Power Hesitation when shifting into 3rd?

RichB

:
2007 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed 3 GT
When I am quickly shifting through the first three gears, I notice that sometimes I get a hesitation in third gear. When I shift into third release the clutch then press the gas, it takes almost a second for the power to kick in. This doesn't happen in any of the later gears. Has Anyone else experienced this?

The drive by wire system takes some getting used to. Keep the hammer down past halfway between shifts to maintain boost.

If you lift too much inbetween shifts, the MS3's computers go into economy mode and turns on the vacuum. You don't need to necessarily flat foot it like they do in the magazines, but keep on fairly hard and the car will be ready to scoot.

The MS3 needs less computers if you ask me.

The drive by wire system takes some getting used to. Keep the hammer down past halfway between shifts to maintain boost.

If you lift too much inbetween shifts, the MS3's computers go into economy mode and turns on the vacuum. You don't need to necessarily flat foot it like they do in the magazines, but keep on fairly hard and the car will be ready to scoot.

The MS3 needs less computers if you ask me.

Agree with Luke and REALLY agree with your last sentence, too much electronic assistance

Thanks! Yeah I could do without all the nannies. They are bypassable, but I want to retain my warranty.

I'm suprised the OP didn't notice the boost cutout in the higher gears though...lifting through fourth and fifth causes the same delay in boost power for me.

Has anyone noticed any problems getting into 3rd gear when shifting really fast? I've driven manuals my whole life and have never had problems, like I do with this car, when trying to shift into 3rd during a race. I've noticed it get a little better when I installed the polyeurathane rear motor mount, which leads me to wonder if it has to do with the motor and trans shifting when you come out of second gear. I'd like to know if anyone else is having any problems with this or if it is just me.

Everyone is having that little problem when shifting fast into third and it kind of gets caught up before engaging... I have had the 88 duro AWR, and that didn't fix the problem. To be honest I don't think its a problem to begin with. I thinkgs its just our touchy clutches. I have grown accustomed to it, and now when shifting fast or normal I just make sure to guide the stick a little more than letting the stick guide itself into third as you, me and most of us have grown accustomed to over the years drving stick cars. So far it has worked for but now and then I do get hung up.

I have the 88 duro AWR as well and also have the TWM shifter w/bushings and that 3rd gear speed shift problem has all but gone away completely. It is nothing like it was. Only once in a blue moon do I have the problem and that is usually when I am not paying close enough attention.

I make sure to bounce the clutch off the footwell in a quick third gear shift. Getting it all the way down seems to help the syncros do their job.

Also, I go over and up a little bit more than on other manual cars, mostly an open palm and the stick does the rest, but it goes into third real easy as long as I dont try to force it.

In my minds eye, the shift patter seems like this

r 1___3 5

2 4 6

I've seem my father go from four to three enough times to know that third is defintely over to the right more than other manual cars, and that fifth is WAAAAY over and you really have to be deliberate to get to fifth. The line is a giant stopping barrier that I've seen him hit, too. I've touched it a couple times when not using the open palm shift to third.

Bouncing the pedal off the floor (depressing fully but quickly) seems to help smooth out all shifts.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm really glad a lot of other people are having this problem as well. I was beginning to doubt my quick shift abilities. I'll be sure to purposefully move the shifter over first and then put it in 3rd and let you guys know if I notice any improvements. I truly am suprised at how quick people reply on here as compared to other car forums.

I'll be sure to purposefully move the shifter over first and then put it in 3rd and let you guys know if I notice any improvements.

That is the last thing you want to do.
When shifting to third, use an open palm, let the spring do the finding, it works everytime.

The only times I miss third is when I grip the shifter and try to "purposefully move the shifter"
Third is not where you expect it to be.
Third is where the spring expects it to be.
Dont grip, use the spring, and all is good.

tbh i believe since mazda has a reputation to have a bad 3rd gear in teh protege , they must have increased the strength in teh syncro for the 3 , it was also noted that in 04 mazda decided to redo it for more reliability , why do you think new mazdas dont give out more then there older counterparts

I don't know. Open palm sounds kind of iffy to me. I would be afraid of it going into first if I didn't have full control of the shift knob. I'll try it a few times at lower speeds. That way if it did happen, it would grenade my motor due to over revving.

I dont think it will let you go into first unless you REALLY try, judging by the iron gate to the left of third...however, if it helps, my second-to-third stroke is angled slight to the right in open palm. not straight up | but slightly at an angle / (exaggerated) and its usually one unpaused stroke, sucks itself right into the gear.

I usually pass the third gear spring just as my foot bounces off the firewall, so I have maximum clutch depression and maximum syncro juice at the point of engagement in third. If you leave the throttle dipped a bit in, the motor revs will be just a bit higher, and the car's BEEFY clutch will grab quickly and the car will just keep accelerating.

It takes some practive, but after a few thousand k of 2-to-3 stroke snap shifts pull off wonderfully, just a constant torque stream.

Dont lift off completely on the throttle though....negative engine torque will cause some bucking.

After getting used to doing it this way, my old civic's clutch seems broken and I can barely drive that car anymore.

I've got third down pretty good but my second gear shift is still hit and miss. Sometimes its smooth torque transition sometimes I give it too much and the car lurches.. Bit off topic, sorry, I just kept typing.

Open palm works great! And yeah, I did give it a slight angle just on instinct. Now I gotta practice before me and some buddies go out to Ennis next weekend. Woohoo! First time I get to race a 1/4 mile. I'm so sick and tired of 1/8th miles :(

Just learn to drive the MS3.. KEEP YOUR BOOST UP.. No problems here(dunno)(dunno)

Last edited:
Removing the shifter mass helps with the 2-3 shift. The linkage has to lift the mass to move to the 3-4 gate. Try it, its easily removed or replaced.

Removing the shifter mass and installing MT-90 FTW!
-enganear

Removing the shifter mass helps with the 2-3 shift. The linkage has to lift the mass to move to the 3-4 gate. Try it, its easily removed or replaced.

Removing the shifter mass and installing MT-90 FTW!
-enganear

Finally took the weight off the shifter linkage at the trans last weekend. Personally I like it, not a huge difference, but as eng said it helps with the 2-3 shift and haven't missed that gear change since, that alone is worth it to me

Back