P5 engine blown possibly

nek0

My P5 tonight did the unthinkable. It currently has about 67K, was due for timing belt which I was planning...but...

While I was going about 50mph I heard what it sounded like something snapping then spinning really fast. I was able to drive about 1/4 mile and stop on the shoulder. Oh and before I pulled over, the engine was holding at about 2,500rpm...don't know if it was a good sign or not.

When I looked in the engine bay, the plug wire (2nd from right) was completely out. It was dark so I wasn't able to check and see other things. The two belts on the side were intact and I'm assuming my timing belt is not visible.

I did stick the plug wire back & restart it but the engine makes a weird noise and to avoid further damaging anything I just had it towed to the dealership.

Not sure if it's enough information but is my engine done? Is P5 non-interference or interference? If I understand correctly if it's interference design & the timing belt goes it's pretty much done? (Reading through the search I'm getting mixed answer on the P5 engine being which)

I don't even want to know how much it'll cost (or even worth it) to get this car fixed :(

Last edited:
I think if the timing belt goes your car will just stall and you said you drove 1/4 mile afterward so I doubt it was the timing belt.

Also your motor will have a hard time reving if a plug wire came out.

As far as blowing your motor....doubtful, a blown motor is usually followed by a smokey conclusion and you more then likely wouldnt be able to start it again.

Getting it towed was a good idea, whatever it is hopefully you stoped in time and it wont be that bad.

Motor is NON INTERFERENCE

>>Could have blown a plug out (and killed the wire) IF it wasnt torqued correctly.<<

Timing belt is on the passenger side, yes covered with a plastic cover in addition to the valve cover.

Check Engine Light come on?

If it WAS the timing belt, you could have NOT been able to start it.

Yes, the check engine did come on.

So either way the chances of blown motor from what I described is low? No smokes, just weird rattling noise, no weird smells.

I feel a bit relieved!

I dropped off the car at the dealership today. The spark plug was indeed missing!

Any chance that my engine may have been affected? I'm just wondering what the cost would be to get my car fixed at this point :(

Spark Plug missing... thats basically no problem. What you felt was simply the car running on 3 cylinders (poopy, isn't it?)

Cost shouldnt be much.

$50 if they replace the spark plugs probably (stealership!)

Could be more if a wire or coil is damaged.

s6m1l88 said:
Spark Plug missing... thats basically no problem. What you felt was simply the car running on 3 cylinders (poopy, isn't it?)

Cost shouldnt be much.

$50 if they replace the spark plugs probably (stealership!)

Could be more if a wire or coil is damaged.

Sounds like the plug was torqued improperly, as you previously mentioned.

The plug port will probably end up needing a Helicoil or the like. Unfortunate as the head will likely need to come off to be repaired properly.

Back