Play in rear-view mirror?

doughboy52

Contributor
:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD Sky Blue
Whenever I adjust the rear-view mirror it's hard to get set exactly right and takes a few tries. It has a lot of play in it and it's almost like I have to overcompensate in my adjustment to get it right - I'll have to position it a fraction of an inch higher than it should be to allow for it to sag once I let go. Is there something wrong or is this how Mazda's mirrors are? I've never had this issue with a car's mirror before. Mine is a 2013.

Is this a real concern, or a joke?
Not sure if OP is kidding or not.

I dont have this issue... but maybe I am more "loose" in how precise i actually need my rear view mirror to be lol.

seriously just moving your head a little will change more what you see than micro changes in the mirror position.

Got to love car forums, I would never have imagined that this could be an issue in any car if not for this forum...

Is this a real concern, or a joke?
Not sure if OP is kidding or not.

I dont have this issue... but maybe I am more "loose" in how precise i actually need my rear view mirror to be lol.

seriously just moving your head a little will change more what you see than micro changes in the mirror position.

Got to love car forums, I would never have imagined that this could be an issue in any car if not for this forum...

Definitely not a joke. I'm not angry about it or anything. I love the car. Just a general curiosity to see if it is normal for the car or brand. It's a shared car between me and my wife, so we frequently have to readjust it and that makes it an annoyance, albeit minor. Isn't the whole point of forums to discuss things? Sorry if I wasted your time with a stupid question...

Last edited:
My rear view mirror started vibrating after 6 mos...it was either use the vibrating drivers "outside mirror" or the vibrating rear view mirror. Frustrating! I finally looked at it & tightened the screw. Doesn't vibrate anymore. Wish all the other vibrations, rattles & bouncing could be fixed that easy!

My rear view mirror started vibrating after 6 mos...it was either use the vibrating drivers "outside mirror" or the vibrating rear view mirror. Frustrating! I finally looked at it & tightened the screw. Doesn't vibrate anymore. Wish all the other vibrations, rattles & bouncing could be fixed that easy!

Great! Sounds like that may be my fix!

Definitely not a joke. I'm not angry about it or anything. I love the car. Just a general curiosity to see if it is normal for the car or brand. It's a shared car between me and my wife, so we frequently have to readjust it and that makes it an annoyance, albeit minor. Isn't the whole point of forums to discuss things? Sorry if I wasted your time with a stupid question...

don't be sorry, I choose entirely how I waste my time on forums, this is not anyone else's fault... :)
I was not saying that its a stupid question, but merely surprised that this could be an issue, as I have never seen this problem before.

If i thought it was a joke, its because of the fraction of inches part, that had me thinking that the problem was getting the right position of the mirror and not the fact that its loose. I actually got a good laugh out of it.... so thanks for that...

Also, I come from mazdaspeed forums, where I have spent the last 5 years getting my skin thickened... I guess my sense of humor and reactions are still not adjusted to a "normal" forum... anyone that has been on that forum will know what I mean. and if I learned one thing over there is that its a good thing to not take anyone too seriously... including ourselves ;) this is what makes forums fun to read.

Donuts - I have the same "problem", or rather characteristic. It's unlike my other cars in that as you say, you almost have to overshoot your goal angle, and the mirror then settles to where you want it. Once you get used to it, it's not a big deal. My wife and son both drive the car regularly, and I have to adjust the mirror every time I follow them driving, so do it fairly often and am now used to it. But I totally get what you're saying.

I know what you mean's about the "Mazdaspeedforum".
I was there for 4 year's and you do need to have a thick skin over there.

My rear view mirror had some play in it when i first got it. Mentioned it to the dealer when i took it in for another minor issue, and they tightened the mirror using the adjustment screw on the back side. It hasn't happened again and it been a year since the first time. It's an easy fix.

Latest posts

Back