Passenger Airbag light stays on

backpackerx

:
2014 CX-5 Touring w/Tech
When I'm driving alone and there is nothing in the passenger seat the Passenger Airbag OFF warning light stays on. I believe the manual says it will come on briefly when first started when there isn't anyone sitting in the seat but it should go off but mine doesn't.

The way my Nissan Altima works is that the airbag light will only come on when there is something under 50lbs in the seat because it assumes it's a small child or booster seat etc.

Anyone else?

Mine stays on too. As long as its on when someone is sitting in the seat, it should be fine. If you're in an accident & there's no font passenger, do you want the passenger airbag to go off? Might save a few thousands in repair costs if just one airbag goes off.

Just to be clear, if there is a passenger in the front seat, the airbag OFF light should NOT be lit. When it's lit, the airbag is OFF. Not what you'd want with a passenger in the seat. When you are alone, the light is on to indicate that the airbag is off.
I think this is odd, but it is what it is.

No, it shouldn't be illuminated without weight in the seat (5-50 lbs or something). The feature disables bag deployment for smaller, underweight passengers. If there is an adult in the passenger seat, and the light is on, that is undesireable.

There is a TSB for this issue.
My CX-5 is doing this is well. I will have the dealer address it next time I bring it in for service.

That's how my other car works with the light indicator but I wasn't sure if the CX-5 just stays on all the time if no one is in the seat. Thanks.

I just checked page 2-56 from OM and it seems that the light will only turn off if passenger's weight is normal. The light in my 2014 stays on all the time when the passenger seat is empty.

Last edited:
Back