Parking Brake

xwing79

I live in Wisconsin and it's been really cold here lately. I've found that if I use the parking brake when I shut my car off that when I start it back up and go that it hesitates like the caliper is still engaged. I just had my rear brakes replaced in Dec and they said the calipers were fine and just needed to be lubed. But now I'm having the same problem again. This is the first winter I've had this problem and I've got a 2002 P5. Any ideas what the problem is? Also, am I doing any damage to my clutch by leaving it in gear when I park instead of using the parking brake?

water gets in there that freezes overnight to create that sticky feeling..I get it once in awhile too...usually after a snow, when the roads create that fine mist for a few days or when it rains or after I rinse the car off like last night...damn, couldn't even see my liscense plates, so I gave her a rinse and this morning they stuck a little...nothing to worry too much about unless it makes a really bad jolt or squeal, cause that usually means that your pads did freeze to the rotors and you've lost one :(

as for leaving it in gear, it's okay to leave it in neutral with the brake on, no worries as long as you're on the flat so you don't roll anywheres lol...you should always leave it in gear tho, reverse preferably.. instead of first...only gear it won't slip out of.

If you're on flat ground then leave it in gear instead of engaging the parking break.

^agreed. It is in the owners manual (for cold/freezing weather). And park turning your front wheels toward the curb.

Back