Picked up my Protege5 yesterday!

the only reason id keep it auto is for fear of the manuals when you put like 400++ hp on them heh. sure a stock auto wont take it, but im definitly looking at dropping all the lentech parts into it.

i mean. if your gonna bother with a KL, might as well shoot for 500 hp anyway ha ha.

as for the fun.. meh. ive driven both. I doubt a manual for my DD in victoria would be my preference, but for a second project car, sure.

Wow! Glad to see ForceFed's car put to a sweet project like this. Nothing like brand new paint too, not to mention the JDM tails. Can't wait to see the build complete. I have yet to see someone who has successfully completed a KL-ZE swap into a P5 although I am sure it has. Keep us updated!

BTW I love your 323! That thing is sick! My first car was an 87' 323 wagon so I still have a thing for them.

Well this isn't a ZE, just a DE...but still...if I want to I can get ZE heads and whatnot some time down the road. The key is getting the engine in and running perfectly, and the DE will be easier for this since I have every little bit I need for it.

I wish I could keep my 323...but I don't have space or a need for 4 cars. 3 cars is ideal. :)

y is ur front so high up?

Thing's FAST!!!!

the only reason id keep it auto is for fear of the manuals when you put like 400++ hp on them heh. sure a stock auto wont take it, but im definitly looking at dropping all the lentech parts into it.

i mean. if your gonna bother with a KL, might as well shoot for 500 hp anyway ha ha.

as for the fun.. meh. ive driven both. I doubt a manual for my DD in victoria would be my preference, but for a second project car, sure.

I have a Protege that'll some day be fast, aswell as a Miata. This P5 is going to be my daily driver so I'm not going to do anything silly. I thought of maybe supercharging the KL in the distant future...I don't know.

I've thought about it for a long time, just out of boredom, and the only 3 pluses that an auto has over a manual are easier to drive, more wieght over the drive wheels helps in the snow, and higher resale value. Other than that...the manual IS more fun to drive, faster(in these cars anyway), lighter, better fuel economy, statistically more reliable, and best of all, manuals require the driver to be more alert and not multitasking as much. So they are safer too. :)

Honestly, the trans to me doesnt make a big difference with the fun of the car as long as the car isnt retardedly underpowered... i guess like the p5 ha ha.

I still have lots of fun with it when i want, and when im just putting to and from work, i am more than happy to let the car do all the work. at 7 am, all i care about is the morning coffee anyway ha ha.

its still too early for me to say what ill do. im broke and paying the loan. Might swap for a MSP, build my auto for 8-10psi, or just say phuc it entirely and buy a faster car and go to school ha ha.

your thread ill definitly watch like a hawk. actully SEEING a v6 go into a BJ will be pretty exciting.

If you pull this off I may think about doing something similiar with mine. I assume you're still expecting to get good gas mileage with this setup as well. What's the MPG rating on this motor?

Very cool cars. Good luck with build.

^^^ This is not something done for gas mileage, no mods are. Because this is a larger-displacement V6 I'm going to go ahead and say the fuel economy will decrease.

Well, the Protege5 was rated 25 city, 31 highway. The KL 626 is rated 21 city, 27 highway, in a slightly heavier car. Who knows what I'll get, MPG has never been a main concern of mine unless it is rediculously low(like my Protege which gets ~16-18mpg because I'm running a US N/A ECU for a turbo car and it runs rich while cruising) because I have too much fun while driving. :)

^^ which is why i asked about mpg ;)

I realize it's not done for MPG but he did say it would be his daily which is why I asked. When I had my 1991 L98 Corvette I considered swapping that engine/transmission into my 1997 motorless Sonoma and i expected that it very well could have seen over 30 MPG with the L98 350 as the Sonoma is lighter. I woudn't have been doing it for performance. I would have done it because I could and why the hell not...it also could have been tuned to get that MPG with 87 octane. It still would have been plenty fast for what it was. I was going to 383 the Corvette. But alas the economy sucks so I now only have my Protege 5.

Anyways I was just curious. I think the concept of making the car faster while maintaining good gas mileage rocks. If my engine ever goes I may consider doing this swap rather than getting another not quite 100 whp 2.0. I like having this car as a daily but it is slow as sin and it wouldn't hurt to have a little more power with the dependability of an already proven engine/transmission.

/hijack

I'll be watching this thread closely...if you were closer I'd say buy some beer and I'd galdly lend a hand. Once again good luck. (thumb)

I have gotten 35mpg all freeway to and from Austin. Having a better breathing engine with an ems to keep the perfect afr's can be more efficient than the stock setup if you can keep off the gas which I don't very often!

Scored it big at the junkyard today. My brother is able to get into a full service yard that has new cars, so I went with him today.

Here's a list of what I got:
Protege MP3 front springs/shocks(shocks are destroyed, car was wrecked)
Racing Beat rear swaybar/endlinks(might need new ones)
MP3 Floormats(have to find the passenger side next time)
Foglight harness
Stock P5 front swaybar(didn't want it but they threw it in)
And best of all:
Protege5 Greddy catback!

My brother got a ton of stuff, Accord leather steering wheel, 2 Accord gauge clusters, bunch of Miata suspension parts, a handful of ECUs, the front swaybar from the MP3, Miata rear panel, Miata center console(both parts), Mazda6 rear calipers, Integra rear calipers, and a few misc things I can't even remember...$240 for all of it! And I'm getting the rear subframe/shocks/springs from the MP3, they have to pull them Monday.

Then we went back to the shop where I put the interior together on the P5. Didn't get the leather seats in because my brother wants to see the title of the car first, which ForceFed needs to send to me.

Pics of the goodies coming tomorrow! I can't believe how awesome today was...and then we went to another yard that just got a Conquest in and I got the intercooler for my Miata. :)

Wow! Sounds like christmas. Good score. Are you going to sell the two 323's to make room for the P5? That would give ya some spending cash for the P5. I can't imagine why you would need more than two cars

Man, so it's people like you and your brother why I can't ever find anything useful at junkyards - you guys take everything! I still say the rear end will sag if you use the MP3 springs without MP3 struts. The spring perch is lower, I believe, so the springs are also shorter. So if you use those springs with stock P5 or aftermarket P5 struts the rear end is going to sit lower than the front.

Wow! Sounds like christmas. Good score. Are you going to sell the two 323's to make room for the P5? That would give ya some spending cash for the P5. I can't imagine why you would need more than two cars

Having 3 cars is ideal. It's a fact. The 323 will be leaving once the P5 is ready to go - til then I still use it in bad weather and it's waiting for some fun snow action.

Who needs much spending cash when I get stuff like this? lol Actually, I watch my spending and while I do have a good chunk of change in my cars, I have a rock solid job, never have been in debt, and I watch what I spend money on...mainly my cars. Oh...and I still live at home with my folks, so no rent/utilities. I'm still young. :)

Man, so it's people like you and your brother why I can't ever find anything useful at junkyards - you guys take everything! I still say the rear end will sag if you use the MP3 springs without MP3 struts. The spring perch is lower, I believe, so the springs are also shorter. So if you use those springs with stock P5 or aftermarket P5 struts the rear end is going to sit lower than the front.

I will be getting the MP3 rear springs AND Tokicos so no worries. The front Tokicos are toast since the car is wrecked, but the springs are ok - might just put em on the P5 shocks unless I come across a pair of Tokicos for a good deal. We'll see.

its ok its JDM.
and if he throws sum 20s on em, he's gona be highballing (lol2)

LOL Well ForceFed rolled the fenders for RX-8 18"s...so I figure 22"s with 15 series sidewall tires should fit too. AM I RITE?!

subbing to this build thread. def. something intresting!!

Interesting project. The Pro5 looks to be a good shell to start with. I love the 1st gen in your sig.

Back