Premature rotor wear

150by70

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6
Okay, I get the idea that this is a performance machine, but that doesn't need to mean that the parts are short-lived. I've been the only owner of my 2006 MazdaSpeed, and besides an occasional run into the triple digits there's been no excitement in the cars life. I don't abuse the brakes, and in fact most of the time I try to take it easy on them, slowing down well before corners, lights, etc. So I start to get this left front wheel wobble after I put my summer wheels on, take it to my tire place and run it through the balance machine X 2 because the first time wasn't the cure. Still there a bit after the second so I take it to the dealer because I'd just had the left front bearing replaced under warranty not too long before and I thought that might be the problem. I'm told that the rotor is badly warped and needs replacing (can't turn it because it's ventilated and there's not enough metal there) and so is the right(eyeballs)(eyeballs)(eyeballs) front. In addition, both rears are on their way, too. My question: the car only has 40,000 miles on it, and why the heck should all 4 rotors need replacing at this low mileage????? Anybody else had this problem?

I understand where you are coming from. Man I've had my car since 2006 and since then I've put 2 sets of tires on the b**** ( I need another set now). I replaced my front rotors with powerslots and greenstuff brake pads. I extended my warranty at my dealearship before 36000 miles, so I go to the dealer alot. After 6 years with the car (it just broke 50k miles last month) the techs constantly tell me shyt is wrong. I need new rotors also and it's only been 1.5 years since I got them. The funny thing is they are probably right, but I have never had to replace the original rotors in the back!!! So, I've went through 2 sets of rotors in front, but the rears are "fine"?!!! WTF!!! I don't know who to believe any more, but it's worth it if my baby drives straight and true after all this damn service!
Also from what I've heard these cars chew threw tires like nobody's business! If I knew I would've been buying so many tires, I might have splurged for that used NSX I've always wanted! LOL.

i'd say that's normal for that car. i replaced my front pads and rotors sometime between 45-50k, and im certainly not hard on them nor am i a trackstar. i was also hoping to replace my tires (would be third set including the factory ones) before this winter

i use a lot of downshifting for engine braking. aside from not being heavy on the brakes there is nothing you can do about it if you go with stock pads. they are performance oriented and thus softer than average

Back