Potential MS6 Owner needing some advice coming from a S60R

zigger

Hi guys.. I lurked around looking for a good mazda forum and this site seems pretty cool. I had a very unfortunate thing happen to me my 2006 Volvo S60R was stolen this weekend and found burnt anyways.. I loved that car so much It was chiped with a downpipe /exhaust and intake dynod 294 whp anyways.. I have I beleive 30 days until the insurance comp settles and I have been looking for a replacment car. I am spoiled with AWD I had a Sti b4 my R I am having a 2cnd child so I thought I wanted to spend less money but wanted something quick with tuning potential and awd. I went to see a mazdaspeed we worked some numbers out I like that so far. Th dealer here in Canad WILL NOT alow a test drive on a Mazdaspeed product not a 6 or 3??? I think that's total BS they said if I dont like the car the day I pick it up I can walk away from the deal after driving it. I dont know how comfortable I am with buying without freekin test driving it? it's not a porsche for s*** sakes.. anyways so I think I like a black one.. It needs a drop can some of u please just give me some feedback on this car. Is the motor reliable? I heard the Ecu had some issues but not for a 2007 is it really as fast as they say? I dunno.. what are the best mods for this car were can I get spring for this car and which are the best do they blow out the stock struts?
Thanks again,, and I look forward to growing with thos forum if I decide to get the car. I just need to be sold on it from people who have it since I can't drive it before pucrhase

Lol...

It's rdidculous..I know. They said that they are limited in production and that they just can't let people drive it. They said it's Mazda Canadas policy the guys even told me that he lost 1 or 2 sales because of this issue.. anyways what can u guys tell me about this car? I have been soaking all the info I have been reading so far. Why is there no Ecu upgrade/chip for this car ? Or is there? It's turbo charged they must have one? Can u luanch the car like a Sti/Evo? Can the tranny take it sorry guys I know these must be some really dumb questions for some people but I know nothing about Mazdas no offense to anyone but I never thought I would ever consider one in my life until now..
Thanks

zigger said:
French..wow Your so nice..

No, if it's your second language then that's fine.

Anyways, what the dealer is telling you is total BS. I test drove an MS6 no problem and I am 22 year old punk wearing a baseball cap.

I test drove two before buying mine.

total BS. Don't buy from them. Take this as a sign of future experience with this dealer....move on.

Newf said:
I test drove two before buying mine.

total BS. Don't buy from them. Take this as a sign of future experience with this dealer....move on.

agreed.... I drove a MS6 and a MS3 at two dealership before buying. One of them the dealer let me, my father and my sister fiance take the MS6 without him. Its BS, I'd go elsewhere. Oh yeah and in my opinion they are not limit production. The dealer near me has at least 4 or 5 on the lot right now and has for the last 3-4 months. There are plenty of them out there.

I had a similar experiance trying to test drive an STi when I was looking. They wanted a $500.00 deposit just to test drive. I drove to another dealer and was able to test drive with no questions asked. I wouldn't buy or even talk numbers unless you can drive first.

The dealer is BSing... test drives are at the discretion of the dealership so they can technically say no, but thats bad practice IMHO.

the MS6 and MS3 are limited, but the MS6s arent selling so well (which is why you still saw 4-5 on that one lot for the last few months)

Motor is strong, factory forged, set @ 15.6 psi boost. There are piggy back ECUs (Mazda ECUs dont take well to chips) out for the vehicle. As for the trannies I wont speak for that of which I dont know...

Find another dealership and testdrive the thing, and try to work with them... That would be my advice.

Welcome to the forum first off. Also just go to a different dealer and ask to test drive one and if they say no then you may just want to take a drive to the states and drive one here.

Zigger,

It is BS that they won't let you test drive it but, besides that point, to answer your questions: If you do test drive it, you most likely will love it, at least that's what happened to me. I wasn't even looking to buy a car until sometime this summer but I wanted to start looking around for one and do research. I started in the beginning of November '06 and was DEAD SET on a Subaru legacy GT or WRX, STI. When I went to the Subaru dealer here, they pulled the same BS as yours did about me driving the STI. He tells me it was the only one on the lot and when someone wants to buy it they want low mileage! I told the guy, "I might buy it" but he still wouldn't let me. That, right there, put a bad taste in my mouth. Anyway, I ended up test driving a 2007 legacy GT fully loaded and I have to tell you I HATED the car!! It felt cramped, had a massive case of turbo lag, the radio didn't even work and the check engine light was on!! Nice test car! The fit and finish was sub-par and I really felt like I was taking a step down from my 1998 Dodge Durango!!
After this I was very dissapointed and thought I would just keep my dodge for another year or two. On my way home I just happened to be driving by a Mazda dealership and stopped in. I told them the story I just experienced at the Subaru dealership and the salesman came with me to test drive the speed6. The second I sat in this car I said "now that's what I'm talking about"...this is what I had imagined the Subaru would feel like. The salesman gave me a few tips (I hadn't owned a stick since High School and I'm 36). We brought it out on the highway and he tells me "get on it!". When entering the on ramp and shifting between the gears, especially when you it 6th, I was sold then and there. To make a very long story just long, I came back the following morning and bought it. Bottom line, you test drive this car, you will buy it. Plus it is a lot cheaper then the Subaru, at least in my area of the northeast.
I agree with others, blow the dealership off that wouldn't let you test it and go elsewhere.
BTW, you can find many mods on this car by just looking through these forums...the people here are very knowledgable and friendly (barring a few). Good luck and I hope you join the family soon!

First off, make sure there aren't any 2006's left in your area. Dealers still have them near me and you can get them below invoice in addition to almost 5K in Mazda incentives.

Second, demand a test drive or tell them you will buy the car elsewhere. Tell them you are paying cash or whatever they want to here. Most likely that have at least one demo (managers like to drive these cars) on the lot and they are holding out on you. Tell them "limited production my ass...you're gonna limit your sales if you don't let me drive it". Make sure when you go in you are ready to buy and have a price in mind. Just tell them 500-1000 under your price and walk out if they don't meet your original price.

just to answer your question for what are the best mods... the piggyback ecu from xede looks like it will be great! CP-E is working on a turbo upgrade if you wanna go that big, and they have a downpipe that is supposed to add alot of power. But if you want to keep it warranty friendly mazdaspeed makes an intake for it. Aftermarket support is a little slim right now, with only a handful of companies putting out products for it, but its growing, especially with the popularity of the speed 3. But I would guess it was a similar scenario for the Volvo.

TX Speed 6 said:
just to answer your question for what are the best mods... the piggyback ecu from xede looks like it will be great! CP-E is working on a turbo upgrade if you wanna go that big, and they have a downpipe that is supposed to add alot of power. But if you want to keep it warranty friendly mazdaspeed makes an intake for it. Aftermarket support is a little slim right now, with only a handful of companies putting out products for it, but its growing, especially with the popularity of the speed 3. But I would guess it was a similar scenario for the Volvo.

Yes I agree with this. Our little brother will help in the aftermarket part area. but don't forget that CP-E and Cobb are both working on ECU upgrades....sooner(CP-E) or later(Cobb). ATP also has a turbo upgrade and there are a few companies that make rear engine mounts. You can also get a TWM Short throw shifter....I know I'm missing a few parts but the market is there it just isn't as huge as it is for the subies.

Glad to see your interested in a MS6 and that you didnt take any crap from the dealer.

Much like many of the members on here stated, just go to another dealer. I went through the same crap when I was originally looked at a Mazdaspeed 3. I eventually got a test drive after I confirmed I could test drive over the phone.

Calling around may be your best bet so you dont waste time.

Overall, I am impressed with the car. Performance wise its good. It still has some body roll around turns, but nothing that cant be fixed with springs.

Acceleration and Speed wise its definately quick for the size of the car. Its not what I could consider break your neck fast like a corvette. But if you get the RPM's right and shift properly it will peg you in your seat.

Interior and general other features are excellent. It really is a great car.

I also agree, see if you can find an 06 Speed6, You will save TONS.

up here in Canada, when you buy a car from Mazda, you'll get a dealer survey sent to the house. one of the first few questions is, did the dealer allow a test drive.

There is also another question asking about other dealers, and if they let you test drive.

just something to ponder

Thanks to everyone and I drove one today!!

So I went to anther dealer (Mazda Of Toronto) very nice people there. They had a Demo ms6 2006 there and when I told them the other dealership din't let me drive it they said " what let's go for a drive" It was a metalic blueish colour 600 kmh on it. Honestly I really liked it..The sales lady was really cool with me and took me to her favourite road with alot of twisties it's still freezing here but dry so the 18" summers didn't really grip that much but I undterstand.. The shifter is sweet close ratio the clutch was weird she said that 06's some need to be adjusted but when they d o the adjustment they break? Whatver.. I dunno I will be getting a 2007 black with 2 tone black/white . The car hits 60 mph pretty quickly It seems fun I didn't want to go to crazy with it It needs a ECU XEDE sounds wicked 70 whp!! Is that out yet?
Anyways thanks again for the advice the other dealer called me 3 times today havent picked up

Don't worry about the clutch. It takes 10 minutes, a flashlight, and a 12mm open ended wrench to fix. Difference is like night and day.

Back