POLL: Are you happy with the factory installed TomTom Navigation Unit?

POLL: Are you happy with the factory installed TomTom Navigation Unit?

• Total voters
Simply choose Yes for you are happy or No for you are not happy.

Yes I am, but with the reservation that it is more a question of it being better than nothing.

Having updated everything this past weekend, I today made my first tries to use voice to "Drive To Address". The first instance required two attempts; yielding a list of wrong destinations on the first, and repeating back the correct address on the second followed by supplying me with a good route. On the second instance, after six attempts (all of which understood the destination city as "Oshawa" rather than the correct "Ottawa") I gave up and keyed in the address. A system this hit or miss borders on the abyss of useless. It is my hope that this represents the current state of the industry rather than Mazda's choice to opt for an inferior product.

Brian

unfortunately your latter statement is the truth of the matter

try using google navs voice input, it is an order of magnitude better
my evo4g that i got two years ago understood spoken address' and poi searches better out of the box than this 'new' nav system after several updates

Yes I am, but with the reservation that it is more a question of it being better than nothing.

Having updated everything this past weekend, I today made my first tries to use voice to "Drive To Address". The first instance required two attempts; yielding a list of wrong destinations on the first, and repeating back the correct address on the second followed by supplying me with a good route. On the second instance, after six attempts (all of which understood the destination city as "Oshawa" rather than the correct "Ottawa") I gave up and keyed in the address. A system this hit or miss borders on the abyss of useless. It is my hope that this represents the current state of the industry rather than Mazda's choice to opt for an inferior product.

Brian

I have been using a Nissan factory satnav since 2009.

The voice recognition can be used, but with in limits as it often cocks up.

But i regularly use it to get to two destinations, an example.

Press appropriate button on steering wheel, four options come on screen, i then say address book (alternative is to say one).

This then brings up the address book list, a request is then made for you to select a number or destination, i always say "lockwood", as that is what i have programed in verbally.

This then sets the route to my home address.

So these system do work, but with limitations, if you don't expect 100% success then you won't be disappointed.

But I've got to say i think the TT sat nav is really poor, here in the UK it costs 600!!.

while if you google you can find TT with a slightly smaller 5" screen for around 100!!.

I've used the CX5 TT for a 30mile test drive to my home and back to the garage, its the only thing that really disappoints on the car, and i have been using built in satnav now since 2004, and also can compare it to my 1390T Garmin, which i also find poor as a satnav, but as i bought it for cycling and walking it serves its purpose.

I liked the TomTom in my 2013. Evendently Mazda did not because it is not being used in the 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps a more sinister motive by Mazda?

I liked the TomTom in my 2013. Evendently Mazda did not because it is not being used in the 2016.

Mazda "put up" with the TomTom system for at least 3 model years (13-15), so I would bet that they now use a Navteq map based system (anyone know who actually makes it?... betcha it is NOT GARMIN!) I would bet that they changed due to price considerations!

Anyway, now that the BT has been "fixed", I find the TomTom system in my 2015 satisfactory...(Being that it has not led me off a mountain yet...LOL) From what I have been reading in this forum, there have been issues with the new system, but given some time, the bigger screen and better UI is advantageous!

ugh why didn't they just use android auto instead of going with another crappy vendor?

haven't these manufacturers learned yet? they're all supposedly on board with anodroid auto and crapple carplay

ugh why didn't they just use android auto instead of going with another crappy vendor?

haven't these manufacturers learned yet? they're all supposedly on board with anodroid auto and crapple carplay

It probably takes a while for them to make sure everything is properly integrated with their systems? I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket head unit with Android Auto, but it's not a simple plug and play operation. The mic, backup camera, and steering wheel functions seem to be hard to get right, and I would end up losing access to many adjustable vehicle functions. Mazda is hopefully taking their time to make sure everything is in proper working order before releasing it. There's no excuse for them not to get this right the first time around.

Also, because all their vehicles are configured similarly in terms of the head unit functions, they might be trying to get as much use out of the current system as possible, which made it to a few of their other vehicles before coming to the CX-5 and Mazda6 for the 2016 model year.

I have a Garmin Nuvi and two navigation Apps on my iPhone. The Tom Tom is not as user friendly as them, but now that I've learned how to use it, I have few complaints.

not sure how much integration is needed, android auto only takes up three of the present screens, nav,audio,phone, the settings screen would still be built into the system, the others are just basically screencast from the device.

kia and audi seem to have it squared away with vehicles available recently incorporating it. I'll never buy another vehicle again that doesn't have it, so completely fed up with the manufacturers halfassed attempts at media, and navigation implementation

Navigation is flawless. Now that my Bluetooth module has been changed my iPhone 6 USB works perfectly playing music. I can also receive read and play emails and text messages.

No - I am not happy at all! Why do I pay 700 dollar for a piece of garbage that after every update needs to be configured to talk in Kilometers and who cares about meaurements the system cannot even do, like barometer? Come On!! The software is big time BS and to pay another 700 dollars over the life span of the car in map upgrades? Really? I am not sure why people think this piece of garbage should even be allowed - it does not perform traffic alerts (which is should) it completely loses track in big cities with high rises - like Toronto, where my phone just keeps working. It has no freaking clue where I am when I am near Tiverton as it can't find satellites? The OS is typically converted from a much better system that cost, oh say 149.99 at Best Buy but needs to hang of a Windows but does have LIFETIME free maps and traffic alerts that work properly. You know how many times I stood on the 401 waiting for accidents to clear up? It is easier to get tweets from @511 or @OPP in the GTA area. Then again, I am not even allowed to look at my phone while I am driving (or parked on the 401). Customer supports states the system works as designed....

I get traffic updates all the time and it detours me around accidents all the time. There are manual and automatic settings for this so maybe yours are off?

Same here, it worked fine for me. Now my 2016 does not use TomTom anymore .

Hi all

I've got to admit I do like my built in TomTom. The "Live Traffic" function is very useful and never fails to work properly on the congested UK roads. Even though you pay for updates the nav is updated quarterly which does keep pace with road closures due to long term roadworks, tracks for new tram network (Nottingham), new roads, disappearing roads, newly built housing estates etc. From what I've read on these forums about the new unit I can't see any advantage other than a bigger screen as it does not appear to have a live traffic function.

I will get another CX5 when I'm due to change although I will be sad to see the TomTom unit go.

Cheers

Jonno21

Back