P5 trailer hitch

Thats just temporary until I get my Postert rear bumber. Then it will have removable piece thats painted the same color as the car so you will never know its there.

little red NC said:

Also, once bolted up you can't get the vapor recovery bracket bolted back where it's supposed to go. Did you have this problem with the hidden hitch?

No, the Hidden Hitch mounts completely independant of everything already on the car - No moving anything.

As you can see from the photo, the vapor recovery hose does lay on the mounting plate for the hitch, but it just touches the reinforced portion of the hose, so it's unlikely it'll pose any problem.

Installation was less than an hour, and that was with me working alone, and taking my time. No holes to drill, and it doesn't interfere in any way with the bumper.

Don

lowered MP5 w/Hitch

I don't get it, why would you want to do something that the owners manual very clearly does not recomend?

I could appreciate the towing the motorcycles but I surely wouldn't go towing it with my MP5.

The cutout rear bumper looks really bad IMO. but that's jus my opinion. I think I'll stick to towing with my Expedition.

Okay, i'm ready for the free for all now. (chair)

If I had another option I would use it. I can't stand having a hitch on this car but I got to do something. When I go racing my bike isn't street legal so I have to tow it along with all my equipment. When I get the new Postert bumper I will be able to completely hide the hitch until I need it. Until then its going to be a little tacky, but when its done it will be a true "hidden hitch".

I need to tow a jet ski for about a 6 hour drive in a cple weeks....

I am thinking of getting this hidden hitch thing and using that if my MSP rear valence is removable......I also have a 450lb 4wheeler which I would be towing around town on a regular basis on a small utility trailer

hmmm

I actually need to tow the jet ski next weekend and just found out that i wont be able to use my parents' Tahoe so I might order this from JC Whitney and have it overnighted......

I notice on the hiddenhitch web site it has one model "ONLY FOR P5" and another for protege.......what is the difference? is the protege5 one designed to accomodate the lower rear bumper on the p5 which is the same lower bumper on my MSP, in which case I would need the P5 hitch kit? or do the protege and p5 have different places to bolt it into

if someone could post some pics real quick of what their p5 looks like underneath the back i would be SUPER grateful

Hey Don,

can you post a pic of your car and the hitch?

I actually looking to get a hitch for carrying my mountain bike

Thanks!

slug420 said:
I have been very interested int he idea of towing with my protege, in my case, an MSP. What I would be towing is a sea-doo jet ski which I was thinking getting. Im not sure on how heavy they are. As for my mazdaspeed exhaust and rear valence, I could modify the tow kit to work aronud those, my main concern was if there was any part of the car that could handle towing anything at all. And if so what part and how to go about hooking it up.
I have a uhaul trailer hitch on my car, was on there when I bought my mp3...if its not welded I could sell it to you. no use to me

I just put the Hidden Hitch on my P5. Very easy job.

For those that have a trailer - how do you have it wired? I know I need a converter, since we have separate bulbs for the brakes and turns. Where do you have the wires routed? Do you just hang the wire out the hatch? Or is it run underneath someplace? I'm not sure the best way to do it.

I bought the wiring kit from HiddenHitch, it comes in 2 parts, one for the fusible link from the battery to the wiring harnes and the wiring harness itself.

You need to removed the lower back fascia just above the spare tire. I mounted the main harness there against the back wall just in front of the spare next to the rear bumper.

The wiriing that connects to the trailer I just leave in under the carpet until I need it. Then I just pull it out and close the hatch on it. Saves it from being corroded in the winter and looks cleaner when not in use.

a223818 said:
I bought the wiring kit from HiddenHitch, it comes in 2 parts, one for the fusible link from the battery to the wiring harnes and the wiring harness itself.
Where did you hook into the battery?

I see. I thought maybe there was a lead in the back there someplace.

Do you recall which wires you hooked into (which colors)? I don't have a wiring diagram. Sorry for all the dumb questions.

I had a 80 Dodge Colt- FWD, manual trans, 1.6L 4cyl motor. Towed loads as big as a Hobie 18 sailboat behind it. No worries. Same with a 84 Dodge Colt Turbo.

Have a 95 Ford Ranger, towed a 73 Mustang cross-country behind it when it had the original 2.3L 4cyl/5-speed trans/3.45:1 rear end ratio. Only issue was trailer wag scared the crap out of me a time or two, but went away when i slowed down. Actually, had to slow to a full stop to make it stop once.

You can trailer behind small, 4-cyl. cars if you keep your head about you.

Back