Possibly useful Cheap n Simple Sub idea...

GOATovMENDES

:
MSPIII-GT(07)
---I have the BOSE system and I wanted to get a monster sub in the car but found all the extra costs and hard work was too much to justify considering my tastes. An idea in my mind had me placing my 1000 watt Yamaha powered Servo home theater sub in the hatch. I bought a typical DC to AC inverter (AC DELCO $29) to plug the sub into for power and after tapping the white/blue & white/grey wires in the blue cable bundle under the driver's seat in my MS3, I ran a signal to the sub via DIY RCA cable. I plugged the inverter into the extra accessory outlet in the armrest. So far the advantages over a regular full blown amp/sub install is a self contained BeAsT with no need to run the usual amp/power cable and remote wire saving at least 3 hours taking the glove box out and the OEM HU. Since I already own the sub, I didn't need to buy a seperate amp and sub and box or make a permanent change to the car by drilling. When I want to invoke the BEAST, I push the power button on the DC/AC inverter to turn the amp on since I leave the sub main power on. The inverter fits wherever I want it. I can remove the entire setup in five minutes and the car remains unaltered and factory fresh; for all you Lease holders get the hint. Its a little hackish around the edges, but its cheap and easy for the rest of us consumers types. Hail![/COLOR][/FONT]

have fun replacing fuses and blowing the accessory circuit on your car... the electrical system wont be able to cope with the current draw of that sub over the long term.. or short term either...

there is a reason we run separate power lines to subs... the accessory circuit is 14 gauge AT BEST (likely 16)... so your sub is pulling all of it's power from a dinky little wire...

AS WELL, that sub is designed for a LARGE space (like in a room), it probably sounds boomy in your hatch...

Last edited:
The sub is tuned for a large space. It is not going to sound right in a car. Plus it must weigh about a ton. So much for your car's weight balance. Then there is the whole powering it issue that was already mentioned.

Back