POLL: Are you happy with the factory installed TomTom Navigation Unit?

POLL: Are you happy with the factory installed TomTom Navigation Unit?

• Total voters
For any of you unhappy with the factory nav, I would buy it off you and swap you my cubby hole for it, PM me if interested.

The more I use it (or attempt to....) the less satisfied I am. I have not had a built in Nav before, and only used portable or Phone apps, both of which seemed better, but generally only need a map for occasional reference. This system seems to be the nerf version of TomTom navigation.

Using the TomTomHome, I cannot set up multipoint routes, it is just a start and finish point and whatever route the NB1 takes you.....at least in google maps there is a drag feature for the route, and other systems allow you to add points along the way to alter the "ideal" route. The POI stuff is a joke, to search the US, it clears your keyword....(uhm) so now you have the burger kings in Ireland, or wherever to search through as well... The TTH system is horrible at finding a location, it is easier to just plan the route and right click to start or finish at that point....but you have to find the *$%@# address on google or whatever....

I also have a sneaking suspicion that the "free" update is not really a major update, if it updates at all. My device date was March this year, and after updating the map, our two and a half year old subdivision (not on the original map) still is not showing up, but it is online when you go to route planner.... all about money. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND BUYING THIS AS AN UPGRADE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE IT ORIGINALLY......not unless the price is $200 or less....and you are happy with half-ass electronics...

It does display road names well, and works otherwise....but do not have high expectations.... IMHO this is the crappiest piece of tech in the CX-5 and its performance does not live up to the other expectations that the CX-5 exceeds for the price....

Ammended: The crappiest piece of tech along with the voice recognition system.....the only two shortcomings, neither are essential to fun driving in this vehicle thankfully....

Last edited:
I voted "yes" since I don't have a baseline, 1st car w/ factory nav. But still it does seem a bit far too complicated (too many menus...)

No, I have yet to have it understand any addresses I give it on the first try, usually not the 2nd or 3rd either. So far half the time it totally misunderstands me, USA born speaking clearly. The 2013 Escape is way better in that ability. Also, I have to pay for updates, many cars are going to sat updates for free. I could get a better garmin with LMT for $200. The nav and audio are my biggest issues with this car.

The only serious gripe I have is with the dangerous "Safety Lock". This is the trigger that when you cross over the 5 mph threshold it cancels the command you are in the middle of, and changes the menus to be different. Think of how trying desperately to get around a traffic jam and the frustration this setup creates... Most, if not all, other TomTom models allow you to change this "feature" off. To get around the "safety" feature you need to pull off to the edge of the busy highway, luckily I don't live near any "bad" areas of a city where you would never want to stop. Only after stopping do you have full access to the GPS. Don't they know we have passengers that use the GPS most of the time? And do they know how confusing having multiple menu structures is?

I have no troubles with voice control at all, it probably understands 95% of what I say the first time. Speak in a consistent medium volume, speak out each digit of the street number, and pause slightly between street, city and state. The update in June/July fixed all the problems I had earlier.

A minor annoyance is that you can't browse the map by dragging it around like Google Maps or Garmin's. We do this on vacation all the time to find a spot by the river to picnic for example. Also, when save a favorite you can't name it right there and then. You need to navigate awkward menus to edit it to add the name (hopefully knowing where you are because it is listed under street address.)

The GPS is the only frustrating thing about the vehicle. FWD/Auto Touring 6,000 miles. Accurately 34.8 MPG highway!!

Yes - TomTom has extremely accurate routing (at least in Australia)
Yes - The map updates are *extremely* cheap (friends with Toyota's pay 4x as much, and that's considered cheap)
No - Compared with other TomTom software on the market, it's well behind the times. It's similar to TomTom of 2009.

The only serious gripe I have is with the dangerous "Safety Lock". This is the trigger that when you cross over the 5 mph threshold it cancels the command you are in the middle of, and changes the menus to be different. Think of how trying desperately to get around a traffic jam and the frustration this setup creates... Most, if not all, other TomTom models allow you to change this "feature" off. To get around the "safety" feature you need to pull off to the edge of the busy highway, luckily I don't live near any "bad" areas of a city where you would never want to stop. Only after stopping do you have full access to the GPS.

The problem is not with Mazda or TomTom. It is the regulators and laws that equate text entry with address entry on a built in GPS. You are driving a 2013 and they are trying to comply with guidelines. From: http://news.consumerreports.org/car...distracted-driving-from-vehicle-controls.html

"Further, the guidelines call for disabling while driving: text messaging, Internet browsing, social media browsing, navigation system destination entry by address, manual phone dials, and displaying more than 30 characters of text unrelated to driving. Some of these functions can instead be performed by voice controls that keep your eyes on the road."

Also states and provences are passing laws incouraged by fed regulations:
http://handsfreeinfo.com/montana-cell-phone-laws-legislation
http://handsfreeinfo.com/new-brunswick-texting-cell-phones
Do a search on distracted driving - there are many others...

Any idea where to get this navigation (it's not Alpine, but original Mazda's):

Screen looks larger, as it's not flushed in as with current model

Cheers,
Miki

The more I use it (or attempt to....) the less satisfied I am.

Compared to a 10 year old Garmin 276C (with updated maps and firmware) the Tom Tom is in the dark ages, virtually unusable.

My dissatisfaction with the Tom Tom are due to:

1) No ability to change map detail displayed.

This is critical to a functional nav device. As it stands, the road names I need to see are not displayed until I zoom in so far that they are meaningless.

2) Absolutely TERRIBLE POI database. It is very incomplete. The garmin database has tens of thousands stores, etc. that are absent from Tom Tom.

3) Voice recognition is useless.

I speak english about as closely as possible to the dictionary pronunciation for most words. I have yet for the Tom Tom to understand anything I've said except for simple commands like "yes", "no" and "dial".

4) Auto day/night mode is useless.

The Tom Tom night display is completely unreadable until it is pitch black outside.

5) Maps are too "cartoon" like. Not enough detail. For example, a freeway frontage road (paralleling the freeway) is not displayed until zoomed in too close to be useful. The highway obscures it. The Garmin 276C offers much more map readability.

6) many minor functions are not customizable enough (or, more often, not at all). The 10 year old Garmin is light years ahead in this regard.

Do not waste your money on the Tom Tom GPS.

On the otherhand, the Mazda CX-5 is brilliant!

Last edited:
1) No ability to change map detail displayed.

4) Auto day/night mode is useless.

The Tom Tom night display is completely unreadable until it is pitch black outside.

Agree with above.

I'm OK with the voice recognition, which is surprising as I'm often told I don't speak clearly. How appropriate that computers understand me better, as I work in IT lol.

I'd add

1) The tiny "Next Turn" label in the upper corner is hard to read. I miss the Garmin's huge banner label at the top.

2) The Garmin colors were easier to see and read. I dunno what it is about the TomTom, but none of the themes seemed to work well for me, so I made my own... and even they don't seem as easy to see

And it's not TomTom's fault, but I kinda miss having the unit mounted in my line-of-sight on the windshield. Much easier to see at a glance rather than looking down and over into the cabin.

I voted Yes because it could be worse.. I am content with it because it hasn't gotten me lost, going in a wrong direction on a one-way street, or over a bridge that's been closed for months.. I actually think that putting the address in this unit is even easier than the navigation unit I had in ML - that one was just painful.. I guess being a Garmin fan, I am simply trying to look for positives because I know I'm stuck with this for next x number of years, so I prefer to enjoy the ride instead of finding and dwelling on negatives :)

Before getting my CX-5, I had 3 Garmins and 2 TomToms. The last TomTom had free maps and traffic. Looks like I will have to purchase future updates for the CX-5. So far I have no complaints with the in dash nav.

I haven't done the update (from Mazda in August). has anybody? And was it an improvement?

its ok, but I installed mine. Took about 10-15 minutes. I wish it came with lifetime updates. Plus my wife drives alittle fast I love the warning sounds, but on a long trip turn on nav, set your route, and then push the volume button so you can watch nav, bu listen to radio.

Does anybody know how to disable the life traffic notification? There's no traffic info in my area and every once awhile the "no traffic in your area" notification pops up which is really annoying

I voted Yes because it could be worse.. I am content with it because it hasn't gotten me lost, going in a wrong direction on a one-way street, or over a bridge that's been closed for months.. I actually think that putting the address in this unit is even easier than the navigation unit I had in ML - that one was just painful.. I guess being a Garmin fan, I am simply trying to look for positives because I know I'm stuck with this for next x number of years, so I prefer to enjoy the ride instead of finding and dwelling on negatives :)

Voted yes also,and your right it could be worse......like Fords My Ford Touch..( Previous 2012 Ford Focus owner)

Last edited:
Any idea where to get this navigation (it's not Alpine, but original Mazda's):

Screen looks larger, as it's not flushed in as with current model

Cheers,
Miki

Miki, you are right that navi is also an oem ,but will only be available only if you bought the vehicle in Taiwan. It is a 8 inch navi with satellite TV, in Taiwan tom-tom is not very popular compares Garmin, NaviKing, PapaGo etc. In case you are wondering why I know this, it's because I am from TW :), and currently in Canada. I did talk to them, but unfortunately that navi will not be available for us ><. I love everything about CX-5 except that 5.8 tom-tom navi, ruin the whole packaging and so tiny for my eyes and fingers = =. So I am currently looking for other brand of SUV's.

Last edited:
Voted yes also,and your right it could be worse......like Fords My Ford Touch..( Previous 2012 Ford Focus owner)

Yiiieeechs, you didn't own that 2012 Focus for very long (did the car have other problems?)......

Certainly your comparison of the 2 nav systems has value for us since you actually owned both vehicles.

It mutes so you can hear your phone call, otherwise you have the nav voice cutting in and drowning out your and the callers voice. It would be irritating. The directions still show on the nav screen.

Back