Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify in your post)

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

amsgator

03.5 Protege5
:
Yellow '03 5-Speed MP5
Ok, I think I got attacked with the HID bug. I really want to get some because they are really bright and just look plain sweet. I am not sure which kit to get though. I think I am going to get them from Xenon Expert or RPM since the prices are the same (RPM is a nickel cheaper). Will be getting 8000K.

I think my first choice is the DDM kit simply because the ballasts are so small and I can put them in more places.

Second up is the Apexcone kit.

I would opt for the lifetime warranty on both the kits just in case which would make either kit $155.

Which do you think I should get? One last thing, does anyone know if the standard H3 bulbs fit in the fog light housings? I read somewhere that they are too long and we need H3C bulbs. Maybe it wasn't for a Mazda and just another car.

Is there anything I should know about installation etc before I purchase these? Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the abundance of questions

for the fogs, you NEED H3C bulbs - the H3 conversion bulbs are too big.

get the DDM if you can get H3C bulbs with it.

for the fogs, you NEED H3C bulbs - the H3 conversion bulbs are too big.

get the DDM if you can get H3C bulbs with it.

I am also looking for low beams. so DDM for that as well? i'll get 3000K for fogs and 8000K for low beams. i already have yellow bulbs for the fogs so i may just leave those if i cant get the H3C

good luck trying to find 3000k H3C's - i looked for quite some time, and ended up with 6000k's.

damn. then i'll just stick with my yellow halogen fogs. can't loose the yellow. i hope it doesnt look bad with HIDs in low beams and yellow halogen fogs.

Hi! I'm sure you will love hids. IMHO i wouldn't go anything beyond 6000k. More temps means you will move through the spectrum of color (in kelvins) but will loose illumination. A 6000k bulb will light up the road more than a 8000k bulb. The 8k will look more blueish.

Here's an image:

VisibleSpectrumKelvin.jpg

but undertand that is just to get an idea. How bulbs will look like depends on the brand, manufacturer and the use you have put on them. For example, you compare two bulbs, with the same temps, lets say 4300k, one is used and the other is brand new. You will notice the older bulb is whiter because it has "aged". This will not happen quickly. But right at 200hrs of use you can notice a difference. I know people with hids with a few years of use and they tell me the bulbs are white, although they're 4300k bulbs. And depends of brand etc...

Yellow fogs with hids are HOT. :) I have clear H3s for my fogs. Maybe will get some yellow rockblockers. Dunno difference between H3Cs, tho. I'm glad to help. Don't hesitate and ask.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm sure you will love hids. IMHO i wouldn't go anything beyond 6000k. More temps means you will move through the spectrum of color (in kelvins) but will loose illumination. A 6000k bulb will light up the road more than a 8000k bulb. The 8k will look more blueish.

Here's an image:

VisibleSpectrumKelvin.jpg

but undertand that is just to get an idea. How bulbs will look like depends on the brand, manufacturer and the use you have put on them. For example, you compare two bulbs, with the same temps, lets say 4300k, one is used and the other is brand new. You will notice the older bulb is whiter because it has "aged". This will not happen quickly. But right at 200hrs of use you can notice a difference. I know people with hids with a few years of use and they tell me the bulbs are white, although they're 4300k bulbs. And depends of brand etc...

Yellow fogs with hids are HOT. :) I have clear H3s for my fogs. Maybe will get some yellow rockblockers. Dunno difference between H3Cs, tho. I'm glad to help. Don't hesitate and ask.

I know the 8000K wont be quite as bright but I love the look of the blue color. It wont be THAT much of a difference anyway, only like 200 lumens I believe it is. i thought the H3 doesnt fit the housing? the H3C are mini bulbs. i cant find H3C in 3000K. i have yellow rockblockers w/ yellow bulbs right now. i am just afraid that the really bright white wont turn much yellow w/ the rockblocker.

but you are running regular H3 bulbs?

H3 HID Bulbs compared to H3 Halogen
h3.jpg

Last edited:
If you like how it looks with 8k, no problem with that. Can you find someone with those bulbs? Maybe someone here can tell you if they fit. I have regular H3 clear halogen bulbs. Or maybe a shop near you might help?

If you like how it looks with 8k, no problem with that. Can you find someone with those bulbs? Maybe someone here can tell you if they fit. I have regular H3 clear halogen bulbs. Or maybe a shop near you might help?

o i thought you meant regular HID bulbs. yea the H3C is HID only I believe. I have yellow halogen fogs and I think i am just going to stick with that because it seems impossible to find in 3000K

i have hids in my fogs, and they are H3C's, not H3's - the H3 hid conversion bulbs are too big. trust me, i did TONS of research before i purchased

but they dont have them in 3000K. so i guess i am gonna stick w/ my yellow halogens.

does anyone know of somebody being stopped for having HIDs installed? afterall they are illegal if not installed by the factory, especially since we have reflectors and not projectors... :(

I believe DDM and Apexcone use the same bulb, just a different ballast.

Any will do, really. Depends on how much you want to spend. Just remember that doing anything for the first time is an experiment, so don't take it too seriously.

should i go 6000K or 8000K. i used google images to look at them and i think i like the 8000K better. but i dont want to sacrifice too much light output

EDIT: i checked the lumens for the 8000K and 6000K and i think i am going to give in to the 6000K b/c the 8000K is only 80% as bright as the 6000K. so right now i am looking at 6000K ddm kit

Last edited:
When you get them installed align them lower than normal, that's what i heard most users do to help reduce glare. I guess it depends of the cop that sees you.

would they pull u just for that though? if so i'd tell them i didnt know and i'll fix it right away

Latest posts

Back