to highly rated octane gas in your car without the proper tune will result in your car barely able to maintain an idle, if it can run at all.

Oh and by the way If you can barely afford to put gas in the car than wait till
things start to break. This car will break you.

Last edited:
haha, nah i noticed that a lot of the threads have died somewhat, everyone has gone into hibernation lol

-but great info btw lol, i guess no one had anything to add to it

yea the msp section has been really slow, now I dont what to do while im supposed to be working.

haha, same here, i keep checking when im suppose to be doing my homework and projects.... but nothing new, and yet i still check haha

You definitely want to run premium fuel for it burns slower than lower octane fuels. Our cars run rich as it is.

Back