2016 CX-5 Rear view mirror falls off

Here:

I was thinking about using the Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 on the mirror screw. But I keep wondering why Mazda doesn’t use the thread locker on this mirror screw at factory even though they know it’s prone to loose? The pointed tip of the screw is going into the soft aluminum alloy mirror base plate which is glued on the windshield, and it’ll get loose eventually unless we keep tightening it up more from time to time. IMO I don’t believe the Threadlocker can prevent this problem.

I couldn’t remember how many turns, I only use my feeling that hand tight is good enough and there’s no play exist. I’d say no more than a quarter turn after the tip of the screw contact the aluminum base plate.

But your Torx T20 screw from Walmart won’t have the pointed-tip like the original mirror screw (see picture above in post #12) and that could change everything though. IMO the mirror screw is almost impossible fallen off completely by itself unless someone unscrewed it. Are you sure you can’t find the original screw somewhere on the floor? If the Walmart screw keeps getting loose often, you may try to get the original mirror screw from a Mazda dealer.
The original screw was on the mirror. For some reason it was not tight, and the mirror would pop out if I put those sunshades which would sometimes cause the mirror to pop out and fall.

So, I got T20 Torx screwdriver from walmart and used it to tighten it. It's the same type of screw as seen in the video I posted.

I couldn’t remember how many turns, I only use my feeling that hand tight is good enough and there’s no play exist. I’d say no more than a quarter turn after the tip of the screw contact the aluminum base plate.

But your Torx T20 screw from Walmart won’t have the pointed-tip like the original mirror screw (see picture above in post #12) and that could change everything though. IMO the mirror screw is almost impossible fallen off completely by itself unless someone unscrewed it. Are you sure you can’t find the original screw somewhere on the floor? If the Walmart screw keeps getting loose often, you may try to get the original mirror screw from a Mazda dealer.

The OP didn't say anything about buying a new Torx screw, the OP said that a new Torx screwdriver was purchased.

The original screw was on the mirror. For some reason it was not tight, and the mirror would pop out if I put those sunshades which would sometimes cause the mirror to pop out and fall.

So, I got T20 Torx screwdriver from walmart and used it to tighten it. It's the same type of screw as seen in the video I posted.

The OP didn't say anything about buying a new Torx screw, the OP said that a new Torx screwdriver was purchased.
Yes, yes. My mistake. Now I re-read the posts and somehow the “Walmart” reply to “what type of screw was it” question made me think he was getting the T20 screw from Walmart ⋯ 🙃

Yes, yes. My mistake. Now I re-read the posts and somehow the “Walmart” reply to “what type of screw was it” question made me think he was getting the T20 screw from Walmart ⋯ 🙃
Thanks for this interesting thread. My mirror was loose for a long time and it got worse during hot weather. Luckily, I had a T20 Torx screwdriver in my toolbox and managed to tighten the screw without removing the cover. I think it would have been easier to locate the screw at night with a flashlight. No one can say I have a screw loose anymore (pun intended)! :devilish:

Thanks for this interesting thread. My mirror was loose for a long time and it got worse during hot weather. Luckily, I had a T20 Torx screwdriver in my toolbox and managed to tighten the screw without removing the cover. I think it would have been easier to locate the screw at night with a flashlight. No one can say I have a screw loose anymore (pun intended)! :devilish:

Perhaps you have other screws loose as well? ;)

Perhaps you have other screws loose as well? ;)
I don't know you should ask my wife :ROFLMAO: .I knew I was opening the door for jokes but that's O.K.! Seriously, this was the only loose screw on my CX-5 as it's well assembled. My previous ride, a 2017.5 Murano had loose and missing nuts on the wheel wells, loose weatherstripping on all doors, missing brackets, loose shark fin antenna, etc. probably built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon...

Back