Penny-Pinching Improvements

that70machine

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey everyone!

So I was on my daily one-hour commute to work, thinking of all the improvements I want to do to my P5; suspension, turbo, new paint, etc. But being on a very tight budget for the next year or so, I got to thinking that maybe there are small, cheap improvements that can make our cars more well-rounded and pleasant to live with. It's all in the details, after all. For example:
- LED lighting, inside and out. Less voltage, brighter lights, makes the car look more modern.
- Tribute mist nozzles. Better windshield cleaning, simple as that.
- HID Lights. Better road visibility.
- Aftermarket stereo and speakers. Not that cheap but a huge improvement. This would be on the higher end of the "cheap" spectrum.
- Extra insulation. Some door panel/headliner/carpet sound-deadening would quiet things up a bit (at the cost of weight, of course).
- Tinted windows. Practically a necessity here in Florida; keeps cabin much cooler.
- Spare tire removal. Less weight hanging out at the back. Just make sure you have AAA.
- ECU reflash. Smoother power curve and a few more horses for relatively little money. Makes for a nicer drive.

I can't think of anything else at the moment but that's the idea. Some of these items are over $100 (not exactly penny-pinching, I know) but I'm sure there are plenty of bits that can be improved in our Mazdas for cheaper, or even free. Hell, I'm thinking of doing my gray headliner and trim pieces in black to go with the rest of the interior. It's cheap and it'll give the interior a more refined look. That's an improvement in my book.
Anyway, feel free to share your penny-pinching mods!

I'm with you until you said to remove the spare tire. P5s aren't exactly racecars, unless you are at the track and it's temporary I see no logical reason to remove it.

I used it only as an example, but since you pointed it out, my particular reasoning for taking it out was that the tire was torn up and figured I'd get rid of some weight while my procrastinating ass decides to get another one. I have a small bag of tools back there now, so it has a purpose in the meantime.

I just recently purchased LEDs for the dome/hatch (had ones of the front on hand already) on ebay with free shipping for 2 red and 2 white, spent about $8 if I recall -- good & cheap upgrade.

Tribute nozzles (EC01-67-50YA) for $19.34 and a used Mazda Tribute Wiper Control Switch for $26.99 both from ebay. If you're going to do the nozzles might as well do the control switch.

These would be the least expensive mods after plastidipping the rear valance and are a good place to start. Have fun!

LED lighting, inside and out. -very useful/appealing and not too expensive. The outside lights (brake/reverse) will be the expensive ones, but def worth it!
- Tribute mist nozzles. -not too expensive to buy brand new and can also be found at junk yards, but can break when removed due to age. Also worth it for sure!
- HID Lights. -this one isn't really worth to do "cheap". HID lights in your stock headlights will just blind everyone and the beam won't actually be better than just some high quality halogen bulbs. I recommend Sylvania Xtravision. They have a very nice output and aren't too pricey. HIDs are great though if you do the full projector retrofit to really take advantage of them, but at the cost of high cost.
- Aftermarket stereo and speakers. -definitely a good upgrade. The stock stuff is weak compared to a good quality set of speakers. Depending how much you want to spend on this, but for probably $200 or so you can really get a good sound upgrade.
- Extra insulation. -I haven't done this personally, but I heard some people use the insulation stuff for roofing since it's very similar but much cheaper than dynomat.
- Tinted windows. -also a definite for Florida, plus adds to the aesthetics of the car!
- Spare tire removal.AAA. -this one is iffy. The weight saved probably won't be super noticeable. Not sure how much of an impact it will have though as I always have mine.
- ECU reflash. -This is also a great upgrade, but isn't "penny-pinching" due to having to run with octane 91 gas which will add up a lot compared to 87.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thanks for your input guys. Taco Cat, I'm gonna look into getting a set of the Silvania Xtravisions. Thanks for the recommendation.

Back