Paint on Yellow Protege 5

chris.mp5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5 2.0
I have some slight rust problems on my mazda protege 5. So i stripped the paint, add body filler, sand it so it has a smooth contour. Now my question is what kind of primer do I use? ( like grey .. white .. ) . I really want to match the color as close as possible. I was told if i use grey, it would come out a darker yellow, but then again white would it come out as a lighter yellow? I'm new when it comes to this considering this is my first car.

Also as a primer, am i able to substitute it as regular premium auto paint? Like instead of using white primer for example, I found regular premium white auto paint. just curious.

Thanks

I would use "primer" only before applying paint. I'm not really experienced with bodywork but I've done a few cars in my day. I would say to go with the lightest color primer possible (white) and put on a few main coats of the yellow and hope for a nice match. Like any bodywork that you are doing yourself, it's really hard to match the colors perfectly. I wouldn't sweat it too much as if you didn't get every little bit of rust and use POR-15 you are very likely going to have to fix it again in a while. Rust always comes back unless you practically remove all of the surrounding metal that is "infected". 1 spec of rust = 1 bubble in 6 months or so.

Back