Power Steering Pump/Lines

SteelWarrior

:
03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey hey. so im making good progress bringing my speed back up to top shape and ive hit a bit of a snag. originally i noticed i was leaking power steering fluid but due to funds i couldnt get it looked at nor would i have the funds to fix the problem anyhow, because of that i believe the pump has died on me. Originally i believe it was a leak in the lines as there was residue in the engine bay in the right spots (confirmed by a mechanic friend).

So a few questions and i searched for the answers but couldnt find any real hits.

1. Is our power steering pump/hoses/clamps/etc the same as any other 3rd gen protege? like could i go to a wrecker and just pull the whole unit and swap it over.

2. Is there a how-to-guide on here anywhere that i dont know about? or even a generic how to for a car with a similar pump system or any inside information from someone whos replaced the whole unit.

I thought that I would bump up your thread as I have a related question. I agree that there is not information out there regarding the power steering system.

I would think that the power steering lines in a Protege, MP3 or P5 would be the same, but that is my guess.

Does anyone know what size the power steering fluid lines are? (i.e. what fittings would fit into them?) Particularly the ones that connect into the dinky cooler piping that runs in front of the radiator.

Bumping this up!

SteelWarrior, seeing as your power steering system is not functioning at the moment is there any chance that you would be able to pop a line off and measure it up for me?

Otherwise, if anyone else has any info please post it up here. Cheers.

Back