P5 audio, post your questions here.

leica

:
'03 P5, '93 323
I'm getting ready to do some audio work on my P5, so I thought it would be cool to start a audio questions thread regarding the P5.

P5 audio vets, help out the n00bs!

OK, how the hell do you remove the silver fascia around the stereo and climate controls?

Also, I know that the door speakers are 6x8, but are there adapters made to use other sizes? Is it possible to fit 6x9's or 6 1/2" separates in the front or rear doors without cutting up the door panels?

And are there any aftermarket tweeters that will fit in the stock location?

Basically, what are the best aftermarket speakers to put in the doors?

ive got Power Acoustik NB.1 tweeters (they are amazing)
Blaupunkt 6.5s front and rear
a Pioneer DEH-P390MP
and 2 12" MA Audio Subs with a Power Acoustik LT980 Amp and a 1.5 Farad Capacitor

ive got one of the loudest stereos out of my group of friends lol

redpr5 said:

Do they fit in the stock location? Using a stock (if there is one) crossover?

And how did you install the 6.5's?

I really don't want to cut up anything, and I don't want to use subs either, so I need some good bass producing door speakers.

I am also a newb when it comes to car audio.

I recently upgraded the deck in my protege to a pioneer DEH-P3900MP. I really like the deck, it made the lousy stock speakers bareable.

Then I had my run of bad luck and got in an accident which trashed the rear driver side door. After bringing it to the shop, they took frickin forever to fix the car (it was in the shop for 5 weeks!!!!), I discovered that the stock speaker in that door was busted (it still works, but sounds terrible).

Anyway, I was thinking about buying new speakers in the next week or two. I was thinking pioneer speakers (to match my deck); two 6x8" speakers in the front and two 6 1/2" speakers in the rear doors.

I have a couple questions. Firstly, will I get any bass at all out of this setup? I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an audiophile, so overall quality is not my highest priority. Eventually I'd like to get a sub, but I'm reluctant to take up space in the back.

Next question: Is it worth having a place like BestBuy install the speakers? They offer a warranty on their work and will even let you exchange the speakers if you dont like them within 30 days of installation. Finally, if you decide to sell the car in the future, they will reinstall the old speakers free of charge (I probably wont make use of that personally).

Last edited:
The only thing I am going to say about the speakers is try just running front speakers and no rears. It sounds amazing. Won't be as loud and definatly not good for people sitting in the back, but for sound quality it's very good for the driver and front passenger.
CDT Audio

I've run a ton of different speakers in my various cars. So far, the ones that I feel have performed the best have been...

Infinity Kappa components
Memphis Power Reference series
Memphis M-class
I was impressed with JL Audio sound quality, but not their prices. They're rather high.

Just my $0.02

I would like to know if there are OEM tweeters for a P5/MP3/MSP that can be used with an after-market head-unit with a front speaker output.

I would like the set-up to be nice and clean...I thought I saw some tweeters that we placed in the plastic piece on the front doors, where the bolts to mount the side-view mirrors are. (triangular plastic piece near front of door)

I haven't been able to find a part number for these mounts or tweeters.

If the plastic tweeter mounts are an OEM piece, what after-market tweeters fit in these mounts?

will taking out my factory cdplayer affect anything else in the car? like the alarm(wich i dont have) or anything else?

All Mb Quart for me.

RCE268 5"x7" Front
RCE213 5.25" Rear
RWE254 10" Subwoofer
JL Audio 500/5 5-Channel Amplifier

thejetman said:
will taking out my factory cdplayer affect anything else in the car? like the alarm(wich i dont have) or anything else?
No it will not affect anything.

Last edited:
good. a guy with a jetta said when he pulled his that alot of stuff messed up. mine was pulled before i got it thats all

My 98 Civic LX was like that. The dome light and central locking system didn't work when the factory radio was removed.

redpr5 said:
Blaupunkt 6.5s front and rear
a Pioneer DEH-P390MP
and 2 12" MA Audio Subs with a Power Acoustik LT980 Amp and a 1.5 Farad Capacitor

ive got one of the loudest stereos out of my group of friends lol

Then your friends must have some week systems...lol. Just messing with ya. I looked for you in High Point Friday night but didn't spot your bruised P5. Are you driving it at this point?

Oh and I'd love to know if there's an easy way to get the silver trim piece off from arround the radio too. You don't have to take it off to swap head units though. Just get the removal tools to take out your factory unit and once that's out there's plenty of room to do what you need to do.

Easy way? Not really.

It pops off, but you must disconnect the wires running to it and the cables that control the vents and other HVAC functions. You can disconnect those at the source and then pull the whole thing out. One of the cable actuators connects at the right side of the driver's footwell like at the center console, just behind the HVAC stuff. It is a white thing with a metal rod hooked around it. The other one is on the opposite side, passenger's footwell to the left, behind the glovebox.

leica said:
Do they fit in the stock location? Using a stock (if there is one) crossover?

And how did you install the 6.5's?

I really don't want to cut up anything, and I don't want to use subs either, so I need some good bass producing door speakers.

i had to have a surround made for the front doors seeing as how those are 6x8s
the 6.5s made the sound stage a little narrower so i really had to tune my setup, but it sounds great now...but i think theres something rattleing in the doors either that or the rear speakers cracked (which i doubt they did, gotta pull the door panel this weekend)
if you need good bass speakers why dont you run mid-bass drivers in your rear doors and some nice components up front (such as blaupunkt overdrives..which are AMAZING speakers; and they come with tweeters)

2xsess said:
Then your friends must have some week systems...lol. Just messing with ya. I looked for you in High Point Friday night but didn't spot your bruised P5. Are you driving it at this point?

Oh and I'd love to know if there's an easy way to get the silver trim piece off from arround the radio too. You don't have to take it off to swap head units though. Just get the removal tools to take out your factory unit and once that's out there's plenty of room to do what you need to do.

yea i wasnt out this past weekend. if youre free though roll up to cookout this weekend, ill be up there.
if you want PM me with a cell phone number and i can give you a call when i get up there

and i pulled the silver piece to swap headunits, just made it easier to install the dash kit.

Last edited:
redpr5 said:
and i pulled the silver piece to swap headunits, just made it easier to install the dash kit.

How do you remove that piece? No one a said how to yet. :(

Also, using the rear doors as a sub enclosure sounds like a good idea. Has anyone done this?

just take something flat (i used my knife) and wedge it between the silver piece and the dash and pull towards you, it comes out rather easily, just do it at the corners.
if youd like i can take pictures when i come home from school and post them up

as far as running mid-bass drivers (different from subs) in the rear doors, i would strongly recommend dynamatting the hell outta your doors. because they will rattle pretty bad.
you could probably find a way to run 8" subs in the rear doors, ive seen it done on trucks before (but then again trucks generally have bigger speakers in the doors) but idk how good it would sound, our doors are not that acoustically sound. might be interesting to check out though

Last edited:
leica said:
How do you remove that piece? No one a said how to yet. :(

Also, using the rear doors as a sub enclosure sounds like a good idea. Has anyone done this?

It will just pop off, no screws.

I believe there are 4 pins going into the dash, outer edges near the top & bottom.

If you take the glove-box out you can snake your arm inside and push the bottom pin to get you started. Much easier to use a small putty knife around the edge to get your fingers started, then just pull it, carefully, just like the door panels.

Cool, I'm ready to get started here soon, all I need is a good component setup for the front.....Just to be sure, the fronts are 6x8 correct? On a few other threads some have said they are 5x7. I think I'm going to go with some MB Quarts.....Will the tweeter from the components fit in the stock tweeter location?

I have also decided against rear door speakers all together. I already have a 10" sub in a box so I'll just use it. I originally wanted to be able to save space by using the rear doors but I'm realizing there is no way I'll get near the sound quality, so screw it. I'll just have to take it out when I need the space.

Back