Please for the love of god help me...JIC problems..

Ok, well, I just typed out a huge ******* post and IE decided it didn't like it enough so it made it dissappear. This day blows. Anyway, on to the issue.

I installed my JIC Magic FLT-A2's yesterday, and after some tweaking we got them in problem free. So today I get my car aligned, and lo and behold the tires are rubbing...everywhere. Front AND rear. I'm running -2.4 degrees of camber up front, and -1 degree camber rear. My question is this, would a 5mm spacer be sufficient to make the fronts and rears clear? The rubbing seems to be less so in the front, so I'm thinking 5mm will work. In the rears, the rubbing is substantially worse, so once again I'm wondering if 5mm will work. From what I could find they only make the spacers in 5mm, 15mm, and 25mm, so I think 15mm might make the tires rub on the fenders.

To make matters worse, I had to drive all the way from the alignment shop to the shop I put the coilovers in, with the tires rubbing the whole way. Who knows how badly it ****** up the s-03s. Nothing like smelling your $650 tires having the sidewalls ******. If anyone can provide any help I'd appreciate it, today has been a horrible day. Thanks in advance.

~brian

Last edited:
Oh, and the car isn't even lowered that much. It's no where close to tucking a wheel, and there is still wheel gap front and rear.

Someone please help with the spacer question.

~brian

It's rubbing on the strut housing or on the fender?

BTW those might not be STX legal, waiting for approval from the Comp Board.

Britt

122 Vega said:

Britt
Its gotta be rubbing on the Strut housing by his desciption...and yes it sounds like you will need spacers for sure....thats what happens when you run the wrong wheel offset.
Matt

What kind of tweaking are you talking about? Mine went right in when I installed them. Did you match up the right struts to the right sides?

msp's are ******* whacky with the jic's for some reason. they rub, for one, and god knows what other problems ran in to with these.

they're my old jic's, so i feel bad that he's having so many problems when everyone else just drops them in and cruises. we knew about the rubbing, part of which i think is caused by the -2.4 front and -1.0 rear on the cambre.

and for those that asked, its rubbing on the collar / perch that the spring rests on, since it sticks out just a smidge farther than everything else on the coilover body component.

and for the record...

+55 offset stock msp wheels + jic-magic flt-a2's = bad.

122 Vega said:

Britt
Well that sucks. I hope they're legal, but if not I'll run DSP or whatever class allows them. Why might they not be stx legal? The rubbing is just as element.8 described it.

ForceFed said:
Its gotta be rubbing on the Strut housing by his desciption...and yes it sounds like you will need spacers for sure....thats what happens when you run the wrong wheel offset.
Matt
Yeah, the "wrong wheel offset" = stock MSP wheels. My slipstreams are +45 offset which should fit fine (I'll find out tomorrow).

ELEmental59437 said:
What kind of tweaking are you talking about? Mine went right in when I installed them. Did you match up the right struts to the right sides?
Tweaking I'm talking about is that when we first put them in, we had the camber on the rear set to maximum negative camber, which cause it to rub hardcore. We maxed the slots out in the other direction (giving me positive camber) just so it wouldn't rub. We figured it wouldn't hurt the tires too much since I was getting it aligned the next day (today). And yeah, they are on the correct sides.

Thanks for all of your comments, I really appreciate the help.

~brian

there's just a question of the lower height adj collar. that may be a "change in suspension geometry." They really don't fit in the ride height section with that adjustment.

Britt

I see. What class would I be in if they aren't STX legal? Do you have any guesses as to whether or not it'll be allowed? Thanks for the info, if you hear anything please lemme know. Thanks again.

~brian

122 Vega said:
there's just a question of the lower height adj collar. that may be a "change in suspension geometry." They really don't fit in the ride height section with that adjustment.

Britt

I'll have to read the DSP rules again, I haven't run SP for a few years. You could go into SM, they are legal for sure there. Then get some R compounds...

Britt

Yeah. Kinda sucks, the car has a lotta STX potential. I really hope they rule that they're legal.

Anyway, on topic, does anyone know if 5mm spacers will be enough? Thanks.

~brian

122 Vega said:

Britt
where have you heard this? how is the adjustable height different than any other coilover set? people have been running JICs in ST for a long time now.

<-- confused.

^I'm guessing it's because the threadbody itself is what moves, not the collar. I dunno though, I'm really hoping they stay STX legal. I'm sure this would screw over a ton of STX cars.

And an update: I put the slipstreams/azenis on today and there is no rubbing. So, back to the question, can anyone tell me if 5mm is going to be a big enough spacer? Thanks. The slipstreams are +45 offset btw, and stock MSP wheels are +55. I'm having the rubbing issue with the stock msp wheels.

~brian

Without camber bolts 5mm still may not make it. I had 17x7.5 +48 Sub-zeroes and they rubbed with 215/40-17s before I put camber bolts on, but on only 1 wheel-driver side rear. It may have been possible to loosen stuff up and have it not rub, but it still would have been damn close. Fronts weren't a problem.

I have camber plates up front and the rear top bracket bolt is slotted to adjust camber. I'm running -2.4 degrees front and -1 degree rear. The slipstreams/azenis don't rub at all, and they're +45 offset, so a 10mm spacer would probably work but they don't make them. So, anyone else have any input as to whether or not 5mm would suffice? I'm thinking it will, but any input is appreciated. Thanks for the reply.

~brian

thewrench said:
Without camber bolts 5mm still may not make it. I had 17x7.5 +48 Sub-zeroes and they rubbed with 215/40-17s before I put camber bolts on, but on only 1 wheel-driver side rear. It may have been possible to loosen stuff up and have it not rub, but it still would have been damn close. Fronts weren't a problem.

Are the stock MSP wheels 7" or 7.5"? My JICs are NOT slotted. Using camber bolts, I'm running around -1.5 deg in the rear. With 7.5" +48 wheels they just barely fit. With 7" +45 wheels there is plenty of room. So if stockers are 7" +55-5(spacer)=50but with 1/4" less wheel width would probably work. But if stockers are 7.5" +55-5=50 with same wheel width, definitely wouldn't work.

Latest posts

Back