Possible Vcis/Vtcs issue?

...but you guys are positive its coming from the head?
I'm not, but that's usually the consensus as the sound seems louder up top. I can see how one loose lobe can have the same frequency as a rod knock at higher RPM, but the noise goes away under load which usually indicates a bottom-end problem. But OP has already replaced everything down there, so.. ?(scratch)

IM REALLY LEANING TOWARDS A BAD HEAD DUE TO worn cams AND JOURNALS from when the oil pump failed i assume it failed anyways cuz of the scoring on the cams i saw. sat im gonna replace my head and see what happens. its either that or maybe a vics issue since the vtcs has already been removed

Well i just got back from an all friggin day nightmare of going to junk yard pulling a head n going home n pulling my head n cams and swapping them out. and guess what?..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................The noise is Still ******* There Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. only good that came out of it was the fact that my old head was trashed anyways cuz everyHead journal and cam cap plus the cams were grooved so now the one in it is nice n smooth. So now i have no clue what the noise is it is really bugging me. Next attempt will be VICS delete and see if that works.

Hmm damn, well there goes that idea. I seem to recall someone having cracked piston skirts causing the noise, but you changed all that. How about the wrist pin area? That sucks if you have to tear your engine down again.

def not a broken skirt there is no abnormal noise down low not wrist pin either as sound is not as heavy as a wrist pin knock would sound. gonna buy a stethoscope tomorrow n see if i can find it that way. oh i also found my crank sensor had the black wire cut and not connected im assuming its a ground and the car still ran. i changed that too

OOPPS Well I listened to them again and I don't think it's quite apple and oranges, more like tangerines and oranges. I've never heard a sound like either one before,... maybe I'll plug my computer into my stereo and crank it,... I'll listen for that completeness you speak of.

well pcb after hearing his again n louder n also listening to his other vid they do sound similiar but his is not rod knock as i thought at first cuz it goes away n rod knock dont go away .

Spun bearing is self explanatory but what is rod knock anyway? How is it different than engine knock?
All my cars rusted to death but had great running engines.

spun bearing is the rod knock... that is when the rod bearing surface hits the crank cuz the bearing is either worn or spun. engine knocks can be a multitude of things the point is to narrow it down to main bearings , piston slap, rod bearings, crank walk or valvetrain noise

Last edited:
Well that would explain the "clicking" sound. Couldn't that bearing alternate between spinning on the crank to spinning on the rod ? causing intermittent clacking?

alternate? no once it spins it welds in place in other words the 2 bearings fuse together which was the case with my original crank thus damaging the bearing surface of the rod cap which is y i had to replace the rods too. also when u have the rod knock or main bearing knock the noise is also audible from underneath its a down low noise that radiates to the top. in my case my bottom end is normal quiet no knocks and i used a stethoscope and found the noise to be coming from the head. upon further research (I.E.Youtube) i have been made aware of another issue with these mazda engines not yet discussed. and since i still have my old head i will inspect it tomorrow for what i learned tonight.. Poss cracked valve spring retainers. and if i find evidence of that in my old head i will then tear into my engine again and inspect this head of the same issue

update: i have not had a chance to check the retainers yet but i drove the car to a friends house today he is an older man who used to build race engines back in the day V8 chevys ... anyways i wanted him to hear the noise and when he did he immediately said valve float. he said the valves are floating due to weak springs. has ANYONE ever had an issue with weak valve springs or cracked valve spring retainers or keepers on this engine? if so what were the symptoms? anything like i have?

Update: so i went to check the old head to see if any retainers were cracked and none were and the springs felt stiff to the hand but as u know we cant push them like the cam does. So after that i could not do much more cuz i had a wedding to go to today so went home cleaned up got dressed in my wedding clothes n headed towards the location to pick up my daughter and boom my engine siezed... WTF????? i do not have a clue as to who what when where or why da fuk but it siezed. so we will find out what has been the culprit all this time when i go to do the tear down Again.

The engine just locked completely you can smell the clutch burning from all the times I was tried to pop it while coasting

^Man, that's too bad. I remember when you just got the car and joined this site on Feb. 4.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123826069-Hi-all-new-member-here

I sure hope you can get the thing running and don't just take a sledge hammer to it.
Good luck on your next tear down. I am curious as to what you find inside there.
Too bad you don't live in Ontario,... there is plenty of P5's that are rusted out but with plenty of life left in the engine.
You would have had a lot of choices up here for that $1500 you spent. (rusty choices mind you)

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/f-cars-veh...002QQCatIdZ174QQSortZ3QQisProvinceSearchZtrue

OR: http://ontario.kijiji.ca/

Last edited:
Back