performance chip?

nope. . .sucks, but no one seems to be able to crack our ECU.

There is a lot of talk about possible ones coming out, or flash upgrades and suck, but seeing is believing and no one has one yet, so the first statement still holds.

Yeah, our engines really piss me off, we have no aftermarket, and i can't afford to go turbo; so i'm still waiting....

Pro Fiz said:
Yeah, our engines really piss me off, we have no aftermarket, and i can't afford to go turbo; so i'm still waiting....
We are coming with plenty of stuff;)

^ As mention give it time, remember these cars are still kinda of new to these shores. But aftermarket support is coming along quite nicely now. :)

ok ok ive been readin all these threads and what nots and from what ive seen these engines cant do jack beacuse no one is able to modify the ecu if this is true i find this sad and pathetic, and im pissed cause i love proteges

2 companies now have engine management systems, i think Perfworks has his unit now that should be out really soon, and hiboost has something, though i havent kept up reading the thread about it because its too damn long.

spoolin is also coming out with his in the near future.

so dont be so dismayed, the dawn of protege power is at hand.

lol the angels played there trumpets and god separated the clouds and there the protege was and it was good

Funny you asked.... My Pro5 is in the shop right now getting a performance chip installed! So yes one is out for the P5! My dad works for a dealership and he got it installed for me. So as of right now i do not know the brand of chip sorry.

Last edited:
DragonP5 said:
Funny you asked.... My Pro5 is in the shop right now getting a performance chip installed! So yes one is out for the P5! My dad works for a dealership and he got it installed for me. So as of right now i do not know the brand of chip sorry.

I doubt any dealership would have a "chip" for the Protege.

I remember someone from Australia saying he could get one for the P5. It was from Superchips, but wasn't available in the US, yet.

It's so close, yet so far away.

Perhapse the Aus and US ECUs are diffrent? I seem to remember reading quite a good explaination as to why just a "chip" won't work with our ECU.

KYREDP5 said:
I seem to remember reading quite a good explaination as to why just a "chip" won't work with our ECU.

this is a good one by installshield from the other board a few days ago:

"Anyone thinking any type of "chip" is going to give good benefits needs to seriously run a series of searches...

All 3rd gen proteges have a very stubborn ECU. The system runs on open loop at partial throttle (uses various sensors to determine fuel requirments and timing), but then switches to closed loop at possibly a certain rpm (some say around 4800 rpm, but this has yet to be determined for sure from what I have heard), but definatly at WOT. In closed loop the ECU rely's on preset maps to determine the above mentioned s***. Most "chips" simply manipulate or intersept the sensors signals to confuse the ECU and free up potential power. This will not work on a protege. The chip will probably function when the engine is simply tugging the car around town at partial throttle positions, in which you wouldn't know it anyway, but once you stomp on the throttle the ECU will override any sensor input and rely on the maps. In turn this makes your investment worthless. Also the chip could adversely affect performance under certain conditions as well.

You have two options...

You need either a programmable piggy-back such as the mentioned Uni-chip or something like a Greddy E-Manage with the balls to override the stock ECU completely, even at WOT...Or a full stand alone, which completely replaces the stock ECU all together."

I emailed you Dragon. Would like to see this install in person if I can. And what dealership it's being done at.

DragonP5 said:
I get my car back on monday I'll post the chip info. And by the way u dont have to be such a jackass beavis.

REMillers said:
^ As mention give it time, remember these cars are still kinda of new to these shores. But aftermarket support is coming along quite nicely now. :)

The Nissan 350Z is new and they have a s*** load of after market stuff out for it already including the Injen CAI.

Latest posts

Back